Camshaft

-

Jonathan Paulsen

Reaction score
Hello all, I am rebuilding a 318, with .030 over pistons, 318 heads that at 1.78/1.50 valves, and a 4 barrel intake. What cam would you recommend? I am building it for daily driving that has some pep in its step. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Whats your favorite color? A X262 is cam from comp is a good step up with all the other stock stuff. Many tastes out there. Probably not 1 good answer

Compression ratio, rear gear, and converter stall are all factors in picking a camshaft. 65'

Looking at camshafts will give you a headache. I don't even recommend them any more. Too many choices and too much to go wrong if you choose the wrong one.

Looking at camshafts will give you a headache. I don't even recommend them any more. Too many choices and too much to go wrong if you choose the wrong one.

Well that's gonna encourage the hell out of him. LOL

If this 318 will have stock compression, stock exhaust manifolds, stock converter, and low (numerical) gears, leave the stock cam in it. Don’t spend the money. If you are willing to upgrade a few of those things then a camshaft upgrade makes much more sense. Personally I would do gears first, and then a torque converter. You’ll notice that more and can build the engine to suit them as time goes on.

I would use the Comp 260 High Energy cam [ NOT the Extreme energy which has more exh duration ].
It will work nicely with all the accessories, nice idle, & give a boost that you will feel.

If this 318 will have stock compression, stock exhaust manifolds, stock converter, and low (numerical) gears, leave the stock cam in it. Don’t spend the money. If you are willing to upgrade a few of those things then a camshaft upgrade makes much more sense. Personally I would do gears first, and then a torque converter. You’ll notice that more and can build the engine to suit them as time goes on.
What he said.
Wiki says you are at 371 ft above sealevel, so you got that going for you.
The only way I would spend money on a cam is if the stock one was wore out.
The only thing I would do different from TT5.9mag, is; I would put a 2800TC in the bellhousing first, and then gears; oh wait, I already did that, with zero regrets.

Ok Ima thinkin' a short why is in order;
If you put a bigger cam into it with a later-closing intake valve angle, WITH NO OTHER CHANGES, you will lose cylinder pressure. When that happens, the car starts to feel like a slug..... because it has LOST low-rpm power.. Your engine may gain absolute power but it will come much later in the rpm band. So with same convertor, you will be taking off from zero mph with less power, and with same rear gears, you will experience less performance...... until the rpm gets up into the midrange, beginning at say 3500rpm.
With 2.76 gears, this will not come around until perhaps 35 mph. That might be considered the break-even point to the stock cam. But full power might not show up until 4800=48mph.
See what I mean?
Other gears will give better results.
A higher stall will give even better results.

But if you are doing pistons, you are in an ideal position to increase your compression ratio, and that will provide the platform to run a slightly bigger cam.

Last edited:
What he said.
Wiki says you are at 371 ft above sealevel, so you got that going for you.
The only way I would spend money on a cam is if the stock one was wore out.
The only thing I would do different from TT5.9mag, is; I would put a 2800TC in the bellhousing first, and then gears; oh wait, I already did that, with zero regrets.

Ok Ima thinkin' a short why is in order;
If you put a bigger cam into it with a later-closing intake valve angle, WITH NO OTHER CHANGES, you will lose cylinder pressure. When that happens, the car starts to feel like a slug..... because it has LOST low-rpm power.. Your engine may gain absolute power but it will come much later in the rpm band. So with same convertor, you will be taking off from zero mph with less power, and with same rear gears, you will experience less performance...... until the rpm gets up into the midrange, beginning at say 3500rpm.
With 2.76 gears, this will not come around until perhaps 35 mph. That might be considered the break-even point to the stock cam. But full power might not show up until 4800=48mph.
See what I mean?
Other gears will give better results.
A higher stall will give even better results.

But if you are doing pistons, you are in an ideal position to increase your compression ratio, and that will provide the platform to run a slightly bigger cam.

What he said.

That would indeed be a goodun and a good deal too. Use new lifters of course and break it in just like a new cam.
Just wanting a little step up from factory, Comps 340 grind at fifty bucks would work nicely with just about any converter and gear. Has for me a few times.

Whats your favorite color? A X262 is cam from comp is a good step up with all the other stock stuff. Many tastes out there. Probably not 1 good answer
Sometimes when people ask me this question with only a combo of parts and nothing else like actual compression and flow numbers... i just tell them to pick what would be the largest cam they feel comfortable running and then pick the smallest they feel they could live with..aka 'whats the largest and smallest cam you would run with the car as is' punchline is the smaller cam is a more livable side to error towards.

-
Back