Camshaft question

-

Airstream65

Reaction score
I’m wanting to know what is the best source for a cam recommendation for my 340 stroker(416). The cam currently is a bit large in duration for my taste. I bought the car in its current state, with bits of info from the seller/ builder. It has stock converter and 3.23 SG, 10:1 compression, x heads,and a 750 edelbrock carb. The Dart has ridiculous toque and runs strong, but idles pretty rich. I have done very little Tuning on the carb.(checking transfer slots and idle mixture). I could live with the cam, if I could get it to lean out at idle, because it runs so strong.One other issue is slight surging at cruising speed.Thanks, Brian.

Tune it
timing 1st
then tune the carb
if it was mine i would do a comp test throw vacuum guage on it before you tune it

whats the timing?
Not sure, I haven’t put a light on it yet, because it has a fluid dampened balancer, so I want to determine if marks are correct (?). I have played with the timing just by advancing and retarding , then driving, I know that isn’t correct, but just a quick thing! The distributor has been re curved and the vacuum advance is not hooked to a vacuum line, so I need to figure out where to start with all of this!

I’m not getting why you’re focusing on the cam when you, from the sound of what you’ve posted, don’t have it anywhere near dialed in yet. It takes time, trial and error to get the carb (among everything else) and timing optimized. Changing a cam doesn’t change that. Work on what you have first and see what you can do with it......:thumbsup:

Lots of builds get too big of a cam.
it wasnt my cam was to big it just needed 4.10s and a converter :)
it was a trip taking people for a ride and shifting into drive at 108 109 mph
3.23s 727 26.99 tall tires
love 3.23s

Not sure, I haven’t put a light on it yet, because it has a fluid dampened balancer, so I want to determine if marks are correct (?). I have played with the timing just by advancing and retarding , then driving, I know that isn’t correct, but just a quick thing! The distributor has been re curved and the vacuum advance is not hooked to a vacuum line, so I need to figure out where to start with all of this!

Get a piston dead stop and find TDC, mark your damper, then go from there...

Powerhouse Products POW101330 Powerhouse Products Top Dead Center Stops | Summit Racing

Might want to check if it has a roller cam, check for magnum motor intake manifold bolts or pull a valve cover and look into the lifter valley..

But first things first, get with someone who can help you dial it in.

Best source for a cam recommendation?

Pay the man, David Vizard.

Best source for a cam recommendation?

Pay the man, David Vizard.
Not a peep from Him in a month, hope He's just too busy to post a new vid, a lot on His plate at like 80 yrs. old.
Funny, in '06 I spec'd a cam from Comp using extreme energy hydraulic lobes, the guy on the phone questioned My choices all the way around. After realizing I wouldn't be talked out of it, they obliged & sent it, ran great. Many years later, I got their Desktop Dyno5, and ran it against every profile loaded in the program. Only 1 cam made more torque & hp, and that was below 5K, and on it's way down where this car was hitting the converter. It was the smaller of the mechanical cams in the program, which would be great if running a stk. Juice wheel & 3.42's...

A looooooooooot of expense to change cams when no tuning has been done to dial in this cam.
Rich idle, surging, are all part of engine tuning. Getting these things correct will more than likely result in smiles all around.
Idle timing is the first thing to get correct [ NOT the carb ].
So check the timing, in gear, & report back [ hint: it may not be this much now, but it might want 40*..or more ].

When I put my 318 together it was sending the plugs black even though I had the mixture screws in the best spot. I had idle timing set at 12 degrees. It wasn't until I adjusted the idle timing to 20 degrees that it cleaned up the plugs and made the low end response a lot better. The camshaft is a 204/214 @ 50 thou , so not a big cam.

Leave the vac advance unhooked for now. It will only complicate things.

I run a fluid dampner. Get yourself a timing tape, verify TDC and apply it. MArk and set total timing to 38 degrees, check inital.

Let us know what happens.

