Can I mix Thompson's water deal with a stain & sealant?

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
Of another brand for 160 pickets (need to spread out the sealant)

An building a fence in the backyard where the neighbor's old fence rotted out.

It's not easy to be in this hobby.

You can mix anything with anything. Will it work is the question.

Yes, Rob. That is what I need to know. Am in a bind-am not fooling around. I have mixed with Olympic stain/sealant before.
It worked good, but this Behr stain/sealant could be different.

Lowes could not give me the same Olympic anymore

I would mix up a little of each and see if they play nice.

As long as it's all oil based you should be able too. But if it's a solid color stain it might turn a little transparent if mixed with the sealer.....just give it a try on a scrap piece.

As long as it's all oil based you should be able too. But if it's a solid color stain it might turn a little transparent if mixed with the sealer.....just give it a try on a scrap piece.

Bingo. As long as they use the same solvents, it should be fine.

I think it would taste better with mixed whiskey....

I'd go with the test small amount idea. If not sure what base they are, you can get a good idea by checking what the recommended cleanup is. If one cleans with 'soap and water' and other with solvent, odds are not good for mixing.

Stain first!!! The Thompsons will leave a slightly waxy surface which will resist stain penetration.

Personally I would just apply a good quality oil/stain every 2 years and skip the Thompsons which only lasts a couple years anyhow.

Look at the ingredients. If solvents are same, good chance they're compatible. BUT, to be on the safe side mix a very small amount of each together to see what happens. If no kick out, or bad reactions, paint a small section in a place it is not easy to see.

Why would you even want to mix the two? Are you thinking it will be a superior product? I doubt it. Get you some good paint. Forget the Thompsons water seal additive!

-
Back