Camaro site debates mopar vs chevy

-
Anyone point out to 'em that someone tried to campaign a Chevy in Top Fuel a few years back and couldn't qualify for any event? Those engines on Top Fuel and F/C may be modified, but still based on the Elephant...

There is nothing wrong with a Muncie trans especially the M-22. I assume you know how to shift. I've had a few of them and never replaced a clutch, transmission part, anything. You just have to know what you are doing.

Anyone point out to 'em that someone tried to campaign a Chevy in Top Fuel a few years back and couldn't qualify for any event? Those engines on Top Fuel and F/C may be modified, but still based on the Elephant...

The only thing that has been a decent rival for the Hemi in Top Fuel and F/C has been the SOHC Phord (Kalitta - Bounty Hunter). Similar to the Hemi, it was based on the then current Phord big block. The company wasn't committed to developing and supporting the engine, so it died.

You cant go to a cruise night here with out row after row of red with white stripes chevelles and camaros how do they know which one is theres when its time to leave and its dark?? I like all makes and models but never owned anything but a mopar. defineatly the most diverse IMO with colors,engineand body style choices and by far the coolest people to deal with.

No, there were Chevy top fuelers that were Mark IV Chevys campaining against the hemi. Never did much good but they were Chevy's, not hemi's.

The only thing that has been a decent rival for the Hemi in Top Fuel and F/C has been the SOHC Phord (Kalitta - Bounty Hunter). Similar to the Hemi, it was based on the then current Phord big block. The company wasn't committed to developing and supporting the engine, so it died.

Phord, never heard of them!

There is nothing wrong with a Muncie trans especially the M-22. I assume you know how to shift. I've had a few of them and never replaced a clutch, transmission part, anything. You just have to know what you are doing.

I think he means strength-wise. Behind a mostly-stock engine it probably works fine but if you're making serious torque then it'll blow up more easily than an A-833.

What kept me away from Chevies is the fact that everybody has one, everybody knows what they are, and their engine and suspension technology was wayyy behind Chrysler's back in the muscle era. Plus, look at the experimental research that Chrysler did at the time; ram-induction, 4-valve-chamber heads (DOHC NASCAR Hemi, anyone?), torsion bar suspension/asymmetrical rear leaves, the legendary TorqueFlite, unibody cars weighing hundreds of pounds less and being WAY more rigid than comparative Ford and GM cars... The list goes on and on. I'll be the first to admit that Chrysler build quality sucked, but 40 years later when most of the old Mopars people are driving are either restored or modified, how well a door panel is attached to a door doesn't matter that much.

And for what it's worth, I think my Duster is more slender-looking and "swoopier" than a Nova. And it's longer, wider, and lighter.

Calm down boys, i like chevy's myself, when i raced my duster for a good 2yrs., i hung out with the chevy guys (wasn't many mopar guys in my area), my car was parked in the middle of theres, they were a very cool crowd, & they respected my Mopar, when it came time to race, i'd say hey, lets line em up, there responce, hell no, i'm not f#ckin with that Duster [-X, & there cars were fast, i've helped many chevy guys wrench on there cars, because they respected the fact i knew how to wrench on mine, so they were very open to suggestions.

Now this is a true story, sad but true, the few mopars that did show up, they treated me differently, like they were pist there car didn't run as fast, or they couldn't beat me, so in most cases, Yes i'd say i took offence to that & didn't hang with them, i've been mopar for many-many years, so there not new for me, did i get ragged on with some of the GM & ford guys, YEP, sure did, but once we raced, they were kissin my azz, but most of those guys (which were few) were boneheads anyways, for the most part, i felt right at home hangin with the chevy crowd at the track, so shoot me lol.

I still love my mopars.

Me either. I put 1/4 million miles on an M-21 and never opened the thing up.
I'm a Mopar deep down, but I will give credit where credit is due. Nothing wrong with GM..... or Ford for that matter. I like muscle cars from all 3 makers.

George

I like all makes of cars. I enjoy looking at tuners if they are done right. But I do get tired of seeing Camaro's and Chevelles. I like them, but that is all I see around here. I honestly never seen another 67,68, or 69 fish in my area. We I go up town in my car, people know who it is. Which may be a bad thing, but its not another 69 red Camaro.

