Cam/Engine Critique Please:

-

4woody

Reaction score
The engine is a Magnum 360 bored/stroked to 406. The engine is out of a 4WD truck, so was built with torque in mind. The cam info I have is: CompCams custom grind lift .507 int/ext Duration @ .050 224/int 230/ext.

Would this be OK in my street driven 2 ton car (which has 3.0 rear gears now, though that could be changed).

The rest of what I know:

1997 Dodge Magnum

Block

Crankshaft Nodular 4.00" stroke

Mopar Performance pistons P5007730 4.020"

Sealed Power Moly rings E-251K020

Eagle Rods 6123cb

Federal Mogul main bearings 4999ma rod bearings 8-7125ch

Melling HV oil pump M-72HV

CompCams custom grind lift .507 int/ext Duration @ .050 224/int 230/ext

Mopar Performance roller lifters P5249862

Mopar Performance Double roller timing chain P5249267

Mopar Performance timing chain tensioner P5007709

Mopar Performance gasket set P4876249

Heads

Believed to be Pro Topline casting
HD casting 1.92/1.625 ported & polished
Mopar Performance springs P4876062
Retainers P4452032 & locks P4529218

I welcome your input.

I'll take a stab, although you didn't note the induction system or compression, or exhaust...?... all of which plays into the equation.

Anywho - If it's a 4X4 haul'n 2 tons, you need to select a cam with minimal overlap, like 20 to 30 degrees. That cam looks potent, if the overlap is in that range.

Just my 1 cents.

I'd say it should work fine. 2 tons with 3.0 gears needs a lot of torque to get it moving and a 406 with that cam should produce a lot of torque.

I'll take a stab, although you didn't note the induction system or compression, or exhaust...?... all of which plays into the equation.

Anywho - If it's a 4X4 haul'n 2 tons, you need to select a cam with minimal overlap, like 20 to 30 degrees. That cam looks potent, if the overlap is in that range.

Just my 1 cents.

Oops, missing info is:

I'd be taking off F.I. stuff and getting an intake and carb specifically for this engine.

Exhaust: probably cheap shorty headers or factory manifolds.

I think it'll be fine. You mention 3.0 gears. That exact ratio was never availeable. 2.97 or 3.21/3.23 were the closest. Tire size has a play as well. Do not go to much taller than stock. Yeild at 26 inch.

I suggest saving for tti headers.

I think it'll be fine. You mention 3.0 gears. That exact ratio was never availeable. 2.97 or 3.21/3.23 were the closest. Tire size has a play as well. Do not go to much taller than stock. Yeild at 26 inch.

I suggest saving for tti headers.

This is in a mildly rodded '38 Chrysler. The rear is a F*rd 8" w/3.0 gears. Tires are ~27". Wheel & tire size will probably have to stay the same as under the big, bulbous fenders there really isn't much usable room, and it would just look wrong with 14".

Here's the victim:
38Chryslerfrontpass.jpg

It'll never work. Pack it all up and send it to me car and all.

IDK how this worked it's way in there
and it would just look wrong with 14".
I never mentioned rim(Actual) wheel) size, just tire diameter.
Nice car. I can see where the tti headers may be a problem. LOL!
Shorty headers it may be.

Love the car and color combo! Sounds like it's gonna be a really fun cruiser.
Love to see it down here in SoCal sometime. Maybe Spring Fling next April?

Love the car and color combo! Sounds like it's gonna be a really fun cruiser.
Love to see it down here in SoCal sometime. Maybe Spring Fling next April?

It's possible it might be down there for a show. I was brought up in the SFV, and still have a few friends there.

We always go to Santa Maria the Memorial Day West Coast Kustoms show, and I'm going to the GNRS next month, but probably not driving the '38 to that.

I'm wimpy, but 6-8 hours in the convertible is a long drive.

The '38's big butt at Santa Maria last year:
38Chryslerrearpass.jpg

-
Back