Can Auto-Body Parts Sprout Legs or Wings and Walk/Fly Away on Their Own?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Last year took my '65 Formula S to a trusted body ship that painted my '72 Satellite. After partially stripping the paint, we found so much rust, I had the bare bones body towed on a flatbed to a sandblaster. The bare body was primed at the sandblaster where the rusted sheet metal panels were replaced. The painter at the body shop broke his foot, so the bare body (now with a coat of primer to prevent rust) was stored and sent to my home.

The loose sandblasted/primed body parts were stored at the body shop (doors, hood, trunk, fenders, moldings, dash frame).

Now over a year later, the painter is finally back to work and on Friday I delivered the bare body back to him. On the way home, I stop at the paint store to give the paint mixer guy the factory paint codes and he puts himself to work to mix up some tiny paint panels to give me a real-life sample of the factory white and gold I want to reproduce. I leave and he tells me to come back the next day.

So Saturday, I first stop by the body shop to leave a small deposit to get the work started again. The owner and myself look around and find all the loose body pieces. Well, almost find all the pieces, the bare dash frame is missing. I know I don't have it at home. The shop has been rented out the last year to another guy, who is also present and tells me he never remembers seeing my dash frame. So where could it be and what does a replacement bare dash frame cost? I leave perplexed.

I stop by the paint store where the mixer has samples of white and gold on little metal rectangles that have a popsicle sticks for handles. The paint shades look satisfactory, and we discuss the racing stripe and paint materials for about 20 minutes. Right before I leave, I tell the paint store guy I am pleased with the way things are going, but I still have one very major concern, my dash frame has turned up missing!

The paint store assistant to the paint mixer overhears my comment. He then tells me they have a dash frame they found in storage the day before. I look at them in disbelief, then they lead me to the rear part of the business. There it is, my very own dash frame!

Over a year ago, the owner of the body shop brought the dash to the paint store to have the paint mixer match the medium gold (and the dark gold surrounding the defroster vents). He never returned to pick it up and must have forgotten all about it this AM when we were looking all over for it. I felt a very strong sense of relief for the remainder of the afternoon.

DSC06626.JPG

Good you got it back. Too many paint shop horror stories on here. That could have been disaster for those of us with VIN on dash...:eek:

One of a kind tools and various necessary parts seem to fly away all the time where I work.

Last year took my '65 Formula S to a trusted body ship that painted my '72 Satellite. After partially stripping the paint, we found so much rust, I had the bare bones body towed on a flatbed to a sandblaster. The bare body was primed at the sandblaster where the rusted sheet metal panels were replaced. The painter at the body shop broke his foot, so the bare body (now with a coat of primer to prevent rust) was stored and sent to my home.

The loose sandblasted/primed body parts were stored at the body shop (doors, hood, trunk, fenders, moldings, dash frame).

Now over a year later, the painter is finally back to work and on Friday I delivered the bare body back to him. On the way home, I stop at the paint store to give the paint mixer guy the factory paint codes and he puts himself to work to mix up some tiny paint panels to give me a real-life sample of the factory white and gold I want to reproduce. I leave and he tells me to come back the next day.

So Saturday, I first stop by the body shop to leave a small deposit to get the work started again. The owner and myself look around and find all the loose body pieces. Well, almost find all the pieces, the bare dash frame is missing. I know I don't have it at home. The shop has been rented out the last year to another guy, who is also present and tells me he never remembers seeing my dash frame. So where could it be and what does a replacement bare dash frame cost? I leave perplexed.

I stop by the paint store where the mixer has samples of white and gold on little metal rectangles that have a popsicle sticks for handles. The paint shades look satisfactory, and we discuss the racing stripe and paint materials for about 20 minutes. Right before I leave, I tell the paint store guy I am pleased with the way things are going, but I still have one very major concern, my dash frame has turned up missing!

The paint store assistant to the paint mixer overhears my comment. He then tells me they have a dash frame they found in storage the day before. I look at them in disbelief, then they lead me to the rear part of the business. There it is, my very own dash frame!

Over a year ago, the owner of the body shop brought the dash to the paint store to have the paint mixer match the medium gold (and the dark gold surrounding the defroster vents). He never returned to pick it up and must have forgotten all about it this AM when we were looking all over for it. I felt a very strong sense of relief for the remainder of the afternoon.

View attachment 1715363139

WOW, go buy a lottery ticket !

Wow...wouldn't put much faith in that paint guy after that...definitely keep 'em on a shorter leash

-
Back