Can someone recommend a V8 Crate Motor?

-

cesibley

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade for more power. Currently has stock 273. I have a modified 8.75 Sure Grip Rear and Factory Disc Brakes installed. High horsepower is not an issue. Have been looking at 408CI 445HP/500FTLB engine by Blueprint Engines but am concerned that drive-ability would be compromised. I'd like a relatively quiet smooth idle. Not necessarily monster power, but a good step up from the 273. Would like to stay with an LA block. Any thoughts or recommendations?

This will be going into my '64 Dart Convertible.

Thanks,

Curt.

Interested in this as well. Wanting to upgrade to a 383 or a 400, but the way its looking it might be cheaper to go with a crate engine

MRL Performance has some "crate" engines based on a 360. Mike built a 440 for me. Good and knowledgeable individual. Check him out. Not sure on Blue Print prices but I do know Mike will answer any and all questions for you.

MRL Performance

Jasper. We deal with them all the time at the shop. Very good product and they back it up. You can have them build you a nice HP 360. 800-827-7455.

i would also call mrl.he built my 408 stroker.for what you will pay for a blue print engine,he will build you a real engine that will put a smile on your face

Looking to upgrade for more power. Currently has stock 273. I have a modified 8.75 Sure Grip Rear and Factory Disc Brakes installed. High horsepower is not an issue. Have been looking at 408CI 445HP/500FTLB engine by Blueprint Engines but am concerned that drive-ability would be compromised. I'd like a relatively quiet smooth idle. Not necessarily monster power, but a good step up from the 273. Would like to stay with an LA block. Any thoughts or recommendations?

This will be going into my '64 Dart Convertible.

Thanks,

Curt.
Blue print has the longest warranty I could find. My mechanic likes Jasper for his stock motor replacements.

Have a local shop build you what you want. Stay away from crates. Jasper is a replacement engine company. Not a performance company. Blueprint has a mixed record - enough that I'd not trust them at this point. If you are near Indio Motor Machine I would second Brian.

Have a local shop build you what you want. Stay away from crates. Jasper is a replacement engine company. Not a performance company. Blueprint has a mixed record - enough that I'd not trust them at this point. If you are near Indio Motor Machine I would second Brian.

Jasper certainly does offer a line of performance engines.

I never said they didn't offer them. I said they are not a performance engine company. And before I get bum-rushed - I've installed probably 30 Jasper engines over the years, including several of their "high performance" packages and about 50% made it past the warranty. Failures ranged from head gaskets to rings to hard parts. They are good value and have a place in the market. They are not what I would call "good engines".

I never said they didn't offer them. I said they are not a performance engine company. And before I get bum-rushed - I've installed probably 30 Jasper engines over the years, including several of their "high performance" packages and about 50% made it past the warranty. Failures ranged from head gaskets to rings to hard parts. They are good value and have a place in the market. They are not what I would call "good engines".

Nobody's bum rushing you. I simply stated that they do offer them. I think I wouldda stopped long before 30 if they were that bad.

Never said they were good either. I was simply lettin you know they made a high performance line. I had no idea what you knew and didn't know.

in So Cal, best builder in your area is not that far away. Brian(OU812) builds solid motors. Indio can't be that far from you.

IMM...please... Crate engines aren't bad,they are just generically built.... Brian will take the time ,to tailor an engine,to your EXACT needs...If it was a Chevy or Ford,I would do a crate.. Mopar is just different enough, you really would benefit from an experienced Mopar builder....

IMM...please... Crate engines aren't bad,they are just generically built.... Brian will take the time ,to tailor an engine,to your EXACT needs...If it was a Chevy or Ford,I would do a crate.. Mopar is just different enough, you really would benefit from an experienced Mopar builder....
-----------this !----------

Sorry to disagree with you, but Jasper puts out good engines and backs it up with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and they build performance engines as well. We install a lot of them and never had an issue "so far". It really comes down to what you want.

Last edited:
-
Back