Cam & engine gurus gtf in her meow!

-
given the info you provided i agree
that cam would work on a fast driving curves and all that in a light vehicle kind of cam
post up that compression
but it's not going to be fun
return it
comp has nothing for you
lunati or the short Howards but go easy on the springs
no thumper thats for a drive in cruz not a driver
and idk if there is a thumper that closes the intake around low 50's ABDC

Did I mention I'm doing full exhaust, rpm air gap & 4bbl carb?

Should go without saying if you're doing a cam..

None of that will help motivate two tons of steel to get off from a stop. The power and torque won't be appreciable until 2-2500 rpm, and a stock converter is going to lug that motor down below that for what will feel like an eternity.

If your budget can take it, call and get a decent converter (search around for company recommendations). Be honest about what you do with the vehicle and what you want - something suited to towing would not be out of place, IMO.

Should go without saying if you're doing a cam..

None of that will help motivate two tons of steel to get off from a stop. The power and torque won't be appreciable until 2-2500 rpm, and a stock converter is going to lug that motor down below that for what will feel like an eternity.

If your budget can take it, call and get a decent converter (search around for company recommendations). Be honest about what you do with the vehicle and what you want - something suited to towing would not be out of place, IMO.

Thats all I do with this truck. It gets me to the gym, gas station and to walmart in the next town over. I'm not looking to turn it into a performance machine at all.

All I wanted was a nice choppy idle sound. That's it no light to light racing, no tire roasting, nothing. Just a choppy idle.

Thats all I do with this truck. It gets me to the gym, gas station and to walmart in the next town over. I'm not looking to turn it into a performance machine at all.

All I wanted was a nice choppy idle sound. That's it no light to light racing, no tire roasting, nothing. Just a choppy idle.

Yeah, but that idle comes at the expense of low end. You'll have to get past stall on the converter before it really begins to move. It'll be worse than it is now and will look and sound like hell every time you leave the light.

You might feel like a hero at the light, but it will be embarrassing until you cross the next crosswalk.

Start with the intake, carb, headers and exhaust. I bet even with a stock cam it will sound mean and not also drive like crap.

Surprised nobody recommended a custom grind. Is there a cutoff point to when one is and isn’t called for or something? Not a common option but how about in the 258-264 advertised range and slap em on a 106 LSA, use a faster “lift limit” lobe or? (since no specific size lifter has been mentioned I assume anything goes?) certainly someone could spec out something to suit for the guy, better than compromising with those dreaded shelf grinds!

Last edited:
Yeah, but that idle comes at the expense of low end. You'll have to get past stall on the converter before it really begins to move. It'll be worse than it is now and will look and sound like hell every time you leave the light.

You might feel like a hero at the light, but it will be embarrassing until you cross the next crosswalk.

Start with the intake, carb, headers and exhaust. I bet even with a stock cam it will sound mean and not also drive like crap.

O, I get it now. Alright, I see what everyone's been saying all along.

Ok, but a convertor and gears can save this cam, right? How big of a stall would I need?

hughes engines... whiplash cam... give ya your lumpity lump lump and might just cross the street!

Put a big muffler on it and use a high flow cat, if you're using a cat, and it will have a much deeper throaty sound. It won't be 'choppy' but will sound like v-8 'cause it is one.
Take everyones's advice. Just about everyone here has gone too big for their street vehicle at least once...

Rhoads lifters would help some.
That will add some clackity clack as well.
But all this is just making it more complicated and expensive.

O, I get it now. Alright, I see what everyone's been saying all along.

Ok, but a convertor and gears can save this cam, right? How big of a stall would I need?

You asked for gurus, but I'm not one.. I'd call a converter company and see what they recommend. You'll want something that doesn't slip much at highway rpm, so your anticipated cruise speed and gear will matter a LOT. Even then, you may not be happy on the first try..

For a truck, depending on what kind of tires you run, I'd be looking at 3.55 to 3.91s. But you're in Texas where speed limits aren't as oppressive as many places.. So you may want to try less gear, but that will tighten the window of operation some.

BTW, if you had more stroke and compression, it would be a different story...

Gym, Gas Station, Wal-Mart ?
Not looking to turn it into a performance machine ?
Then why add a cam, intake, carb, etc ?
Put gas in it and go.

