Camaro site debates mopar vs chevy

-
I want to defend the under 40 yrs old guys.I'm 30 and I've been a motor head my whole life. And I've brought a lot of young guys into the hobby. I've helped restore and built motors for 2 AMC's, 2 Chevelles,a malibu,and some 5.0's plus a ton of mopars.Anyone I've brought into the hobby or helped including my wife, the first thing I tell them is dont talk out your *** about something you dont know and dont say a negative word about any car no matter what make model or what you dont like about it etc. cause someone spent a ton of time effort and cash just like you. We're a pretty diverse group who bust each others chops about different brands but overall we get respect here for following that idea. Just wanted you guys to know that not all young guys are as ignorant as some of those guys on that page.

well said
:cheers:

At the same time people blow money on garbage so....

No body has to like everything or the same things, thats what makes us different/diverse.

I love my mopar's, if anything else in the big 3 was better I would run it.

ok im in.....
i was actually really surprised when i looked at the thread and saw that a surprising amount of people were actually defending the mopars, it just shows how far things have come in the last few years...
i am and always will be mopar first, but in recent years i have been coming around to the benefits of other brands.. my current daily driver is a 1983 ltd station wagon that has a complete running gear and suspension swap from a 5.0 mustang.. my rat rod project is a 1926 chrysler sedan that is getting a 500 cadillac, and my dirttrack car is a fox body mustang with a 2.3..
i have very few friends that are mopar guys, most of my friends are into vw's and fords (some gm but few chevy) ..
the rice burner crew on the other hand i have no use for..(except to see the look on their s*** talking face when the get beat by a grandma looking station wagon lol)
back to the point, i like all brands muscle cars ....
:sign10:

Well there you go.... I guess I'll school you. Starting in 1965, the Muncie 3-speed was determined not heavy duty enough for the GTO. An additional 3-speed was offered. A FORD built, Dearborn top loader 3-speed was offered. it was code S, RPO 785, assembly part number 9785094. in 1968 and 1969 the FORD built Dearborn 3-speed was standard equipment in GTO, and Firebird, and it was code DB. (My first car was a code DB 3-speed '68 GTO) it was replacement part number 9793425. The FORD built Dearborn 3-speed had nearly straight cut gears, was a toploader, and was superior in my opinion to even the M-21 Muncie 4-speed.

OK, I'll school you. We are talking 4-speeds. M-20, M-21, M-22, not top loader 3-speeds. Jesus!!!!!!! Next you going to talk Power Glide in a 4-speed discussion. About to press the ignore button!!!!

And the ironic thing about this thread is that while the Chevy guys are over there crapping on our Mopars they have us over here fighting amongst ourselves over their cars...

....and we, as Mopar owners/enthusiasts care about what Chevy enthusiasts say about our cars WHY? Please remind me as I seem to have forgotten. :munky2:

It's kind of funny as I am a proud member or both sites and have been for a while! I love most old cars,some are really just too ugly, and enjoy spending time with people that believe in restoration rather than crush.A buudy has a garage that I am jellious of as I would LOVE to take any of his cars! Take a look:
IMG_0672.jpg

yes it's a 69 BOSS 429 or
IMG_0677.jpg

or
IMG_0676.jpg

Yes anothe Yenko but in the back is a 71 CUDA vert with 528 HEMI

SCREW EM! I have even a new Dodge 09 srt Challenger, car has hoards of people everywhere ya go, it is a luxury mans hot ron, NO it is not like an old A body which I own. But car hauls but in the 0-60, 1/4 and tops out around 190 if you have the guts. I have had it at 152mph in 5th and there is still 6yh.

Anyway even going to a car show the Ford and Chevy guys said the Moapr folks hit the mark for retro etc.

I am telling ya the new Camaro is OK glad another USA car was built etc.. But it looks import ish on the inside etc.

And many guys have ran them stk Vs stk. in a 1/4 the SRT will beat em given both cars have decent drivers.

12.90s stk at below 500' is about what they run stk, mine has been clocked 0-60 at a best of 4.24.

Well their loss I say we all know better.

It is like the last Motor trend, they take an SS Camaro, a GT roo and then compare to an R/T not an SRT.

what ever...

That is like comparing a Chysler NewYorker Broughm to a striped LTD.

There is no chance in HELL,an stock srt8 challenger,will go 190mph...
No matter HOW BIG of balls you have!
It will not do it!
Do you have any idea how fast that is?
305 km per hour.

Let me tell you right now,not a chance.
I love my mopars,but you gotta draw the line at facts.

It will not do it!
305 km per hour.

