Cam bearings

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had someone ask me if I ever did cam bearings before. I answered no. But now I wonder about a thing or 2.

Who has a MoPar specific tool to install S/B cam bearings IF theres such a thing?
Could you do this removal and install while the engine was in car or on a stand still assembled?
Help and hints would be great.

My 318 I just started to disassemble is a 300.000+ mile engine that the 1st owner stopped writing things down on in 1989 or 90. When he gave the car to his daughter for collage and then his son for collage in upstate N.Y. (I live down state on the Island and I am the second owner of the car.) I noticed some cam bearing wear. I would like to change out the bearings with hope of not tearing the whole thing down.
Before I took it out in favor of the 400, it ran excellent without oil leaks or burning.

Rumblefish, i'm justa new guy but when i asked this question here in Britain there were two suggestions. If the engine is being rebuilt let the shop do it.
Alternatively, some of the guys made up a tool to press the bearings in/out whilst on the stand without needing a full teardown.
I think the firewall/bulkhead will prevent you doing the job in situ as the rearmost bearing also has a freeze plug to press in.
I chose to let the shop do it as the bearings are easily damaged :thumblef:

To remove and install cam bearings in your motor, you will need a cam bearing installation/removal tool. The standard of the industry tool for this task is made by Lisle and can be used to install cam bearings in almost any conventional engine. The task isn't particularly hard, if you have this tool, which can be found on eBay and local trading posts. For example, here's an eBay link for a used Lisle cam bearing tool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cam-...43998QQitemZ4625521243QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I installed cam bearings in a \6 with a home made tool. I got a piece of 1/2" threaded rod that was longer than the block. A a couple of large fender washers that were larger than the bearing OD and several smaller ones that fit in the ID of the bearing loosely.

One large one I covered with duct tape and that was the surface that pressed the bearing in. The smaller ones I wrapped the OD with duct tape so they wouldn't scratch the bearings.

With nuts on the rod and a washer pressing against the end of the block I was able to press them in without much fuss.

You can use this rig to press in the last bearing with the freeze plug in if you can get the old one out without removing the plug. I did this with the engine torn down on a stand.

The cam slide right in and I put over 30K miles on the \6 before pulling it for the 360.

You need to be real careful that you are starting them straight but once they are started they go right in.

Thanks fellas, this is where i stand with it now, except the cams out. I wanted to do this "On the Cheap" and very if possible. I didn't want to do a total rebuild on it. This is supposed to be a up coming thread and wanted to document it. Theres been alot of questions of late on how to or what to do to my 318. I figured since I have one on a stand....I'd help out with a teen beefing.

I hooked up with BJR on vaction and we chatted on it. Thats what got him to start the cylinder head thread that was succesful. (SP) I told him I was going to do a "On the cheap 318" thread. Nothing fancy. Just some pictures and text to help the noviced out. Help them avoid bad combos and other mistakes.

100_0692.JPG

Rumblefish, The only thing that you'll have to watch is the oil holes, to make sure that they are lined up or the oil pressure to the top of the engine will be very little and the bottom end pressure will be very high. The best way to do this is to have the engine apart so you can see to line the holes up in the blocks main webs and the cam journals.

BJR Racing

Thanks everybody. Going shoping today for a tool.

rumblefish360 said:
Thanks everybody. Going shoping today for a tool.

thanks to you! trying to make it easier for newcomers to wrenching :thumrigh:

Like BJR said..it's easiest if it's all apart, and you shine a light thru the oil holes..I've had issues with hole alignment in the past that cost me a 2nd set of bearings..lol.

duster340, :thumblef: :salut: I think you'll like the thread. I'll show it when I have enuff for begining to end.

moper #-o Hope I can get it right first time. First timer with this tool. Engine is out on creates.

Rumblefish,
It's a piece of cake with the tool, just be patient and 70% of the oil hole is more than adaquate. I'll PM you with another trick in case you mess up.

BJR Racing

..and I have numbers 1,3,4 and 5 if you need them...lol. Damn #2!!!

Well, update time. Ok, no pictures. Long weekend with freinds in town, took a spill on the bike, etc...... I'm OK. Bike will ride later after a quick fix.

However, thats the sob story, Enuff of that. The bearings were actually preety easy to install. The last one went in slightly off set in the oil hole alignment.
I'll take a snap shot tomorrow if time & son allow. I didn't have to fishout any but one bearing. But that wasn't hard. (Coat hangers are great for this task though they weren't needed. Almost did.)

Now it's time to order a cam kit, some exhaust. Gaskets and nick nacks on the way......

The bearings in jumbled order....720 front, 721 second, 723 third then ok from there.
Moper, got that up front bearing handy?
At least the Harley's up and running. Good to go.

100_0721.JPG

100_0724.JPG

100_0725.JPG

100_0720.JPG

100_0723.JPG

-
Back