Cam shaft in my 273

-

1968fish

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I bought this 1965 273 HiPo motor from a close friend who owns a auto shop. He built it for a customer who has deep pockets. They finished the motor a trans rebuild and installed it for the customer. Customer came , picked it up and returned the next day and said it wasn't enough power for him. The customer ordered a new big block crate motor and trans. the next day. My friend installed new engine and trans. customer picked up the car and was happy. My friend asked when he was going to pick up the 273 and trans. and he sayed just keep it I don't need it. My friend called me and asked if I wanted to buy it and I said we could talk about it. When I went in to see it I asked what all had been done and it was pretty much the works balance, hone, decked bored. The one missing piece we could never find was the cam info. He couldn't remember what they got for the motor except it was a solid lifter and pretty good size. I bought the motor and trans and have it in my car now. I would like to have your guys opinion on what you think it could be close to in size. It idles in neutral at about 1000 rpms and about 850 rpms in gear. The power band is about 3,000 to 7,500 and still pulling. The timing is at 30degs total advance. I would just like some guesses.
Thanks

Best thing to do is pull a valve cover and measure the lift at a valve retainer with a dial indicator. That will give a good idea about the size of the cam. Simple and easy to do.

Sounds like the "perfect size" to me. Do what RustyRatRod said to be sure.

We need a sound clip!

Best thing to do is pull a valve cover and measure the lift at a valve retainer with a dial indicator. That will give a good idea about the size of the cam. Simple and easy to do.

Add a degree wheel and you can pretty much profile it clear out. If it's too big, and might be, you'll need all that, anyway, "when" you put in "the" smaller new cam

Wow! Sounds like a screamer! We need build specs for that one. And a video. lol

MP solid
Purple Shaft Cam & Lifter Kit
Fits: 273/318/340/360
Adv. Duration: 296°/296°
Dur. @ .050'': 252°/252°
Lift: .557''/.557''
Centerline: 110°
Basic RPM: 3400-7200 RPM

who knows...just get the lift off a pushrod and you can usually narrow it down to a few common grinds. I bet MP is the maker though, not many cam makers would include a 273 in their catalog with specs.

Edelbrock 600 and it now has a Weiand stealth small port intake. I had to modify the holes to fit. It had the original cast four barrel cast iron when I bought it. I will post clips on Friday or Saturday when I make it out to my shop.

-
Back