**Cam advice please**

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this cam from a friend who's going big block, so won't be using it. What do y'all think about it in a stock 2bbl 273 engine?

Attachments

• RedlineCamChart.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 224
It should have a bit of chop with the 260 duration but not a lot of lift to be hard on valve train or cause clearance problems. An old school grind but what the heck. I would keep an eye out for a 4 barrel intake and carb though. tmm

It should have a bit of chop with the 260 duration but not a lot of lift to be hard on valve train or cause clearance problems. An old school grind but what the heck. I would keep an eye out for a 4 barrel intake and carb though. tmm

Thanks Mike. This cam is for my Dart 'vert. I already have all the 4bbl stuff on the engine now... It just has the 2bbl pistons still. I had one of the valves stick open in the stock '920 heads, so I'm replacing them with a set of redone '302's I've had around here for a while. I'm also thinking about using this cam as well. Since I'm replacing the "awesome" plastic-geared stock timing chain set with a nice, new steel double roller unit, I might as well replace the 100K mile stock cam as well..

Thanks again.

Well, all 273's (2 and 4bbl) 64-67 came stock with solid lifter cams.

You can see the level of help I am here. lol I didn't know that. 260 in my world is a good street cam. 110 centers should show a little character at idle. Good luck...

He has a 4 barrel intake and carb on it, it was a lower compression 2 barrel engine originally. tmm

If you're looking for little upgrade it's not a bad choice. There may be better cams out there, I don't know, but that one will give you a nice chop at idle and a little performance boost. Don't worry about the low duration number, the small displacement of your engine will make it seem "bigger".

I would look at replacing your valve springs also, especially if they're the originals.

hi, Isky made a simular grind , called it E 4 grind. it's a very good cam for a 273, will fit with stock springs , idles great, and pulls hard. I had one in my 273 dart, loved it. just food for thought.

If you're looking for little upgrade it's not a bad choice. There may be better cams out there, I don't know, but that one will give you a nice chop at idle and a little performance boost. Don't worry about the low duration number, the small displacement of your engine will make it seem "bigger".

I would look at replacing your valve springs also, especially if they're the originals.

Thanks UOP. I was thinking that. They've been all redone about year ago...just sitting in my basement in bags waiting to go on the engine. I also got all the hydraulic valve train with them in case I wanted to change over from solid.:cheers:

hi, Isky made a simular grind , called it E 4 grind. it's a very good cam for a 273, will fit with stock springs , idles great, and pulls hard. I had one in my 273 dart, loved it. just food for thought.

Thank perf....I would probably go E4 if I was buying new, but I'm using this one because I got a screamin' deal on it.:toothy10:

I have a similar cam in my 273.
b8b1f502-1.jpg

-
Back