Can I remove the windshield on my 65 myself?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I have the factory 65 service manual. The instructions don't seem too difficult to remove the front windshield on my 65 Valiant. But doing it is different I guess. It's already cracked and will need to be replaced but I don't know if glass companies get a new one anymore. I need to get it out to repair my dash where the radio was cut and repaint it. The factory service manual says to remove the lockstrip and push the windshield out of the gaskets and remove. But how do you get the lockstrip out? Can I remove the whole windshield and do everything myself? Getting my friend to help me out on anything is impossible.

I have the factory 65 service manual. The instructions don't seem too difficult to remove the front windshield on my 65 Valiant. But doing it is different I guess. It's already cracked and will need to be replaced but I don't know if glass companies get a new one anymore. I need to get it out to repair my dash where the radio was cut and repaint it. The factory service manual says to remove the lockstrip and push the windshield out of the gaskets and remove. But how do you get the lockstrip out? Can I remove the whole windshield and do everything myself? Getting my friend to help me out on anything is impossible.

The short answer is I would not recommend doing this by yourself.

Remove the chrome trim (if any) around the windshield to expose the lockstrip. Carefully look around the lockstrip to find a gap in it. Use a small screwdriver to pull out one end. At this point, grab a hold and pull while following it around the windshield. It is possible that it will break. If so, start again with the remainder.

The first time I did this there were a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing special, so put two of them to work with me. Two of us worked around the windshield freeing it from the gasket. The third was inside the car putting pressure on the windshield so that it would not try to re-seat in the gasket. When we got the windshield out, we took it by each side and walked it over the front of the car. The gasket can be removed from the body at this point. If the gasket is stiff or cracked, I'd recommend replacing that and the lockstrip.

One guy can carry a windshield, but I doubt I'll see one guy that can put it in without a lifting device. I see it as at least a two man job, three if you can find 'em.

To grease things up, I used WD-40 (can be used on lockstrip, too.) It makes things messy, so have a bunch of paper towels/rags around.

My gasket is soft and pliable but the windshield itself already is cracked. That's why I wasn't totally worried about removing it because it's going to have to be replaced. Will a glass replacement company have a new windshield for it?

I removed my back window by myself but it wasn't easy. Kinda hard to push on the window and hold the gasket back at the same time. So what I did was I had some sheet metal strips about 8 inches long. I put a bend in them about 1/2 inch from one edge. I then used them to wedge between the glass edge and the gasket holding the gasket even with the glass. The corners will still be over the glass but you can push on the corner standing on the outside while pulling back on the gasket corner to get it started pushing out. I put the sheet metal pieces along the top and sides since the glass lifts out from the bottom lip anyway. Once the glass freed the corner, it was simple to get the glass edge to clear the gasket since the sheet metal pieces were already holding the gasket even with the glass edge. Make sure you loosen the gasket on both sides so it moves freely before inserting the strips. I have priced glass for a 63 so I would assume you can get glass for a 65.

Check with some local auto glass companies in your area. They can still get most windshields. They usually can't get the rubber gasket though. You can get that from www.steelerubber.com . I seriously doubt a 45 year old windshield gasket is going to be reusable. In which case you can cut the rubber and get the glass out easier after removing the lockstrip. Wear heavy work gloves in case you slip or drop the glass so you don't cut your fingers off (seen that before).

i prefer spray silicone over wd-40...after removing the lockstrip carefully run a "windshield stik" around the gasket to get it free ...they like to stick to the glass...someone used sealer on mine but in the end i had to get in the car and use my feet toget the glass started out of the seal(in my case 1 corner) because i was working alone..i then went outside the car and GENTLY pulled the glass out...I was able to get both pieces out of my 37 yr old car without breaking it...A glass guy told me about the foot methou...nut just steady/firm pressure(lots of silicone) I really thought it would break...but it didnt...It is really not all that tough...but i would recommend new gaskets...the are nice and soft...and go in easily...good luck....I think amd might have your glass...

-
Back