Cam & head upgrade 360 mag

-
my 300 crate really woke up with a hughes 1828 cam(544/228) and a eddy air gap.im guessing 360-380 hp.

Pjc, the M1 dual plane is a copy of the factory intake and as such, the ports should be the same..-ish.. I say the "ish" because there have been minor casting flaws as over the years, the sizes change ever so slightly. I would say basically it is a 1 X 2 port. If you measure it, it may come in with an additional 1/16. Is it a big deal? Not really. 15 minutes with a dremal and you can clean that up and match it to the head.

I do not know "exactly" how much power can be made by by the intake but by the time you start finding out the limits, you will have already swapped it a RPM or M1. Year back the factory to use that the stock intake was a capable intake. Thus the reason for them making an aluminum copy for there catolog and racers. There suggestion to move to there single plane, at the time, was justified and made sense. Even more so since at the time, there was no such thing as a RPM. Though the LD-340 & the Action plus were also a very capable intake.
The six pack was recommended at the 12 second bracket (arguable move) and the single plane M1 is (and this is weird) was recommended @ the 13 & 12.5 bracket and not again until the 10:90 bracket. I don't think your looking to run 10:90's or quicker yet. And you don't need that intake to run 13'S or 12.5's!

Nice cam jds. I will have a similar Lunati going into my wife's 360 for her Cuda. I had used a similar Crane Hyd. Several times for a good powered street ride.
You were probably making an honest 340/350 HP. The 380/360 used the M1 single and a Hyd. roller @ 288/292 duration that IIRC reading somewhere had a duration @.050 of 224 or 228 intake. I really don't remember exactly, but I was surprised at how small it was and the power it made.

Nice cam jds. I will have a similar Lunati going into my wife's 360 for her Cuda. I had used a similar Crane Hyd. Several times for a good powered street ride.
You were probably making an honest 340/350 HP. The 380/360 used the M1 single and a Hyd. roller @ 288/292 duration that IIRC reading somewhere had a duration @.050 of 224 or 228 intake. I really don't remember exactly, but I was surprised at how small it was and the power it made.

Rob ,230/[email protected] ,on a 108 lobe center...( factory 380 hyd roller cam...)

Oh chit! Thanks! I'm really off! Yikes!

I sit corrected.

I didn't plan on swapping to the air-gap, I was running the edelbrock air-gap and I didn't like the way it performed in cold weather, i live in Montana where it gets real cold and the engine felt sluggish with the air gap when it was real cold out, and the fuel mileage was suffering.
When I swapped back to the mopar dual plane m1 I noticed it ran much better in cold weather and I also noticed slightly better fuel mileage.

A lot of ppl trash the m1 dual plane intake, saying its just a stock intake and they don't perform that well. I was just wondering why ppl don't really like them?
If they can support 400hp that seems like a decent manifold to me, and doesn't the m1 dual plane have larger ports and larger runners over the factory cast iron 4bbl intakes?
I thought I read that somewhere, and I like the position of the thermostat housing and the by pass hose better on this dual plane m1 over the air-gap, it just looks better and the hoses fit better in my opinion. And I like where the vaccum port is for the power brakes on this dual plane m1 over it being on the passenger side on the air-gap.

The M1 Dual Plane has a coolant port that runs from the thermostat housing area to the bottom of the plenum floor to help atomize the fuel;great for folks in cold weather environments.
When I removed the M1 dual plane from my 300hp crate the only area that did not line up with the head intake ports was the floor. Dropping the intake floor about an 1/8" would of fixed that. Port width on the intake and head was good.

Attachments

• intake m1 pics 001 (640x477).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 133
  • intake m1 pics 003 (640x471).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 149
What lsa do you want in a heavy truck? A higher lsa or a lower one?

Well camshaft lsa confuses me. Some people say a lower number lsa will give you better torque down low and in the mid range rpm and a little tougher idle. Some
People claim that lower lsa numbered cams provide poor low to
Mid range torque with a rougher idle and more top end power.
Then some people claim the higher lsa cams provide the better low to mid range torque and a better idle.
I'm no camshaft expert at all, that's why I'm asking questions. So far what I've learned is that advertised duration isn't really that important, the advertised duration @ .50 is what's important, higher duration @ .50 moves the power band up in the rpm range, lower duration @ .50 moves the power band lower in the rpm range.
The lift I still don't fully understand, but I know the more lift the cam has the further the intake and exhaust valves are opened. How much lift you want is still confusing to me.
And camshaft lsa is still confusing to me because there are so many different opinions on what a lower or higher lsa number does.

112 deg to a minimum of 110 deg for your vehicle . 112 will give you better low end torque, keep from lowering your static compression and give you a good vac signal for your carb.

What about a 114 lsa? Is that too much for what I want to do?
I see on Hughes camshafts for the magnums they ether have a 110 or 114 lsa.
Nothing in between really.

114 is primarily for FI, I think for heavier vehicle 112 is good, 110 will bump up curve into new converter territory pretty quick.

How does this lunati cam look, part number is 20200711.
The duration is 219/227 @50 valve lift is .515 intake and .530 exhaust. With an lsa of 112.

-
Back