cam rpm range on stroker

-
My cam was rated for 2800 to 6500 and it seems pretty accurate even with a 408. With the right cam and other parts even stock out of the box Edelbrock heads can make good power. I made 485 hp and 511 ft/lbs tq with ootb untouched Edelbrock heads (I wish they were Victor lol). Cam is a Howard's 711351-08. Has 244/248 @ 050. 108 LSA, .578 lift and I'm using Comp Cams roller rockers 1.5. 10.1 comp ratio. Peak HP at 5700 rpm if I remember correctly. We only went to 6200 rpm on the dyno but it had only dropped 20 hp off peak at 6200 so it seemed to be going pretty strong still.

My cam was rated for 2800 to 6500 and it seems pretty accurate even with a 408. With the right cam and other parts even stock out of the box Edelbrock heads can make good power. I made 485 hp and 511 ft/lbs tq with ootb untouched Edelbrock heads (I wish they were Victor lol). Cam is a Howard's 711351-08. Has 244/248 @ 050. 108 LSA, .578 lift and I'm using Comp Cams roller rockers 1.5. 10.1 comp ratio. Peak HP at 5700 rpm if I remember correctly. We only went to 6200 rpm on the dyno but it had only dropped 20 hp off peak at 6200 so it seemed to be going pretty strong still.
Port the heads and you’ll find the cam will go the missing rpm’s. And a bunch more up as well! LOL!

The reason I give the heads star status. Its ultimately gonna set the stage. How much hp we can make and at what rpm for a given displacement and give the cam a supportive role because its either gonna allow us to take full advantage of those heads or some fraction of the power and rpm available. Obviously with intake/exhaust cr etc.. rounding out the duties.

I was about to hit the Disagree button, but had a quick change of heart.
I agree and this is why.

340-9.4:1 compression-.474/280 purple cam.
Stock 360 (1.88/1.60) Power fell off at 5800 rpm. Dropped a valve(my own stupidity) had to replace 340 and had to have one hardened intake seat and all the exh's got hardened seats.

These seats left a big lip that i ground down all the way into the bowl. Opened up the exh exit as well(not a good idea!)
Had one intake hardened seat with a big ski jump at the bottom of the hardened seat. Ground it out, made templet to make all the intake bowls the same, did some clean up in the port and installed them on the short block.

Nothing changed but the heads!
Top rpm when from 5800 to 7000!! Same cam degreed in the same, same compression.
Replaced the head because it killed the lower end(like a big cam would do) and slowed down my et by a full sec.

The launch was like gramps in a easy chair, then about 60 foot out, it would take off like a 2 stroke on the pipe.

So yeah i agree, the head can be the " Star"

Are your heads the Edelbrock 440 RPM heads or the small block heads? As far as I know there are only three sets of the 440 RPM heads that flow like roccodart440's. Another set made 787 HP on a pump gas 451 stroker. The third set rests quietly, going no place ever, on a shelf here in the shop.

But they are going no where fast!

Im running the same exact cam and rockers, 10.1cr heres my dyno sheet
408dynosheet.pdf

Attachments

• 408dynosheet.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 625
How was the idle and driving charactoristics with that cam ?
I will be running a similar grind 246/250 @.050 108 lsa.. .648 lift with 1.6 rockers. W2s flowing 297@.650....

I haven't run it yet, I just got it in a couple weeks ago and still have along way to go with the car. But the Dyno guy said its pretty aggressive, which has me a little worried. I plan on running fuel injection so im hoping that will help a little bit. BTW just eddy rpm's heads with a good Valve Job, no porting.

894635-03e2442486e78892684b2904e277ed98.jpg

That leads me into another question.. If I feel it idles to radically, will 1.5 ratio rockers calm it down?

I havent got a clue... I really dont know what to expect from this combo...

Funny stuff. I drive anything i have on the street that i race.
Never had a cam smaller than 260@50 on a stroker, some of these cams are leaving lots of power/ ET on the table. 4 inch cranks eat tons of duration.

Im running the same exact cam and rockers, 10.1cr heres my dyno sheet
408dynosheet.pdf

Nice! When I talked to Bill a few weeks ago he told me my combo wasn't unique anymore because someone else had ordered up a 408 and went with the bigger cam like I used after seeing my dyno sheet. Looks like you got a little more out of it then I did though. BTW I switched out my valve covers with some MP ones with taller clearance because I could see they had to "clearance" the oil deflector on their chrome valve covers.

I'll hopefully be getting my car started in the next week. Just finished the new fuel system and redoing all the wiring and installed my hydraulic clutch system so the engine bay is finally ready for the motor and transmission. I'll definitely be taking a video of it starting up. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

20180119_160324.jpg

Nice! When I talked to Bill a few weeks ago he told me my combo wasn't unique anymore because someone else had ordered up a 408 and went with the bigger cam like I used after seeing my dyno sheet. Looks like you got a little more out of it then I did though. BTW I switched out my valve covers with some MP ones with taller clearance because I could see they had to "clearance" the oil deflector on their chrome valve covers.

I'll hopefully be getting my car started in the next week. Just finished the new fuel system and redoing all the wiring and installed my hydraulic clutch system so the engine bay is finally ready for the motor and transmission. I'll definitely be taking a video of it starting up. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

View attachment 1715166387
That's so Awesome! Bill told me about your motor and I said yes do that! Please let me know how she runs, its going to be some time before I have mine ready to go. I also got new covers because of the clearance problem, I let them know about the problem and they worked with me to get some that will clear. I got these ones coming..
dcc-5155525_xl.jpg
Mopar Performance Fabricated Valve Covers P5155525 - Free ...

www.summitracing.com

That's so Awesome! Bill told me about your motor and I said yes do that! Please let me know how she runs, its going to be some time before I have mine ready to go. I also got new covers because of the clearance problem, I let them know about the problem and they worked with me to get some that will clear. I got these ones coming..
View attachment 1715166423
Mopar Performance Fabricated Valve Covers P5155525 - Free ...
www.summitracing.com

Those are some nice valve covers!

How was the idle and driving charactoristics with that cam ?
I will be running a similar grind 246/250 @.050 108 lsa.. .648 lift with 1.6 rockers. W2s flowing 297@.650....

Your combo should be in the 10's when everything is working right.

My old 410 combo had ported Edelbrocks flowing 293, a small street roller 248/254 @ ~.575 lift...after sorting it all out it ran a best of 10.54 @126mph, but would regularly run 10.7's in the summer air (all times were in street trim, through the mufflers, driven to the track most days).

Nice !
How were the street manners of your 410 ?
Good, but its all subjective. I can put up with a lot.

The idle was really choppy (loved it), and it didn't like part throttle that much...but I thought it was fine. I'm currently re-building a nastier version of that motor with a bigger solid cam and more compression...shooting for low 10's.

Are you sure the part throttle issue wasnt in the tune ? Were you running a vacuum advance ?

I'm sure it is my tune, but I was not willing to adjust my WOT race setup to make it a little nicer on the street, like I said, I can live with a lot....my car is ~75% race and ~25% street.

Vacuum advance...is that when you vacuum before guests come to your house?....Seriously though, no, I have a mechanical and it is locked @ 34°.

Last edited:
-
Back