can any one help me with my son

-
I think the best way to interest a kid in this hobby is to buy him a classic Mopar now - at age 15. Make sure it needs lots of repairs. Then he'll be asking you to make time to help him get it ready for him to drive when he gets his license. I started a local Mopar car club 10 years ago (now defunct) and one of our early members was a 15 year old kid whose father bought him a 1969 Charger - in desparate need of repair. He was crazy about Mopars before he joined the club, but afterwards, he loved it even more. He attended meetings and saw other members' cars and heard what improvements were made to their crs since the last meet and that just gave him more desire to get his own car going.

Anyway, teenagers are tough to deal with. Give him your unconditional love and gentle encouragement - but rules are mandatory too. Maybe he just isn't a car guy - that's OK too. Best of luck and God bless you and your family.

hey man if he isn't interested then he isn't interested. who cares. i don't see the big deal. maybe you burnt him out by having him in the shop when he was younger. not everyone wants to be bothered with cars.

now if he expects you to do everything for him and then he gets to enjoy the cars thats a different story. cut him off and make him build what he wants . then you will see if he is really interested in cars.

as for me. i'm glad my boy isn't all into these money pits we call a hobby. i've had him around them since he was little. think i may have burned him out some on them. i'm kinda glad. i tell him not to be messing with them till he is older in life and can really enjoy them.. at he needs to be out doing other things with his money instead of playing with some rusty 40 year old dodge money pit.

Give him the car in pieces...at about 15.5...Tell him he can drive it when he puts it back together. My first car lasted about 2 miles and then I learned about cars FAST.

Don't pressure him, that's the worst thing you can do. Have him invite any buddies over and their dad's and start a father-son club. Play video games one time, talk about or work oncars one time, do some home repairs one time. Switch it up, go to each other's place, and build a relationship of dad's passing on what they know. Don't be afraid to include some girls if there are dad's with daughters instead of sons.

Just build a relationship, be up front with your son that it is important to you that you want him to share in the elbow grease part of liking cars.

Finally, if he still doesn't want to do it, adopt me, and you'll have to chase me out of your garage with a shotgun! LOL!

ps I really like the words from memike

I think the best way to interest a kid in this hobby is to buy him a classic Mopar now - at age 15. Make sure it needs lots of repairs. Then he'll be asking you to make time to help him get it ready for him to drive when he gets his license. I started a local Mopar car club 10 years ago (now defunct) and one of our early members was a 15 year old kid whose father bought him a 1969 Charger - in desparate need of repair. He was crazy about Mopars before he joined the club, but afterwards, he loved it even more. He attended meetings and saw other members' cars and heard what improvements were made to their crs since the last meet and that just gave him more desire to get his own car going.

Anyway, teenagers are tough to deal with. Give him your unconditional love and gentle encouragement - but rules are mandatory too. Maybe he just isn't a car guy - that's OK too. Best of luck and God bless you and your family.

Give him the car in pieces...at about 15.5...Tell him he can drive it when he puts it back together. My first car lasted about 2 miles and then I learned about cars FAST.

guys, he likes the fact that he can have them. He hasn't shown any desire to work on them. Look at the Snowmobiles, he keeps bugging his dad to get them fixed yet he's shown no interest in getting started. Something tells me that your way won't work very well.

Personally, I think 340plot's idea is the best for something like this.

I wouldn't give him a car especially a powerful car that he could wreck easily. I mean they will drive fast in anything but if he works for that car he will take more care of it. Also he will be working instead of playing video games. My dad didn't give me my first ride... I had to work for it.

I've played video games when I was young but once I hit the 15 or 16 yr old range I went to work wither I liked it or not. My dad wasn't cruel by no means but he wanted to show me that life wasn't all about setting on my *** playing video games. He showed me what insurance is on a car, keeping tires on it, oil changes, etc... and only I had to pay for it. Your wife needs to step aside and let dad do his job.

Sounds like a good kid. Remember he is a kid. Learn some of his video games. Do car racing. Time together playing a game is better than you watching from the hall. I was a single parent for 15 years. My children did the same thing. To make a long story short my oldest is a Sargent in a police dept and works on cars as a second job. I younger child is in grad school working on a medical degree.
Just join him in what he wants to do. It will lead back to what you believe is important.

Artie, he needs a summer at ol'rumbles house. Engine work, beach girls, car body work, NYC nights, drive train work, girls at the park, concerts,....

If he wants the ride bad enuff, tell'em it'll only get done if he wrench's on it, otherwise, someone else will do it and keep it.
LOL haha rumble,the one thing he doesn't need is more girls they call and text him from the time hes awake tell he goes to bed.you have met him and seen my shop and i'm sure you know my concern. I would hate to see all that go to waste............Artie

dam I wasn't expecting this many responses THANKS to everyone.I guess I will let nature take its curse and see what happens.I just hope IM around to see it.and I will try the used car thing..thanks again........Artie:happy1::prayer:

first time iv seen this IN it sems like yrs.................man its hard to tell whats been seid....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowell to old to worry abou it. know it hard to tell whats been seid sece then...haha:lurk:

