Can anyone identify these heads?

-

justthatguy

Josh(69 Valiant)
Reaction score
I was on my local marketplace and noticed these heads. They don't look like stock remans, or at least none that I've ever seen, but they do look an awful lot like engine quest heads, because they have a very similar chamber from pics I've seen. The brand is enginetech, but I think they might actually be engine quest and really good heads for me to use on a 360. Can anyone confirm or deny this before I go pick these up?

HEADS.jpg

E/Q 5.9 Magnum replacement heads.Bigger intake and exhaust ports ,better airflow

They use stud rockers that oil through the pushrods. You will need different lifters, pushrods and Magnum rocker arms among other items to make them work.

I was aware, but these will go on a magnum 360. I found a complete donor vehicle with a running 360 and 46rh but I just wanted to make sure that I was looking at an EQ head. If it is, we have a source for these bad boys that's 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else on the internet. I just investigated on rock auto and sure enough, it's $219 bare, and $396 assembled.

I was aware, but these will go on a magnum 360. I found a complete donor vehicle with a running 360 and 46rh but I just wanted to make sure that I was looking at an EQ head. If it is, we have a source for these bad boys that's 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else on the internet. I just investigated on rock auto and sure enough, it's $219 bare, and $396 assembled.
Good price. I paid 1200 with new springs and retainers.

Jake

RA's shipping may make up that $100 difference. Hopefully not though.

I'm assuming that being R-A parts, the springs on the assembled ones are just stock-ish rates. So new springs at least for performance, to add to the cost. Or start with the bare heads.

Geee... they show 1 bare and '2 loaded' left now LOL

I don't think those are actual EngineQuest heads, if that is your question. These are probably the Chinese replacement heads, and they are definitely for Magnum engines as others have stated. If these are the version I think they are, others have mentioned them before, saying the castings are quite rough inside the ports.
You'd likely be money and horsepower ahead ordering properly prepped and assembled EQ heads from someone like IMM.
If you do buy these, post some pics so we can see them.

For $150 I think it's worth the risk, even if they aren't real EQ heads, I can use them to replace the heads on the magnum that I'm sure are probably cracked. I can always clean the ports up a little, smooth out the casting. For an almost new head, I don't think I can really lose.

I should clarify I'll be buying used. I wonder if RA has the price dropped to move them.
Did you ever wind up buying these heads and if so, how did they work out for you? What was the quality of them?

-
Back