Yeah, butt-o-meter timing can tell You if total timing was a good bit off, plus or minus. To get the thing dialed in tho', well, You gotta do it right. You seem to know where to start here, get or make a TDC stop & verify the marks, get Your baseline readings & go. Most SBMs end up in the 34-36 total timing range, best idle timing depends on the combo, everything from 12° to locked-out at the total timing. It would be helpful to have actual cam specs, to know what You're workin' with.
Occasionally a cam/intake combo will cause a surge at certain part-throttle rpms, that may or may not be the case, otherwise it is usually;
1) lean condition
2) unstable fuel level or pressure
3) excessive timing at part throttle
Get Your baseline numbers & let Us know.
Also, setting idle timing by the vacuum gauge can work, but doesn't always give You the ideal. I've seen it bite people who "lived" by that method.

a 750 edelbrock carb. The Dart has ridiculous toque and runs strong, but idles pretty rich.
That is a metering rod carb, right? ; make sure that the metering rods are staying down at idle, and also at low rpm/ modest throttle. That takes manifold vacuum; and if your idle-timing is retarded, or if the Vcan has been disconnected, good luck.
The stock convertor will also make this just a bit of a chore.

To see how much Part Throttle timing your engine wants , rev it up in Neutral/Park to just below your stall-rpm and hold the rpm there while;
You advance the timing a lil. Keep advancing, and dialing back the rpm, until additional timing produces NO additional rpm.
Now, put a light on it at the rpm that you were keeping it at. Subtract THREE degrees, and write it down. That is the Part Throttle timing that she will want, at that rpm.
Suppose your stall is 2400.
Choose 2200 for your target rpm.
Suppose your engine tops out there at 50 degrees.
How are you gonna get it?
Typically, your base-timing will be in the range of 14 to 20 degrees.
Typically your Power-Timing will be 36 degrees after say 3600.
That leaves about 20 degrees to be brought in by the centrifical system.
Typically, you bring it in at the rate of ~.8 degree per 100rpm, beginning around 1000rpm.
Thus, those 20 degrees will not be "all-in" until (20/.8)+ ( the start point of say 16*@1000)=3600
Therefore, at 2200; the centrifical will be; (2200 less 1000)/100, times .8degree,=9.6 degrees
So then, your all-in, before Vacuum advance will be 16 + 9.6= 25.6 degrees.
From the target of 50*, you are thus 24.4 degrees short, which HAS to come from the Vacuum Advance system.
Well, the Vcan is able to be modified out to 22* for sure ( I have done that), to possibly 24* ( Trailbeast has done that). Suppose you can get all 24. Then Badboom, yur in business.
But if your can only makes 20*, then you gotta get the rest from somewhere else. The easiest place is to just advance your base timing to 4* from 16 to 20* Badaboom. But hang on, if you do that, then your Power-Timing will also jump up 4 degrees to 40*, which, in a Mope, is practically guaranteed to cause detonation. So then, you gotta go back inside the D and limit the centrifical to 4* less, which would be 16*.
Badaboom, now you have a starter curve.
Now you get to fine tune it.
Happy HotRodding.

PS, someone mentioned to disconnect the Vcan until you get your PowerTiming bugged out. This is probably a good idea if this is your first tune.
Sometimes the engine will except 36* of Power-Timing at 3200 rpm, sometimes not until 3800, so you gotta hunt around to find the switch-point that your engine likes. Once you find it, write it down.
Sometimes you can/ sometimes you have to; swap some base-timing with the PowerTiming, either way to keep the combo, under load, from detonating. When you do that, you always gotta go back and re-engineer the Idle-Timing. And finally, Once the Power-Timing switch point is established, and the centrifical advance has been selected to establish the Idle-Timing, you still get to play with the "rate of advance" in-between those two points. Usually but not always, it sorta depends on your stall, you want to bring it "all-in" as fast as she will accept it without detonating. This will energize low rpm operation.
However;
Since WOT operation is NOT gonna be your primary mode of operation, at least it is not mine,lol, IMO, if you have choices to make, it is always better to bias them for your mode of operation, which typically, will be at 50% throttle or less. To help me with this, after I have selected the PowerTiming, I disable the secondaries, and do the rest of the timing-tuning on the Primaries only. This just takes the guess work out of it, and keeps your speeds down during testing. Your 3.23s and tires will get you about 60mph @3800 in SECOND gear, which is about where you can stop your Power Testing. Keep an eye out for JohnnyLaw.