As said before....I agree....I liek chevy,ford and mopar....nothing wrong with them,I like all the muscle cars.....I do have more of a thing for the mopars though, I DO NOT like them ricer tuner cars lol.....I had one that was way sooped up once and it never felt right and I just felt out of place like a man at walmart looking at bras lol....just didnt seem right to me lol. so it was sold and I have had nothing but american before and after that little thing lol.

I kind of find it funny that so many of the mopar guys are actually wasting there time making up screen names to join a chevy forum.....no offense but i see alot of you slamming chevys and fords and being mopar only and then I read you signed up for there forums....thats kind of like the pot calling the kettle black lol.

Anyways, I like ford chevy and mopars....I just think mopars have more of a sense of originality and there just cool old cars. byt the way....one of youe was saying "phord" its ford lol

It's nice to bench race but lets not get carried away. I read some of the Camaro site thread and I can say I've met some of the most pig headed Chevy guys in the world, makes the Mopar or no car mentality seem mild. I like some Chevies, some Fords, whatever, let them spew, that's what they have their site for and we have ours to talk smack about them.
My opinion everyone made a cool car back in the day, and everyone had poor quality compared to todays cars. I think Chrysler was on top when it came to engineering by far, and I like the cars, period. I don't really care what a bunch of Camaro fans think.

I blew up a M22 behind a 454 in a Chevelle going into 3rd gear and I knew what I was doing. Over the years I've abused the hell out of 18 spline trannies, all behind BB's, and they just keep laughing at me, saying is that the best you can do.

Terry

I agree with most folks here that all the car manufacturers have made some great and not so great cars. I can appreciate the work someone puts into restoring or saving an old Mustang or Olds 442.

I too have owned Chevys and Fords but I like the Mopars better. The rivalry between the Mopar, Chevy and Ford guys is like the Yankee and Red Sox fans. It should never be taken too seroiusly, its all in fun for most.

I read those posts and stopped at this one....
i period dont like mopar people.... the whole attitude "mopar or no car". MOST of the mopar fans i meet feel that every other make is crap. why would somone in their right mind want to go a pay $100,000 for a mopar (most GOOD mopars cost that much) when you can go buy a chevy or a ford for a quarter of the price? "its rare"... its only rare because mopars didnt sell for **** when they were new... so there wernt many around to begin with. iv driven a 69 roadrunner.... for a second i thought i was driving the damn titanic. wasnt too impressive either.

sorry... i work with a mopar guy, he always says how mopar is the best, chevy and fords suck, my challenger was known to be one of the fastest cars in town, 2nd gen camaros are ugly... its kinda dumb because never once have i said anything bad about mopars to him.

I think the age of the poster says volumes and people in general with a mentality like that are hard to talk to anyway.

I kinda like the fact some of you are covertly infiltrating their ranks to cause havock. Divide and conquer, boys!! :evil4:

the age part is what I hate about it. it seems that because of people like this anybody under 40 can't be taken seriously

the age part is what I hate about it. it seems that because of people like this anybody under 40 can't be taken seriously

This is "true" in some ways, but its also "true" that the youth think the elders don't know anything (because there not hip or cool), what comes around, goes around lol. Seriously, I myself (when i was younger) had that "mopar or no car" & chevy & ford are junk additude, but as i've gotten older, i've calmed down, & realized its all about how you present yourself as a person, if you have "additude", you will find conflict, when your young, your full of fire & want to make your point made, as you age, it really doesn't matter, i've been around cool mopar/ford/chevy people, but i've run into buttholes too, youth hang with youth, middle age hang with middle age, old folks think we're all crazy, & i can see why as i get older, i'm 45 years old, i'm starting to realize that what really matters in my life is God/children & somethings just aren't worth fighting/argueing about, don't get me wrong, i still have alittle fire & act'ed up every now & then, & i do like the younger crowd too, there is a song that says it all, its about a younger guy that met an old man sitting at a bar, the old man had a story to tell about what he's come to realize in his years on this earth, the funny thing was, because that young guy took the time to listen too this old man, he left him his fortune, so the next time your at the bar (or anywhere for that matter) & see a lonely old man, you might just want to sit down & chat lol.

