Camp: AMC??

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
Basically, is building/restoring an AMC any more difficult that a typical mopar? Would it be considered blasphemy to put a typical mopar drivetrain in an AMC for either side? Not necessarily in the market to get one but I'd like a 65 Rambler or 69 Javelin someday and really curious if I need to be extra crazy! Haha

Figure FABO may be a good place to ask since AMC seems welcome in the Mopar community. Anyone have any AMC's here?

Parts are difficult enough to find for the older Mopars, I can only imagine how tough they would be for AMCs. That is, of course, unless you are willing to build whatever you need and swap in a different rear end/ suspension, and ESPECIALLY front end suspension, which had a lot of bad points in some of the AMC stuff.

Is that right? I love a lot of old AMC cars but I dnt really know much about AMC beyond that Chrysler eventually bought em and turned em into Eagle (right?). Ill have to start getting background but I like the whole old school style and appearance with modern drive ability. Given the technical skills I'm hoping to learn, doing a major suspension and drivetrain overhaul could end up making a very unique driver

Before 1970, they had the ball and trunnion front end...not the best.

AMX=Kenosha Cobra.
AMC=All Makes of Cars.

I know that a lot of the earlier AMCs had ball and trunion drivelines, but I would swear they had kingpin front spindles.

The V8s have some pretty good power potential and with some oiling upgrades will survive very well. Be aware of the timing cover and the silly distributor drive gear bolted to the front of the camshaft. 401s are awesome powerplants and getting to be pretty hard to come by.

Mopar drivetrains? Most AMC cars used Torqueflite transmissions. Engine parts are easy enough to come by. The AMC 360 was a good enough engine and easy to come by. Junkyards are full of Wagoneers. Replacement mechanical and suspension parts are easy enough to find, but body trim and sheet metal stuff is a little more scarce. Little if anything is being reproduced.

Many out there say AMC cars don't handle well. Ask any Chevy guy, Mopars don't either.

i had a 71 gremlin X we stuffed a 69 road runner 383 4 speed and 8 3/4 in. damn that thing was fun

Currently own 2 amcs! A 59 rambler custom 4dr sedan which im keeping it stock untill the engine imploads and im in the process of trying to get it on the road and a 60 rambler super 6 which im thinking of doing a 273 mopar swap in it!, has no engine. Problem with early 60s and 50s amc cars is they have the torque tube design, not open driveline which if i were to install a mopar motor i have to change the whole drivetrain. Its been done before and they have alot of info on swaps on theamcforum.com.
Had a 59 rambler before, nice cruiser, 3spd manual on the column which i thought kicked *** and drove like a charm and i gotta tell yea, its amazing how much attention that car gets!

DSCI0289.jpg

DSCI0333.jpg

There used to be an AMC salvage yard around Lodi 10 or so years ago. I don't know if it's still there or not but you're fairly close.

Most AMC cars used Torqueflite transmissions.

Most? Only the later cars had TF, the earlier ones had Borg Warner or some damn thing. But this is irrelevant if he's putting a different engine in, as even the TF (if used) isn't gonna fit a Mopar engine.

I'm not sure about the Javelins, but I stand by what I said re front end design on the older cars. It was a poor weak "deal," and good luck finding those parts. If you are gonna turn a 65 anything AMC into a highway hauler, you'd better figure on "alternative" front suspension.

I love old Ramblers. My Dad had a 62 4 door. and being little I knew enough to pull the handle on the seat to make it lay flat while he was driving always pissed him off

I would rather see a Mopar engine in an AMC (if I couldn't have a 390 or 401 in one) then a Chevy engine.

There are a couple guys around here...one Javelin and one AMX who both brag about their 350 Chevys under the hood. :vom:

Paul

Would it be considered blasphemy to put a typical mopar drivetrain in an AMC for either side?

-
Back