cam

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
Ok I am looking for some ideas. I am building a 440 and I want to change my cam set up. I am more then likely going with hughes 1.6 roller rockers unless there bad? Car is mostly for street but I want a good lumpy cam. what you think a good one is?

ya i am changing the whole set up. cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, retainer's all that good stuff

Ok I am looking for some ideas. I am building a 440 and I want to change my cam set up. I am more then likely going with hughes 1.6 roller rockers unless there bad? Car is mostly for street but I want a good lumpy cam. what you think a good one is?

Not nearly enough info for anyone to give you a solid recommendation.

Gears , auto or 4 speed , headers or manifolds ,do you want solid or hyd. , flat tappet or roller ?????

I think there 3.23 or something along that line. 727tf trans, headers. Other then that I am not sure what kinda cam to use. which is better?

Im sure stroker was joking with that solid roller, your not going to be able to do much with 3.23 gears, if you want to play it safe, i'd go with the XE274H, but you may want to find out what kind of converter you have, it'll give you a choppy idle, but will work with 3.23s & a stock converter, it'll run much better with 3.55s & a 3000 stall, just consintrate on your timing/curve/jetting, they will give you high benifits with any perf. cam.

I have a 3000 stall. I am not to worried about quarter miles times since I will be on the street most the time. I just want a good thumpy cam

who is it that makes the "thumper series" cams? i cant remember. they arent "drag cams" but they sound like it. ill look and see if i can find out.

Im sure stroker was joking with that solid roller, your not going to be able to do much with 3.23 gears, if you want to play it safe, i'd go with the XE274H, but you may want to find out what kind of converter you have, it'll give you a choppy idle, but will work with 3.23s & a stock converter, it'll run much better with 3.55s & a 3000 stall, just consintrate on your timing/curve/jetting, they will give you high benifits with any perf. cam.

I wasn't jokin about havin a good used one and 250 is what it can be had for. People need to learn to give more info than just "What's a good cam for my 440?" He said he wanted one to be lumpy. A .750 roller will be lumpy, no? With no more info than he gave, I will be just as off base with one suggesstion as I would the other. Like mama used to say, "ask a silly question and get a silly answer."

I wasn't jokin about havin a good used one and 250 is what it can be had for. People need to learn to give more info than just "What's a good cam for my 440?" He said he wanted one to be lumpy. A .750 roller will be lumpy, no? With no more info than he gave, I will be just as off base with one suggesstion as I would the other. Like mama used to say, "ask a silly question and get a silly answer."

So what your saying is i'm 1/2 right lol, yeah i used to use that line all the time but like this, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" :glasses7:

ok i gave you rear end setup, my trans, my converter size, and I am going with roller rockers. Iron heads. What more do you need..... I told you I am changing the whole cam set up, cam, rockers, springs. I'm not sure what the different type of cams mean. Its a street car so I need as dependable as possible. I am not a engine guy by no means so one that needs adjusted a lot would be great.

ok i gave you rear end setup, my trans, my converter size, and I am going with roller rockers. Iron heads. What more do you need..... I told you I am changing the whole cam set up, cam, rockers, springs. I'm not sure what the different type of cams mean. Its a street car so I need as dependable as possible. I am not a engine guy by no means so one that needs adjusted a lot would be great.

Yeah you gave us a FEW points after several posts....like pullin teeth I swear. I don't know? Hopw bout important stuff like compression ratio, which heads, intake and headers? Valve sizes, header tube sizes....you might try including everything instead of almost nothing. All info you can possibly give will help.

Those Voodoo cams are great. It's kinda neato wherever Harold goes, the cam specs suddenly and drastically improve. lol

Hughes engines has a versiom called thier Whiplash series. I had one in my 440 for a while, and yes it sounded like a pro-stocker, but it was a pooch. A little background on the combo...440 forged crank, Eddelbrock RPM 84cc heads,Torker II intake with a Quick Fuel 850 double pumper (an RPM manifold would be a better choice, but the torker fit under my hood), TTi headers, a TRUE 10:1 c/r, 3200 Coan converter, and 3.55's with a 28 inch tall tire. A buddy put a Comp Thumper (same concept as the Whiplash) in his 383 and same thing.

I ended up using a cam from Bullet Racing Cams. The cam is set up for .904 Chrysler lifters. the intake is 236 @ .050, 525 lift intake, and 238 @ .050, 540 exhaust on a 103* C/L. Installed +4*. This thing is a great "hot street " cam. Pulls hard from the bottom (2200ish) all the way thru the upper mid range (5500). Has a great thumpy idle, and is really streetable. I would go to their web site and input all your info and see what they would recommend. This is a 73 Swinger that weighs in at 3275 lbs.

A big 'ol lumpy sound doesn't always equalperformance. I learned the expensive way, and didn't listen to my engine builder. Hope this helps.

Rodney says you might wanna change out the valve springs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-688661/
LOL!!!!

who is it that makes the "thumper series" cams? i cant remember. they arent "drag cams" but they sound like it. ill look and see if i can find out.
Comp Cams

Those Voodoo cams are great. It's kinda neato wherever Harold goes, the cam specs suddenly and drastically improve. lol
ROTFMAO, yep!!!!!!

A choppy/lumpy sound from a cam comes from the timing events. As well as a low C-line.

Try a cam that has the operating RPM band your working/driving in with a low centerline like @ 106. That'll scare the lesser's!

Just for laughs,check out a Lunati Voodoo 60304.Hydraulic,pulls to 6200,starts at 2200.This gives the engine time to build torque before that 3k converter does its job.The guy who ground these cams,did the Comp Magnum grinds 30 years ago.2 of their top 5 top selling grinds are his 30 years later.(Comp 268h,Comp 280 Magnum.)

-
Back