cam choice for fairly high compression?

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Hey all I have a magnum headed 360 LA i'm putting in a a truck, its a street romper/ strip vehicle. no towing or daily driving.
The engine is pretty much together but need a camshaft still.
Anyways, .030 over 360
kb107 pistons, stock rods arp bolts
heads are stock valve size, but stainless valves, ported, flow well "too bad I cant find flow sheet" remember they were pretty much done at .550
compression is measured at 10.6 to 1!!!!!! little high. quench is set at .038 Heads are good only to around .540 lift can go .550 but its on the edge. springs are 125psi seat, and 320 open at .550
Intake is a cleaned up perf rpm airgap
750 double pump
1 5/8 headers.
has adjustable valve train, so can go solid or hydro. but have 1.6 ratio rockers, but have a friend willing to trade me for a set of 1.5 rockers.
drive train is a built 904, 10 3000 stall converter, built tight for street driving.
8 1/4 rear with 3.73s will be getting a ford 8.8 with 4.10s in a few months.
guessing it might weight 4000 lbs, maybe less when done :dontknow:

So thats what I have not worried about vacuum or economy, might get ac someday, i have been looking at a couple cams, such as xe 274, comp 280h, but dont know exactly how well those would work with my compression ratio.
so any thoughts on cam choice?
Thanks!!!!!!!

You are pretty much spot on for compression/cam match..The 340's back in the day were 10.5 motors and cams you just mentioned were great and now days with them ground to take advantage of the larger tappet diam. of a mopar so I say you are spot on..

P.S the better magnum combustion chamber and much better exhaust port and ported on top of that,it should be bad ***....

Look at the Isky line. They have grinds that are comparatively low lift with some fat duration figures. Duration and a late intake valve closing event are what you need to keep cylinder pressure from being too high. Lift has nothing to do with it.

What do you guys think about this cam?
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=641&sb=0

with 1.6 rockers lift is .517

Too small, better with 1.6 rockers but still on the small side for your combo IMO. I'm running Hughes Whiplash cam which is .512/.518 lift on a warmed over otherwise stock 360. I'd go solid and take advantage of the 1.5 ratio adjustable rockers you can trade for and go with something like this.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...&level2=RmxhdCBUYXBwZXQsIFNvbGlk&partid=21799

Thanks guys. I think i might hold off and, put a hydraulic roller in later in the year and go ahead and build the heads to handle more lift.
Been thinking about other options. i have a 360 I built a couple years ago. its a stock rebuilt short block, factory style pistons, sit way down in the bore think it was around 8.5 to 1. Has almost stock magnum heads, little cleanup done. has a crappy edelbrock performer cam, which Im thinking about swapping out for my extra comp xe262. Use the performer rpm that i have and my 650 holley. Do you think this would be ok with a tight 3000 stall, and 3.73 gears? its just temp and will be changed next year.

Thanks guys. I think i might hold off and, put a hydraulic roller in later in the year and go ahead and build the heads to handle more lift.
Been thinking about other options. i have a 360 I built a couple years ago. its a stock rebuilt short block, factory style pistons, sit way down in the bore think it was around 8.5 to 1. Has almost stock magnum heads, little cleanup done. has a crappy edelbrock performer cam, which Im thinking about swapping out for my extra comp xe262. Use the performer rpm that i have and my 650 holley. Do you think this would be ok with a tight 3000 stall, and 3.73 gears? its just temp and will be changed next year.

I think that would run great the stall and gears should be plenty as that cam isn't very big.

-
Back