Cam plug sealant?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I want to install my cam plug but, I don't know what to use for a sealer. My dad says to use this stuff with an Indian on the bottle. My mopar buddy says to use aviation cement. I don't have either ATM. I do have JB Weld, which i am thinking might work.

I couldn't find anything in the book. What do you guys use? This is going in front of a stick so it cant leak.

I want to install my cam plug but, I don't know what to use for a sealer. My dad says to use this stuff with an Indian on the bottle. My mopar buddy says to use aviation cement. I don't have either ATM. I do have JB Weld, which i am thinking might work.

I couldn't find anything in the book. What do you guys use? This is going in front of a stick so it cant leak.

I probably wouldn't use JB weld, may never come out again though.:)

Been a while but i just used a thin little bead of permatex.

If the cap is the concave disc one (earlier)... You use a littl bit of Ultra Grey or Black, and make sure you whack it hard enough to expand it enough. The later press in one I do the same, but no silicone on the pliug. Put the plug in dry just like a freeze plug, then use a little grey in the seam behind the plug to stop any seapage.

Well i found out what the weird Indian stuff my dad was talking about is called. Its called Indian head gasket shellac. My local autozone had it in stock so i went down and grabbed it for 5 bucks. Put it on there and put the plug in. If rtv works this stuff should work good too.

thanks for the replies.

Indian Head should work, along with everything except JB Weld. I would have to dig out my service manual and find out what Ma Mopar thought was best. But that was old technology and todays' sealers should serve the purpose. Like Moper said you need to dent the center of the plug pretty good to expand it. Here's a photo: (sorry for the blur)

Attachments

• 100_5151.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 481
OOps, guess I better dimple mine before I bolt it up! ;-)

-
Back