I agree. No way at 4170 lbs. curb weight. Your talking the speed of a Z06 Corvette at 3175 lbs 7.0 liter 505hp. Again, no way!!

I agree. No way at 4170 lbs. curb weight. Your talking the speed of a Z06 Corvette at 3175 lbs 7.0 liter 505hp. Again, no way!!

Top speed has NOTHING to do with weight. It's all aerodynamics & friction vs. horsepower. While I do agree a stock SRT8 Challenger probably can't reach 190 MPH, it's only because the aerodynamics of that body aren't nearly as good as a pure "supercar" such as a Viper or Corvette and it doesn't have enough horsepower to do so.

Top speed has NOTHING to do with weight. It's all aerodynamics & friction vs. horsepower. While I do agree a stock SRT8 Challenger probably can't reach 190 MPH, it's only because the aerodynamics of that body aren't nearly as good as a pure "supercar" such as a Viper or Corvette and it doesn't have enough horsepower to do so.

Thanks but I will have to respectfully disagree on the weight thing.

I was watching Top Gear. They had an SRT-8 out at bonneville. The best they could do was 150 with the front end all taped all up to for better aerodynamics.

Here is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKPPdTuk8I&feature=channel

Hahaha!

An he thinks 190 mph!

Just because you had another gear to go,doesnt mean it will
top out at that speed.

Cool vid.

Racing on the salt as well has its fair share of problems tho.

Ive done 185 mph on my hayabusa,(speed limited)
sure its a bike,a dif kettle of fish, but i know how much
road is needed to go that fast,an i know what its like at
a speed like that an i just cant imagine how the hell a
stock srt8 could even come close.
My honest opinion,in the right conditions,i think 165 mph
is what an srt8 challenger could do standard. Just my opinion tho.

Oh,an im not havin a go at u burnt orange,im talkn bout the other guy...

Thanks but I will have to respectfully disagree on the weight thing.

Only if you're talking about the trap speed of a car over a measured distance. If a car has an indefinite distance to accelerate to its maximum speed it will reach that same maximum speed as another car with more or less weight; it's only speed-limiting factor at that point is friction in the drivetrain (wheel bearings, gears, rolling friction from tires) and in the air over the car itself (drag or air resistance). It's just like the concept of terminal velocity; a falling object will keep accelerating until its air resistance becomes equal to its gravity; then it will continue to fall at a steady speed.

you hit the nail on the head, I cant stand the ricer cars, My brother loves them and he gives me the same B.S. excuse about power to weight ratio's, But then again my Dart does'nt seem to have a weight to power ratio. And it has never lost to a ricer car either!!

Personally I would rather listen to the rantings of the camaro crowd than the ignorant crap that comes from the honda ricer boys.At least some of the chevy guys seem to know something of how a ''car''works.If youve ever talked to a rice boy than you would know that stickers,rims,wings and fart cannons make it a hot rod.The list of excuses they use to justify why ''old school cars'' are inferior is hilarious.Sure the little ****'s have the advantage of power to weight,and some of those freaken cars are fast,but old school cars will always be classier and more respected wether they are ford chevy or mopar

It will not do it!
305 km per hour.

Gary drove on at 170ish in ca on the dry lake bed in cross wind, it was a bone stock 09 6spd. These care are design and wind tunnel tested at 170. Even the under car carridge has been win speed setup panels etc.

I have had mine at 152 in 5th and it was still pulling before I put it in 6th an let off, mine are not big enough.

After a few mods there are at least an easy 35-50 HP more at the tires to be had, a few folks have posted youtube vids and I saw some road test in italy at 180 as well..

5th is over drive and 6th is even more over driven. yes I know it takes a lot of HP& TQ to go that fast, but these cars were setup for high speed. Of course you need the correct road and wind conditions too.

Auto car and he let off at 160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yukC-zdj2Y8
http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=309052&FS=TV

A few mods and we have several folks on several sites that have driven the car 190. I saw your bike on the bed at over 200 with another rider. Hell yes that is fast. Read many many comments of folks that do not think so, but they do, you need to go drive one or see it doen I guess. :)

I think a mile, unless that car was sick.. 145-150 is easy in 5th in a 6 speed

I like the Stang guy, 302 running 9's.
This takes me back to ~1989. [harp music emanates from nowhere as the edges of the visual plane become slightly hazy in appearance]

There was a doofus that ran at Avilla (a now-defunct strip in rural NE Indiana) with a Junkstang LX that amused me greatly. He had vanity plates that said "10SEC50" or similar. While it was true that the car would run 10.20s all day long, this was in the 1/8-mile. Good times were those.

-
Back