Put gas in it and go.

Exactly. The OP is stepping right on his dick and his truck will be neither cool or fast. It will sound like it kicks *** (maybe, I even doubt that) and it won't pull a hat off your head in a wind storm.

Another example of wanting to look some part and not act the part.

Put gas in it and go.

Because I want a choppy idle sound and I foolishly thought a intake, carb & exhaust would suffice what I thought was a very very mild cam.

Exactly. The OP is stepping right on his dick and his truck will be neither cool or fast. It will sound like it kicks *** (maybe, I even doubt that) and it won't pull a hat off your head in a wind storm.

Another example of wanting to look some part and not act the part.

If I could step on my dick I wouldn't be in the oilfield. I'd be making movies.

Surprised nobody recommended a custom grind. Is there a cutoff point to when one is and isn’t called for or something? Not a common option but how about in the 258-264 advertised range and slap em on a 106 LSA, use a faster “lift limit” lobe or? (since no specific size lifter has been mentioned I assume anything goes?) certainly someone could spec out something to suit for the guy, better than compromising with those dreaded shelf grinds!

Probably because custom are usually aimed at best power for the combo. I'd be hard pressed to believe any serious cam grinder is going to suggest anything much different from a "shelf grind" for a guy who only wants more rumpity rump.. Maybe someone would make a slow (intake) opening cam with a fast closing side, and a super lazy exhaust lobe? Pretty much the exact opposite of what most cam grinders have spent time developing though. But who knows? I'm wrong as often as I'm not (on a good day).

4 barrel, headers, exhaust and an airgap will only improve what he has, and in my mind will still sound much better than stock. My stocker 2bbl 318 with the stock 2-2 muffler and pipes hacked at the rear axle doesn't sound half bad to me, and I can still hold a conversation inside that pile of junk as I go down the road..

A better than stock converter will help drivability even with the stock cam, then at that point a cam makes more sense. Hell, I'd start with the stock intake and carb and just do the exhaust first to see how she sounds.. But that's just me.

At this level of engine I wouldn't even recommend the RPM airgap. Edelbrock performer 318/360 gasket matched to 340-360 port size is a better choice, or a Weiand stealth (it's 318 port size, but it's nearly identical to the old Edelbrock LD4B intake), or factory iron non EGR four barrel intake. If I were bound and intent on camming it up for a little extra sound, I wouldn't run any more than this grind, COMP Cams Specialty Camshafts 20-306-4 and I would install it at 4 degrees advanced, too boot. The rump rump chop chop idle just isn't worth it to have a vehicle that can't even safely merge into traffic.

The engine is a 360 thats in a 1986 d150. The truck is completely stock.
The comp rep said it was a very mild cam.
Being a truck, it likely has exhaust rotators on it, The "rep" didn't mention anything about the likelihood of a coil bind issue with the exhausts? Or was there further discussion making note that springs/ retainers would be needed also?

... what I thought was a very very mild cam.

It is, but your truck is heavy..
That cam will give you some sound, and you may not hate it. But it's just big enough to be a dog off the line unless you give it a little help.. You won't need 5k stall and 4.10s, but it will take something to not make it slower than stock.

You may even be OK with it, but it's tough to say it will be a "good" combo. As has been said, we've all gone too big and wished for less. But if your expectations aren't high and you don't mind tinkering and aren't against the idea of a new converter at some point, go with the cam and think about advancing it a few more degrees. It's not as if you can't undo anything you're doing and cams are cheap (relatively).

If you take the advice here and go smaller, you may not get as much of the noise you want and find that the change in low end is acceptable and you'll regret not using this one.. So no matter what, you risk regret. Question is, how much of it can you afford? ;)

What size of tires are you running on it and how far away is the next town over?

I appreciate everybody's advice, I really do. Like I said earlier I should have posted the cam spec's before I placed the order and I'm sure we could have found something better.

I'll send the cam back but will still install the other mods since I don't feel like messing with shipping and most of the parts besides the sniper kit have been in storage for 2 years so I don't think I can get a refund on them.

So thanks to ya that can in and had patience with my ignorance and actually gave advice.

And to those that came in just to take shots at me, thank you too.

I got to see some of your true colors.

-
Back