"God is great, Beer is good, & people are CRAZY"!!

The important thing is that we are obviously all car guys and gals. That's why we are here. We all love our hotrods, well most of the time, whether it be a Chevy, Ford or Mopar. There's always someone faster. Just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

That's the best laugh I've had in days, thanks! Hope you sneak in.

So far its a no go but only time will tell.

What happened to the guy on here that was sticking a small block mopar in his camaro????? He should join the camaro website. He would open up a can of worms over there.

This is "true" in some ways, but its also "true" that the youth think the elders don't know anything (because there not hip or cool), what comes around, goes around lol. Seriously, I myself (when i was younger) had that "mopar or no car" & chevy & ford are junk additude, but as i've gotten older, i've calmed down, & realized its all about how you present yourself as a person, if you have "additude", you will find conflict, when your young, your full of fire & want to make your point made, as you age, it really doesn't matter, i've been around cool mopar/ford/chevy people, but i've run into buttholes too, youth hang with youth, middle age hang with middle age, old folks think we're all crazy, & i can see why as i get older, i'm 45 years old, i'm starting to realize that what really matters in my life is God/children & somethings just aren't worth fighting/argueing about, don't get me wrong, i still have alittle fire & act'ed up every now & then, & i do like the younger crowd too, there is a song that says it all, its about a younger guy that met an old man sitting at a bar, the old man had a story to tell about what he's come to realize in his years on this earth, the funny thing was, because that young guy took the time to listen too this old man, he left him his fortune, so the next time your at the bar (or anywhere for that matter) & see a lonely old man, you might just want to sit down & chat lol.

"God is great, Beer is good, & people are CRAZY"!!

That song you are talking about is "people are crazy" and its by billy currington .....and yes its a good song.....I am in my 20's and I still have that younger attitude in a way.....but after becoming a family man,you calm down quite a bit. And I find my self hanging out at a restaraunt for example and seeing the annoying punk kids and there all being immature or bragging about this or that or how much money they have invested into there little tuner cars and how much money they spent having someone build there car for them and what have you.......and I just wanna get up and smack em lol.....they are missing the point,its not just about how much money is invested or how much horse power you have.....its about building memories and taking pride in your work and owning a piece of history.

When I was younger,when I seen an older lonely looking guy sitting down to eat I wouldnt think twice about it......I was the punk A$$ kid at the other table he wanted to get up and smack LOL.......but now a days.....when things liek that,you take the time to think about a little bit...take that time to make small talk or give a wave or even a comment about the weather lol..... the point is....there are much better things to devote your attention to then the stupid things like argueing over what brand of car is better lol....they all had there share of good cars and they had there share of bad...just like has been said above,whats the point in all the arguing it will get you nowhere......even more so over the internet,that is unless of coarse you have made arrangments to kick someones *** vie email LOL....seriously. take your energy used for arguing and put it forth into the mopar community to help answer questions or talk about your ride or whatever...anyhow. those are my thoughts on it

Well if you never replaced a clutch, then you certainly didn't own the car long enough, and didn't shift the thing with any kind of authority. I have never owned an auto in my life, and I learned to drive behind the wheel of a '68 GTO when I was 15. I upgraded to a '69 Judge after a few years, had a brief affair with a 13,000 mile '68 Firebird 400 4-speed, I finally bought the Old Dominion B/FX 421SD headed,421 H.O. Tripower '65 GTO. That was my last Poncho, and that was 1983.
Muncie 4-speeds are poor, that is why I turned to Mopar. Unbushed aluminum cases, floating the rear bearing inbetween the front case and the tailshaft housing, not enough meat to keep the case straight... My mother bought me an Muncie M-22 for my 17th birthday because she was sick of the car sitting in the garage and her having to park outside. (yes she was VERY COOL, and a GTO fan) The problems with the Muncie were inherent, and while you could cruise a big block 'vette with one all day long, they couldn't take ANY kind of stress or they would pop gear teeth right off the gear. You should have seen the effort I had to put into launching that '68 GTO...The tranny couldn't take dumping the clutch at any kind of rpm due to the huge amount of torque, so I had to ride the thing out from just off idle. Argghhh...never again.

-
Back