This is my story when I was very young I became interested in cars, no one in my family did more than drive them and to this day I have no idea where I contracted this illness. My sons 21 and 24 have been around cars and trucks since birth, both of them appreciate old cars and my youngest is a very good mechanic [a natural born mechanic I hardly taught him anything he just knows] but he has no intrest in owning a classic at this time, my oldest is like me infatuated with cars, horsepower, speed but has no intrest in working on them, he bought a 73 charger project which I replaced the metal and did all the bodywork [with his help some times] he tried welding and is an average painter but he ended up selling the project after two and a half years of work. Both my sons have full time jobs and are going to collage so maybe some day they will get the urge [I believe I planted the seed just got to wait for it to sprout] you have done as much as you can, my opinion is to sell off all of your stuff and buy yourself what you want or keep you most prized car and finish it up for you to enjoy. With your health issues concern yourself with your health and happiness, he'll come around let him be a kid now, I understand your probably thinking you need to spend time with him cause you time is possibly limited so why not go hang out with him and play some video games [might not be your cup of tea] but your spending time with him just the same [plus it's priceless when an old fart kicks their butt at their own game]!!!!

Yeah, but I'll bet this driver's license has expired.

GraveDiggerdirt.jpg

Artie's out on the loose, diggin.

My neighbors son is the same way. I don't want to scare you but we think he's gay. If he starts drawing a ***** in the dust on the cars, You then know he has problems.

I'm 20 and for awhile I did play video games but I haven't really in about two years at least. In fact, I still have a PSOne with the original box and everything that I just sold to a friend of mine as a collector's item. My PS2 is collecting dust as well and I may sell it too. I just don't care for them anymore. The first games I played were on dad's Atari 5200 (in the 90s that was an old game console, not a collectors item). My father and I have tried to get my brother off the things but all he wants to do in his freetime is video games, stays indoors all cooped up in the bedroom. I work my tail off at work and with my side business, full time college student (taking a break in the library now), go to the gym when I have time and hit the bike trails, and I'm building an old first-gen Stratus in an old school fashion (I'm very weird yes). Oh and I stayed in Boy Scouts and became an Eagle with an extensive clothing drive program with the local VA. video games took over and my brother dropped out of anything extra-curicular.

Is being gay a problem, now?

Tisk, tisk.

I'm actually curious as to how all of this turned out, seeing as how this thread is several years old.

Time for a round table ( as I call it) My sons are 29 and 31 now and WHEN they was at the age your son is it's a hard thing to do to get there minds off the ladies and things that are going on in there life at this time.....

To your son, I understand that these new cool video games are fun, But lets look at the big picture for a moment Time is not on your fathers side, and it sounds like you have been blest with a good home and family :cheers:
Us old farts need your attention and care and a thank you now and then and the time you spend playing games that take you away from him and life around you is hurting you and your dad, like I said time is not on your dads side and he has been there and dun so many things to get you and your family where you are today :cheers:.
Take a close look at your father!! and the things he enjoys in life, he has taught you many things and the world is changing and some times our children and our old hobbies is what keeps us happy and healthy...
It would mean the world to your father if you would just box up all the video games and stay off the computer playing games and at least give him 2 or three days or partial days a week..... Bring a friend or 2 over with you when you work on these cars you and your dad are blest with and now is the time to make this move and change in responsibility of your time! as you have your dad by your side.
I have no father, I have no shop full of tools and an experienced person to teach these things to me and I bet you have friends that would jump at this opportunity to enjoy some time helping your father help you...
I am almost your fathers age young gun and believe it or not we need fellowship from our children, Don't wait till it's to late and the dream of having the hobby you and your dad can share and you can enjoy for allot longer...
I hope you understand what I am saying, YES!! Us old farts need to see our children laugh and have fun with us, it will do your dad good and you will grow even more then you can imagine!!

godfatherofchry, I hope my words are understandable and I have not crossed the line here. All the things he has accomplished I am sure you are very proud of him, I just hope he can see what I am saying, My uncle was my father and I always dreamed of having a home and a father like you when I was a young gun, But now I am here for my children doing the things I wanted out of a father
I have a teenage stepson and he is the same way if I put him doing something that he can learn from and do I let him do it and he likes it more if he messes up I don't say anything I just go back and fix it if he tells me he messed up then I teach him how to fix it, he is going to be a teenager just don't force him or you will push him away

Mike your such a inspiration I loved your post and brought a tear to my eye
I lost my dad 7 years ago and I can be working on the old car wishing he was here to help me with it was something we always wanted to do, My wife has stood outside the garage and listened to me talking to my dad like he was there and step around the corner balling her eyes out. But it's away for me to cope
"I know every one thinks I'm crazy now":sad5:

Is being gay a problem, now?

Tisk, tisk.

I'm actually curious as to how all of this turned out, seeing as how this thread is several years old.

***** drawings scratched into the paint on a car is a problem. Especially when you only notice them after you park your car at a show.

I have a teenage stepson and he is the same way if I put him doing something that he can learn from and do I let him do it and he likes it more if he messes up I don't say anything I just go back and fix it if he tells me he messed up then I teach him how to fix it, he is going to be a teenager just don't force him or you will push him away

Mike your such a inspiration I loved your post and brought a tear to my eye
I lost my dad 7 years ago and I can be working on the old car wishing he was here to help me with it was something we always wanted to do, My wife has stood outside the garage and listened to me talking to my dad like he was there and step around the corner balling her eyes out. But it's away for me to cope
"I know every one thinks I'm crazy now":sad5:

You are not crazy. I still listen to oldies on the radio while working in the barn and remember the same songs on the radio when we worked together in the 70`s Memory last longer than anything else.

-
Back