Camshaft for 5.2 magnum

-

carmart1975

Reaction score
Hello its the dumb kid again just wondering if you can put a LA cam in a Magnum and if so what is needed and what do you recommend?

Yes you can, but you must change the timing cover to fit the long snout cam, and if it’s a flat tappet the lifters and spider get nixed as well. Then you’ll need to measure for the correct length pushrods.

Yes you can, but you must change the timing cover to fit the long snout cam, and if it’s a flat tappet the lifters and spider get nixed as well. Then you’ll need to measure for the correct length pushrods.
What if i get a hole LA cam kit

What if i get a hole LA cam kit
Still need to do what TT5.9mag said to do, cam kit doesn't come with those parts, plus if you get a kit with springs don't know if they fit magnum heads. Why not just get the magnum cam reground?

Last edited:
How
Still need to do what TT5.9mag said to do, cam doesn't come with those parts, plus if you get a kit with springs don't know if they fit magnum heads. Why not just get the magnum cam reground?
much would that be?

Hello its the dumb kid again just wondering if you can put a LA cam in a Magnum and if so what is needed and what do you recommend?
Yep, you can if you change enough parts. My answer to your original question, If you have to ask then, No.

If I had a roller cam Magnum engine I dang sure wouldn't go backwards and put a hydraulic flat tappet cam in it.

How

much would that be?
1713981890029.png

Bet someone will tell ya, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than a new roller.
You still need push rods and springs but don't have to swap the front to LA style.

Roller LA Camshaft
Different cover only needed if mechanical fuel pump is to be used.
Depth of the "Magnum cover from the gasket surface to the middle (roughly where the cam bolt would be) measures 2.030 inch.
Depth of the "LA" cover from the gasket surface to the middle (roughly where the cam bolt would be) measures 1.990 inch.
This would indicate the Magnum cover would in-fact have even more clearance!

1713985233137.png

There are plenty of aftermarket roller cams for magnum engines that drop right in. And you can reuse the factory roller lifters, dog bones, spider, and pushrods. The stock magnum springs are weak and with any cam upgrade, you need springs. Why don’t you tell us what you have and what you want to do with it as any recommendations without that info is a shot in the dark at best.

There are plenty of aftermarket roller cams for magnum engines that drop right in. And you can reuse the factory roller lifters, dog bones, spider, and pushrods. The stock magnum springs are weak and with any cam upgrade, you need springs. Why don’t you tell us what you have and what you want to do with it as any recommendations without that info is a shot in the dark at best.
I am am just a teen but the plan is to put a 5.2 or 5.9 in my 1975 duster and the only teen thing to do is to have a cam that idles good i will admit i am new to the cam thing and i am willing to get a different stall converter and springs just trying to keep it simple and i hope to make about 350hp 400 if i am lucky but that's a stretch.

I am am just a teen but the plan is to put a 5.2 or 5.9 in my 1975 duster and the only teen thing to do is to have a cam that idles good i will admit i am new to the cam thing and i am willing to get a different stall converter and springs just trying to keep it simple and i hope to make about 350hp 400 if i am lucky but that's a stretch.
i think that goal is very achievable. if you start with a 5.9 you'll get there a lot easier.

when you say: "to have a cam that idles good" that translates to "i want something that has a choppy idle and sounds cool" when i roll around the parking lot.

which is fine, if that's what you want. but almost none of those make power worth a damn. or, more pointedly, to get that specific characteristic you're compromising someplace else. and, if tuned well, most cams sound pretty damn good at idle.

if you're trying to keep it simple, forget about swapping in a LA cam. that's a whole *** basket of worms you don't need to complicate your life with. either get a cam kit from somebody (hughes, comp, etx) or send out your cam and have it reground and then pick up new springs and associated bits. plop on a dual plane and a 650~750 carb and you're in business.

a torque converter is a great idea and highly recommended.

