cam rpm range on stroker

-
@dart19666 aka shane can make you a custom one to your application if you want to pm him here, he works for crower. He made me one for my build.

Heads have way more to do with powerband then cam. Take the most popular 285 type cam its use every displacement imaginable with tons of different head style and flow capabilities but can have a vastly different powerbands.

The heads are going to be edelbrock rpm with some port work so not extreme flow by any means and really was not looking to be over 6500

The heads are going to be edelbrock rpm with some port work so not extreme flow by any means and really was not looking to be over 6500

Mine flow 345. That isn't too shaby

Heads have way more to do with powerband then cam. Take the most popular 285 type cam its use every displacement imaginable with tons of different head style and flow capabilities but can have a vastly different powerbands.
Disagree but will agree that when the two are put together the results can be spectacular!

Heads, stock to ported allow the cam, based on how well the heads breath, the rpm, room, ceiling and the broader and higher power curves. The more we’ll ported the head, the broader the curve could be.

Could be?

Yes! “Could be!”
Because the cam is the other half.

?The popular 285 cam?
LMAO!!!!
WTF is that?
Never heard of one. Is that like the old, no longer made 3/4 cam?

Disagree but will agree that when the two are put together the results can be spectacular!

Heads, stock to ported allow the cam, based on how well the heads breath, the rpm, room, ceiling and the broader and higher power curves. The more we’ll ported the head, the broader the curve could be.

Could be?

Yes! “Could be!”
Because the cam is the other half.

?The popular 285 cam?
LMAO!!!!
WTF is that?
Never heard of one. Is that like the old, no longer made 3/4 cam?

What I mean by popular 285 cam. For most building a street strip engine is gonna probably pick around 285 degree. Its a good compromise between street and race. In almost all cam lines. No matter 4 cyl, /6, 273 to 440.

My create is a 288 cam.

2nd what i was trying to say about heads being the main factor in an engines ability.

If you took stock heads of a 273/318 or 1.88 340/360 or 2.02 x or eq or eddy or w2 or w5 or w7,8,9 or the new trick etc.. or ported version of any of those and put them on a 10:1 340 short block with say a xe285hl cam the powerbands and the hp numbers are gonna be vastly different.

Yes its all about the cam head combo but the heads have a staring role cam only has a supportive role.

Last edited:
I think many are saying the same thing in different ways....
But you do choose a cam that will work with your heads . You dont choose a head that will work with your cam choice. Unless of course you drive a Chevy... Lol

This is what kills me about the engine masters (and others) comparison tests.
You cant compare stock or small port heads to max flow heads using a stock cam and stock exhaust! The same goes for the rest of the components.... When they did the stock vs stroker comparison they used the same heads/headers and cam .... When they did the ford small port vs large port head they did the same thing. Its not a scientific study!

What I mean by popular 285 cam. For most building a street strip engine is gonna probably pick around 285 degree. Its a good compromise between street and race. In almost all cam lines. No matter 4 cyl, /6, 273 to 440.

My create is a 288 cam.

2nd what i was trying to say about heads being the main factor in an engines ability.

If you took stock heads of a 273/318 or 1.88 340/360 or 2.02 x or eq or eddy or w2 or w5 or w7,8,9 or the new trick etc.. or ported version of any of those and put them on a 10:1 340 short block with say a xe285hl cam the powerbands and the hp numbers are gonna be vastly different.

Yes its all about the cam head combo but the heads have a staring role cam only has a supportive role.

I’m not liking the supportive roll status for a cam but in the way you see it, it fits.
It’s like your degrading the cam to so-so status.
But I get what ya mean.

I’m not liking the supportive roll status for a cam but in the way you see it, it fits.
It’s like your degrading the cam to so-so status.
But I get what ya mean.

The reason I give the heads star status. Its ultimately gonna set the stage. How much hp we can make and at what rpm for a given displacement and give the cam a supportive role because its either gonna allow us to take full advantage of those heads or some fraction of the power and rpm available. Obviously with intake/exhaust cr etc.. rounding out the duties.

That's the best I've ever heard of from Edelbrocks. What have they ran at what weight?

Haven't finished assembling the engine yet. It's a 512 with a lightweight crank, 440 based, roller cam single 4 on top.

Haven't finished assembling the engine yet. It's a 512 with a lightweight crank, 440 based, roller cam single 4 on top.

Okay, big block. I assumed (I know) you had a small block because that's what this thread started out about.

I am getting some light port work done and the numbers are not any where near those for the eddy rpm heads

I am getting some light port work done and the numbers are not any where near those for the eddy rpm heads
Are your heads the Edelbrock 440 RPM heads or the small block heads? As far as I know there are only three sets of the 440 RPM heads that flow like roccodart440's. Another set made 787 HP on a pump gas 451 stroker. The third set rests quietly, going no place ever, on a shelf here in the shop.

-
Back