Cam upgrade for my truck, '72 D200 with a 360

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. Bighead440

Bighead440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:50 PM
    That VooDoo works nice in a LOW compression (dished cast rebuilder pistons) 360, in my experience, but I did have the pinging you describe with a KB107 (10ish:1) pistoned 360 with the MoPar 260/268* .430/.450" cam. Took some tuning and still couldn't run peak advance (vacuum) when heavy towing.

• Like Like x 1
    • 70aarcuda

70aarcuda Master Hoader of SBM FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      12:50 PM
      Using a Erson cam that is identical to those specs in my 88 D250 with Eddy Performer inake, 600 Eddy carb, Headers. Electronic Ignition. Removed the old TBI and went with the carb and all, The truck runs great, it is an old Forest Service truck that had a 318. Now it runs great ,,,,pulls trailer with ease

• Like Like x 3
      • dartfreak75

dartfreak75 Restore it, Dont part it! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Im currently running the luniti voodoo 702 my 360 its basically stock except the pistons and cam. The heads intake carb exhaust etc are all stock. I don't have alot of miles in it yet but so far it runs really well. Tons of power on the bottom end

• Like Like x 1
        • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • AJ/FormS

AJ/FormS 68 B'cuda fb, Form S clone ... 367/A833/3.55s

South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
          Local Time:
          2:50 PM
          I guess I missed the towing/hauling part ......
          on a sidenote;
          I've never had a vehicle in over 50 years that was prone to "pinging". Almost every carburated car I have ever had was a Mopar tho; including my 1975 D100/318 ........... and almost every one of those was an SBM. I say almost every one, because there was this one exception, lol, a 1984Hyundai-Pony; but it burned anything, I mean absolutely anything, including several years old stale gas with a high percentage of diesel in it.
          But you are right; I know nothing about towing/hauling, and had no idea that 33s were used for that with 3.55s.
          Sorry I cluttered up your thread.

• MopaR&D

MopaR&D Nerd Member

Local Time:
          1:50 PM
          I'm sorry my tone was arrogant I shouldn't have worded my response that way, just the recommendation to run a higher-stall TC was a 'red flag' in my head, that's a big no-no with trucks so I ASSumed your knowledge was less than it is; also my fault for not mentioning the towing/hauling part initially. Like I said I agree regarding gearing, 3.54s (not 3.55, I just remembered since it's a Dana 60) and 33" tires isn't the setup for towing. You didn't clutter up my thread, you raised some valid points I just think the concerns about losing cylinder pressure and having my truck turn into a turd with anything but a stock cam are a bit over-exaggerated. I will look more seriously into re-gearing and perhaps swapping transmissions depending on how it performs.

@Bighead440 @70aarcuda what kind of weight were you towing? I intend to tow an open car-hauler trailer with my Duster on it so maybe 5000-6000 lbs. Really not that much for a 3/4-ton.

• Bighead440

Bighead440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I had 31" tires and 3.55" gears with a 727, so it was spinning a few RPM at 65mph. I have towed a 16ft steel trailer with my 5000lb (NHRA scales) '76 GranFury wagon on it, but normally no more than a 4000lb car and trailer. I towed a 4000lb (car and parts) 1961 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr htp from past Windsor, Ontario Canada to central Georgia on I-75 back in 2004 with it, but it was mid December and very cold. Towing around Georgia in 100* heat wasn't ever really a problem though.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • 1Badcolt

1Badcolt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            We have similar vehicles
            Smog era under powered heavy vehicles !!
            My 886 is pretty heavy #7 Exh lobe was wipped out on this when I got it so after Isky cam and Dual port intake & lite weight fan installed its actually a capable vehicle now and wearing its original 4.10 gears it tows very well !!!

image000000.jpg

20210711_203228.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
            • Like Like x 3
            1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.