Excellent, and I agree with @junkyardhero that your goal is easily achievable and in fact I have a perfect recipe for you. 5.9 magnum, comp 264R-14 cam (with spring upgrade), RPM airgap intake and a 3310 Holley 750. This exact combo made 365hp and would be daily drivable. It’s not the choppy LS crowd sound but it has a noticeable idle and works. With a 2800 stall and 3:23 gears in a A body it would rip.
513FEC9B-75D0-474E-8EF6-C4576E47FA0D.png

^^^ 100% on what C-money says there.

wanna go lo-rent? here's the schneider grind:

or have them or any number of other folks regrind your cam: oregon, clay smith, crower, delta. then grab a hong-kong phooey air gap knock off on ebay, and a junkyard carb and throw a kit at it.

you'll still need the spring kit, and you'll need the cam snout adapter if you want to run a mechanical pump.

grab some thin headgaskets and a gasket kit and you're in the game-- you'll still need the oil pan, but that's cheap and easy, and figure out what flexplate or torque converter you're going to use.

the nick-name generator is currently experiencing technical difficulties.
if you feel your nick-name was generated in error you can go to the website and download a form to request a new one or a change in phrasing.

thanks,
-management

get the stock roller reground by bullet cams

Bullet Cams Master List

use the HR258/320 on the intake and the HR261/316 or HR265/320 on the exhaust with mag heads, hughes 1110 springs, 600cfm carb and headers, and it will pull really nice, as hard as a stock 360 with the same induction/exhaust and an comp XE262, but get 4mpg better (been there, done that)....the .2" lift duration of that HR258 is actually larger than the XE262, despite having 12 degrees less .050 duration.

the nick-name generator is currently experiencing technical difficulties.
if you feel your nick-name was generated in error you can go to the website and download a form to request a new one or a change in phrasing.

thanks,
-management
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think I had about $300 (regrind and postage to and fro) in sending my 5.9 cam to Oregon Cam Grinding. If you need help deciding on grind, you can even call and the owner Ken will help you decide.

At first, I used an electric fuel pump but my grandson with Autism couldn't deal with the sound so I bought a cam extension kit from Hughes Engines and went back a mechanical pump. I already had a 1970 timing cover so I just had to pull off the blocking plate. Of course, that was after pulling the radiator, fan,.pully, harmonic balancer and timing cover, lol.

Good luck with your build. I wish I was your age again...so much fun!!!!!

thank you for
i think that goal is very achievable. if you start with a 5.9 you'll get there a lot easier.

when you say: "to have a cam that idles good" that translates to "i want something that has a choppy idle and sounds cool" when i roll around the parking lot.

which is fine, if that's what you want. but almost none of those make power worth a damn. or, more pointedly, to get that specific characteristic you're compromising someplace else. and, if tuned well, most cams sound pretty damn good at idle.

if you're trying to keep it simple, forget about swapping in a LA cam. that's a whole *** basket of worms you don't need to complicate your life with. either get a cam kit from somebody (hughes, comp, etx) or send out your cam and have it reground and then pick up new springs and associated bits. plop on a dual plane and a 650~750 carb and you're in business.

a torque converter is a great idea and highly recommended.
thank you for the info i have been looking at 5.9 mags but a little hard to come by in my area i have been looking at pick a part and they have a few but i am very weird about mileage how much is to much.

Excellent, and I agree with @junkyardhero that your goal is easily achievable and in fact I have a perfect recipe for you. 5.9 magnum, comp 264R-14 cam (with spring upgrade), RPM airgap intake and a 3310 Holley 750. This exact combo made 365hp and would be daily drivable. It’s not the choppy LS crowd sound but it has a noticeable idle and works. With a 2800 stall and 3:23 gears in a A body it would rip.
View attachment 1716241194
i love the whole idea and thank you for sharing but what springs did you go with like brand etc

^^^ 100% on what C-money says there.

wanna go lo-rent? here's the schneider grind:
[/URL]

or have them or any number of other folks regrind your cam: oregon, clay smith, crower, delta. then grab a hong-kong phooey air gap knock off on ebay, and a junkyard carb and throw a kit at it.

you'll still need the spring kit, and you'll need the cam snout adapter if you want to run a mechanical pump.

grab some thin headgaskets and a gasket kit and you're in the game-- you'll still need the oil pan, but that's cheap and easy, and figure out what flexplate or torque converter you're going to use.
that was the next question i have no clue, the stall really depends on the cam but flexplate i have no clue, i just got a fresh 904 to go with it tho

-
Back