cams

-

spikekid999

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!
Reaction score
well i originaly wasnt goin to but i decide to bump the HPs up a lil in my dart and give it a nice rumble. what would be a good cam for my 318? im goin to put a 4bbl on it and i might get a pair of shorty headers. other then that itll be stick

SURE! Just tell me the gear ratio you intend to end up with and if you mind changing a converter or want to keep the stock one.
Headers on the car?
Stock 318 heads?

its all stock now. i just plan on changing the cam and throwin a 4bbl on it. and i might throw a 727 behind it if i can get my dad to sell me his old one.

no idea on the gear ratio, when it comes to cams i draw a complete blank, i dont understand all the numbers lol.

its all stock now. i just plan on changing the cam and throwin a 4bbl on it. and i might throw a 727 behind it if i can get my dad to sell me his old one.

no idea on the gear ratio, when it comes to cams i draw a complete blank, i dont understand all the numbers lol.

Check to see if there is a small metal tag attached to the differential cover. It should have the gear ratio on there. Or you can jack up the rear end, place the gear in neutral, use a piece of chalk to mark the tire and the driveshaft. Spin the the tire around once and count how many times the driveshaft spins. It's not exact science, but it will get you in the ballpark. Chances are that your 318 Dart came with 3.21's (3 and 1/4 turns on the driveshaft) or 2.94 (almost 3 turns).

Do you want it to perform, or just sound good? May things come into play with cam selection, it, the gear ratio and torque converter are the most critical performance parts. If you change one with no concern for the other, don't expect much. Balance of the driveline is what determines the more bark than bite cars, the monsters, and the little engine cars like mine...that moves decent for what it is. 'holds its own'. And a 727 will do nothing but slow you down and cost you money if you have a 904 already...(in his case)

.02cents.

o ya the rear end gear ratio (brain fart) it has 2:76 i wanna say cant remember (i know it cam out of a 318 4spd car,rear is a 8.25"). i wanna go with the 727 as they are are stonger then the 904s,so i have a less chance gurnading it while doin burnouts lol. id like for it to get up n go pretty good,and be able to light em up.

There's an article in the August issue of Hot Rod where they compare the five most popular grinds from Comp Cams for a small block Chevy. I know, it's a chevy, but the results were interesting.

o ya the rear end gear ratio (brain fart) it has 2:76 i wanna say cant remember (i know it cam out of a 318 4spd car,rear is a 8.25"). i wanna go with the 727 as they are are stonger then the 904s,so i have a less chance gurnading it while doin burnouts lol. id like for it to get up n go pretty good,and be able to light em up.

more then likely your 318 with a cam, carb and header change will still not have enought HP to destroy the 904....

as goody said...you will only waste money and slow the car down with the 727.

more then likely your 318 with a cam, carb and header change will still not have enought HP to destroy the 904....

as goody said...you will only waste money and slow the car down with the 727.

I agree. You have more of chance of eating up that 8.25 before the 904 goes.

OK, it's a Duster with a 318 and a 4spd, rear gear ratio is a 2.76. Being it is a 4spd, you can go a step heavier than an auto trans and get away with it easy. But that gear rtatio is holding you back from any cm to large.

Then I'll recomend this. Comp Cams XE262H;
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-20-222-3&autoview=sku
Though I really recomend getting the whole dang kit like this and be done with it, no guess work, all done for you;
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-K20-222-3&autoview=sku

Add headers, 4bbl intake and carb .... your preety much done on the easy stuff.

If you add some gear and compresion with bowl ported heads, this would work real well; http://store.summitracing.com/partd...~20~223~3 or CCA~20~221~3&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=

The 904 will be fine.

I don't think he has a 4 speed in his car. I think he is saying the rear he has came out of a car with a 4 speed. I believe he has a 904 in there now.

oh ya and how would changeing to a 727 over the 904 slow it down? i doubt this really has anything to do with it but my dad also added a shift kit to the 727

oh ya and how would changeing to a 727 over the 904 slow it down? i doubt this really has anything to do with it but my dad also added a shift kit to the 727

More internal reciprocating mass to spin needs more power to turn it. The only drawback of your 727 plan is it needs more power to do the same work as the 904.

904 can easily be built to survive all day long for years with 400 h.p.

Your 318 wont make that.

A lot of drag racers use the 904 instead of the 727 because it has less internal drag like the guy above said. I'd put a shift kit in the 904 that is already in the car.

I like the voodoo cam suggested above. They are designed to build cylinder pressure which is what you want to do with a stock 318. Especially a later low compression stock 318 like you have. If you go with a cam that has more duration you will have less dynamic compression (cylinder pressure) and make less power as a result.

does summit or jegs carry that voodoo cam? with lifters? i cant buy off the internet as i dont have a credit or debit car,and dont plan on gettin one (dont trust myself with one lol)

Crane makes original muscle car cams.. i used their original 340 cam in my all stock 74 318 that is in my challenger and it rocks. stock converter, 904 ,3.21 gears, hooker comp headers, 2bbl intake.
every time i run someone on the street they are amazed that its a 318 (most dont believe me)
2cents

Nice cam Thrashard.

spikekid999 I recomended one of those cams. Thanks for looking. Also,
oh ya and how would changeing to a 727 over the 904 slow it down?
The poster ment this in the oposite way. The 727 will slow you down.

440SCOUT, the 340 grind is larger per sai @ 224 or better @ duration @ .050 I think, than those listed. I'd go there, but with a 2.76 gear ??????????? Naaaaaaaaa.
Dead compresion, stock small port exhaust, Naaaaaaa.

For a performance boost, the cam's I'd look at would start at around 1000 - 1200 rpm. The stock converter can handle it easy and the gear ratio won't be the big hinderance.

Crane makes original muscle car cams.. i used their original 340 cam in my all stock 74 318 that is in my challenger and it rocks. stock converter, 904 ,3.21 gears, hooker comp headers, 2bbl intake.
every time i run someone on the street they are amazed that its a 318 (most dont believe me)
2cents
all i know is for a stock small block this cam worked best for me, ive used alot of cams that sucked (mainly purple shafts)... about the 2.76 gear ?? i dont know you may be better of changing gears and leaving the cam alone?

-
Back