Cam question

-

mocar

Reaction score
Im installing a new cam in my 360 block,I didn't take the motor apart so I need some help.Beside the cam retaining plate is there suppose to be a washer behind the cam drive gear? It seems to me that the cam moves to far forward making the cam lobes not line up on center of the lifters. This is a lunati towing cam solid hydraulic.

No washer, the cam will center itself. The timing chain will keep it straight.
This setup has been ran on many cars over the years.
You can run a gear drive if you are worried about the cam moving.

When you bolt the cam sprocket on it shouldn't have any front to rear play? Does it have play with the sprocket bolted on ?

The cam lobes are NOT supposed to be in the center of the lifter- they are offset to induce rotation
the lifter is crowned with a radius
the cam lobes are tapered to match the lifter radius (and vice versa) so lifter edge does not dig into the cam lobe
the taper forces the cam back against the block
drill small holes in the oil galley plugs if they are not already there to provide oil for the timing chain and to bleed any trapped air or bubbles
roller cams have no taper so they do need a thrust plate/ button depending on motor to control thrust

I think the oil pump making pressure will hold the cam from walking, as it always has pressure in one direction on the cam. Unless you are using a belt drive dry sump system.

Im installing a new cam in my 360 block,I didn't take the motor apart so I need some help.Beside the cam retaining plate is there suppose to be a washer behind the cam drive gear? It seems to me that the cam moves to far forward making the cam lobes not line up on center of the lifters. This is a lunati towing cam solid hydraulic.
Check the back of the plate; it should be dead flat.
Your cam can't be both solid and hydraulic
You can't put flat tappets on a roller cam nor vice-versa
A new flat tappet cam has to have new matching lifters,, so
if this is an in-chassis install;you are gonna have to remove the rocker gear and the intake, to get the old lifters out. Do not try to take the cam out without first taking out the lifters. If the cam is still good, you can reuse it with the existing lifters IF you keep all the lifters in proper sequence.
If the engine is on the stand, and the old cam is already trashed then....... carry on,lol.

Last edited:
Is there a fuel pump pushrod to come out first
been working on big blocks and magnums too long

I think the oil pump making pressure will hold the cam from walking, as it always has pressure in one direction on the cam. Unless you are using a belt drive dry sump system.

Exactly! The oil pump drive gear and cam are helical cut so it will thrust the cam one direction only. And with a decent amount of force since the pump is a constant load, on or off throttle.

-
Back