Cam install question - HELP!

-

octanejunkie

Mopar Padawan
Reaction score
Ok got a roller cam for my '99 magnum 360, cam bearing were already installed by PO.

Cleaned and lubed shaft and bearings.

Cam slides in easily through all bearings except it WON'T SEAT -the front bearing seems REALLY tight, like tap it in with a mallet tight; so I did

Tried the cam backwards to see if it was just the front bearing that was tight and it does appear to be rather snug - I have to assume the rear is equally snug, or more so, as it WILL NOT turn by hand when "installed"

What to do?

Did you try to turn it with the sprocket and a shop towel/glove ?

Remove the cam. then use a single edge razor blade (I like utility knife blades) to shave the areas that appear shiney on teh front bearing. My impression is if there is a problem, it's either #5, or #1. Usually #1 because you can't use the aligning cone to put that one in, and the #5 is a ways away from that cone when it's installed. It's very common to have to cut teh bearings. Don't use any abrasive or hone on them. Just lightly shave away the material with the edge of the blade. (blade upright, with the cutting edge flat accross the bearing surface and moving it around the ID keeping the blade flat and the edge as close to 90° to the bearing surface as you can.)

had the same problem; first put the cam in backwards - so you can see if the first bearing is still a problem. Maybe you can correct this if it´s not perfectly centered.

I cut diagonal grooves in all the journals and put the cam back in, with some rotation it will remove the high spots. Had good Luck with some lapping compound and the cordless drill.

Michael

Also, just to be sure, the cam is clean, nothing on it at all right?

Sometimes the cams come a bit sticky with dried oil/protectorant that gums up.

I will look at the #1 and #5 bearings more closely and address the shiny spots - I like the lapping compound idea but not sure how it wouldn't just get pushed out - don't like the idea of scoring the journals though

I did clean the cam well and also tried it backwards. Going to take the block off the stand and the cam backwards in #5 since I haven't installed the plugs yet.

My concern was that perhaps the cam was bent...

All good input fellas, thanks!

DONT use lapping compund or any abrasive. The bearing is designed to imbed material a small amount of material like that. A lot of it will ruin the bearing, and possibly the cam. Addditionally, the feeds to the rockers will get the abrasive into them and it can't be removed completly without removing the cam bearings. You dont want abrasive material of any kind near those bearings. That would be why cam bearing scrapers have been in use since gasoline engines had metal cam bearings.

Since the front bearing catches all the torque load from the drive sprocket and chain, Would the cam mfgrs grind that front journal a tenth or 2 larger ?

I doubt it. But that is why the #1 bearing has a full oil groove.

-
Back