It might help you to know that your engine, any engine, has exactly one perfect crank position that it wants peak cylinder pressure to occur at. This is said to be between ~25 and 28 degrees AFTER TDC. All your timing systems are designed to try and achieve that. Your job is to target that window and hit it as often as you can, and for as many load sttings as you can. Trying is about the best that you can do.
And finally; your WOT butt-dyno will not be able to tell the difference in the first two gears, if you are "bang-on", or up to three degrees short of optimum, so don't sweat the last three degrees. To actually find it, your dyno operator probably found it, and your top speed will point to it, but with 3.23s, that will be really really dangerous. The qtr-mile trapspeed is also a good guide.
Most of us just slap 34 to 36 degrees on it, and good enough........ especially with a stroker, lol. It will save you mucho time .
Somebody said to get your idle-engineered First before anything else. I agree, because if you don't, you will never be happy, and the car will spend too much time in the garage. I know it might sound daunting to get the tune into her, but when you finally do, you'll forgive her; I guarantee it.
Yknow, my wife complained everyday about being pregnant, but the truth is, as soon as she was healed up, she forgot all about it, and she went on to have more babies, lol. You'll forget all about the hassles too.
If it makes you feel better, I have a 367/4speed/with 3.55s. She will idle down to 550 in first gear, pulling herself around all day. and with the 750DP up top, will take WOT anytime, exploding in a noisome cloud of fury. And this, with 11/1 Scr and a 230/237/110 cam. Edit; and it does this with just 5* of advance.
I never begrudge her the time it took to make that happen.
You also will forget, lol.

Last edited:
Need to tell us the cam spec's.
Was the cam degreed in during assembly?
Please provide the cylinder pressure numbers from a compression test of each cylinder.
It would be great if you provide us with some close up pic's of your spark plugs.
Correctly reading the plugs will tell you a lot about the fuel mixture and timing.

When I put my 318 together it was sending the plugs black even though I had the mixture screws in the best spot. I had idle timing set at 12 degrees. It wasn't until I adjusted the idle timing to 20 degrees that it cleaned up the plugs and made the low end response a lot better. The camshaft is a 204/214 @ 50 thou , so not a big cam.
That cam shouldn't need 20 degrees of initial timing. As an example a 256 @ solid cam with 320 adv duration making 9 inches of vacuum with a 108 LSA needed 22 degrees of initial timing.

So check the timing, in gear, & report back [ hint: it may not be this much now, but it might want 40*..or more ].
Neither should it need 40 or more. Every degree before TDC you ignite the mixture is wasted energy not applied to the crank when it can translate to forward motion. High Idle timing is a function of too much overlap and too much exhaust residual in the chamber requiring earlier ignition because the mixture is diluted or lean. LEAN MIXTURES BURN SLOW!!!!!!

That cam shouldn't need 20 degrees of initial timing. As an example a 256 @ solid cam with 320 adv duration making 9 inches of vacuum with a 108 LSA needed 22 degrees of initial timing.

Neither should it need 40 or more. Every degree before TDC you ignite the mixture is wasted energy not applied to the crank when it can translate to forward motion. High Idle timing is a function of too much overlap and too much exhaust residual in the chamber requiring earlier ignition because the mixture is diluted or lean. LEAN MIXTURES BURN SLOW!!!!!!

It also requires more initial when you don’t have enough compression ratio.

Call Comp. Cams and ask their advice. I believe they have a online cam calculator also

Go find a web page that explains how ignition timing works, and how to set it up correctly for performance use.
Then find a page on how to set up the particular type of carb you have.
All your going to get here is 15 pages of opinions, and confusion.

Need to tell us the cam spec's.
Was the cam degreed in during assembly?
Please provide the cylinder pressure numbers from a compression test of each cylinder.
It would be great if you provide us with some close up pic's of your spark plugs.
Correctly reading the plugs will tell you a lot about the fuel mixture and timing.
Right, so far no idea what the mystery cam is, or idle vacuum..

Hysteric,
It may well need 40*...or more at idle. I have run 53* at idle on a drag car, my street driver runs 48* & a BB Chev reqd 55*.
When you increase idle timing by turning the dist with the engine idling, & the rpm increases, that increase is because the engine is making more hp.
You have defeated your own argument with 'lean mixtures burn slow'. They sure do!
And that is exactly the reason long duration/high overlap cams need more idle timing because the mixture is lean, diluted with exh gas. Same with low CR. More residual combustion chamber space, more dilution, needs more timing. It is simply the nature of the beast.....

-
Back