Can a Set of 1968 Dart Doors Fit on my 1973 Scamp

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if you guys can answer this question for me. :?: Can The Doors of a 1968 Plymouth Dart fit on my 1973 Plymouth Scamp? :?: These 1968 Plymouth Dart Doors have the Small Triangle-like Shape windows on the Front and they are for a Two door car only. any info helps, thanks you guys

Thanks for the Warm Welcome. you are the First 3 to Welcome me in and this is my First Posting. here is what my Scamp looks like and it is still a project. My dad and me are working to get the car Ready for the Summer. P.S. The car is not for sale, the sign is just there for laughs. Same thing for this Beauty at the Bottom. Not a muscle but still a rare beauty to find alive, you can't disagree. PRIMED but not Ready to paint yet.

Back to the Subject. I Still want to know :?: if the doors of a 1968 Plymouth Dart can fit a 1973 Plymouth Scamp? :?:. I put them on today (Took a lot of work adjusting doors (-
_-) ) and they fit almost perfect just for a few corner gaps and the window that bugs me. I will take pictures tomorrow. just need a few more answers. I am going to take back out the 1968 doors because of a few little problem corners that are small gaps and put back the doors that you see in picture tomorrow (MORE ADJUSTING!!! :angry1: :angryfir: :angry5: ). Man, I wanted the Small windows on the front but it looks like it can't happen. I don't want water going inside through the window. Better Safe than sorry.

P1010001.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010012-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the doors are identical from the outside other than the vent vindow. The will fit. You'll need the right weather stripping to seal the vent vindow properly to the roof and A pillar. Inside changed a bit - I think after 72 the upper door panel was used instead of the metal upper.

But to answer your question - yes they will fit, and if you're looking to add the vent window - that's the way to do it.

Sounds like you already figured out the doors will fit .
I'm no expert by far .
But I do believe the weather stripping will need to be changed.
Hence the gaps you spoke of .
I'd like to find a plymouth Dart those are rare ! JK
Welcome to fabo !!!

The doors will fit, need to change out the windows.

so what you guys are saying is that the 1968 Plymouth Dart doors can fix on my 1973 Plymouth Scamp. All I need to do is change the weather strips? or change out the windows? for danmc77 Yes The 68 Dart doors have the Metal upper and the ones I have on in the Picture are like Plastic that turned yellowish. The only problems I have with the doors is just that the Passager side top back window is sticking out and you can see the inside from that opening and the Small Triangle-shape window the top chrome edge is sticking out and not flush together.

A little is happening to the driver side but not as bad as the passager side. Driver side has the chrome silver Top Piece sticking out a little and it is not even with the other "Original chrome strip". I was thinking that the windows might have wrapped a little more straighter but I don't think that is possible. Plus The Original 1973 Rubber door seals are in the way and make the door a little hard to close completely but without them they close like they just came out of the manufacture. I am going to take Clear Pictures on every corner and Label them on the computer just to make sure.

For crackedback, What do you mean change the windows? You mean the original back windows? The Windows of the 1968 dart? I don't understand? :help:

The Dart doors will have a wind wing in them, IIRC, your scamp does not.

You need to remove the windows from the 73 doors and install them in the 68 doors, removing the wind wing windows.

I can't remove that! That is the Reason I am Putting them up to make it stand out and look more strong. Those small windows make it look desirable. I just can't. Both set of doors are in super great condition I just wanted the Wind wing windows to be there. Thanks for the info anyway. Any help is good help.:happy4: :happy4: :happy4: :happy4: :happy4:

interesting I didn't realize that the '73 and up doors didn't have the vent window. I do know how much fun doors are to adjust though, I just finished rebuilding the hinges and aligning the doors on the swinger.

The Dart doors will have a wind wing in them, IIRC, your scamp does not.

You need to remove the windows from the 73 doors and install them in the 68 doors, removing the wind wing windows.

That is strande. A Scamp is just a Dart with a Duster front end. I would think it would be the same door. Scamps did not have wing windows? I would not think they changed the A piller at all. I would try puting them on before you take the windows out. They may just fit.

That is strande. A Scamp is just a Dart with a Duster front end. I would think it would be the same door. Scamps did not have wing windows? I would not think they changed the A piller at all. I would try puting them on before you take the windows out. They may just fit.

Different weather strip IIRC. The door won't seal in the 73 with a vent window

If the holes for the weatherstripping are the same, just change everything to a '68 and it will work. The 4 doors had wing windows through all of the years as i recall, so the barrier here is the weatherstripping. Take the weatherstripping off the car, fit the '68 doors and see what you need to make it seal.
Your car would look better with the '68 doors and the wing windows, IMHO, and it shouldn't be that hard to do.
BTW, Dodge made Darts and Plymouth made Valiants/Scamps.
The doors that are really different in those years are the 2 door posts which had a upper door frame and would not fit at all, similar to a 4 door upper frame just extended.
I hope this helps, some pics of the doors that you want to install would help a lot.
Good luck on your project and post some pics when done.
Tom.

Always learning here!I have for sale 2 73 Dart doors,2 weeks ago at a swapmeet,I had a guy ask me if the 73,s would fit a 68?Well iI didn,t know,so no sale!Now I know.Thanks FABO!:wav:

The doors will fit. I put 70 Dart doors on my 73 Scamp. You need to use the molding where the roof rail weather strip goes. It will screw right in. I like the vent windows better.

Fred B

1167617821_car.jpg

Hello All Again, Today I shot a Few Pictures of the 1968 Plymouth Dart Doors put up on the 1973 Scamp. We gave up, we replaced back the Old doors. we can't Waste any more time, My Dad and me have to finish this car from the motor first to back. Thanks for all your Help. I will leave these Pictures here for Future Reference maybe it will help someone Else. Thank you. (There are Less summer days than Winter Days; Also if it is a Good Day and not rain ).

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010005-Copy.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

It actually looks like you`re on the right track but you`d probably have to use the weatherstrip and its chrome from the 68 to get a good fit with the vent windowed door. It looks like the entire glass assembly needs to be tilted inward. I think with some time you could achieve a good fit. I`ve even seen some 68 Barracuda race cars that used the later A-body glass in order to eliminate the weight and drag of the vent windows. I don`t know how they do it, but they do, so it`s very possible. Good luck with whatever you do.

Good pics. Looks like it could work to me. You may just need the trim and wether strip from a 68 and some time ajusting the door. Now we all know that it can be done. Thank you for puting upthe pics and your findings. You learn som thing new every day here at FABO.

-
Back