Can I install Duster headliner without removing windshield?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've stripped everything I can from the interior of my '71 Duster and hope to have the car painted in a few weeks. I've purchased a new headliner and the logistics will be tough to get the car to an upholstry shop to install the headliner while the windshield and rear window are out. I've cut the edges off of the window gaskets that overlap the headliner. Can I do a decent job of installing the headliner before the windshield and rear window are removed for the paint job?

The headliner is suspended from 4 bows and I can see "teeth" around the edges that apparantly hold the headliner - plus there are some metal clips that help hold it along the left and right sides. A local shop told me that it is necessary to glue the headliner around the windows while the windows are out.

i have had it done while the glass was still in the car. this was on a cuda. hope it helps

I had mine professionally installed, four bow, and they didn't remove the windows.

You can but it's a *****. And you have to be good at it to get all the lines out.

The pros use what looks like surgical tools to place the material on the stakes behind the gasket.
You'll need to get the front center stretch dead on and pin it at the rear view mirror,
Gathering some slack and wrinkles at the front corners is normal wheather the windshield is removed or not. It's mostly hidden by the visorr hangers.
Any way you go at it , its a chore. Cover those rear seat anchors or they will eat your knees.

Thanks. I guess that, any way you cut it, this is a tought job that I probably don't want to do while the temperature and humidity are both in the 80s and 90s.

-
Back