Can someone tell me what this is?

-

ccsbivens

Reaction score
Tried posting this in my restoration thread but have gotten no replies, so I'ma see if I can post it here and get some traffic
Was giving my 74 Dart Swinger a run through to get a parts list together and can't identify what this "radiator" looking component is that goes directly in front of the radiator
I assumed it was a trans cooler, but was discouraged on that idea when I tried hooking it back up
The pictures are at the bottom of the first page on my restoration thread, just scroll all the way down
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=304893
Thanks in advance!
-ccsbivens

Why do I have it If there's no other a.c. components? Definately storing it until the day I want a.c.. How sure are we before I rip it out? Never seen an ac that used a radiator
-Ccsbivens

Look at the heater controls in the dash, above the radio. Is there a selection for A/C ?

I'ma look at my build sheet and see if it came stock with an a.c.. Pretty sure that raises the value a couple bucks ;)

you have the other A/C stuff right there, the dryer is that bottle looking thing next to the condensor.

you have the other A/C stuff right there, the dryer is that bottle looking thing next to the condensor.

Hmm.. I'ma look into hooking it back up then. Still waiting on my Haynes manual to come in the mail, it'll tell me how I'm sure
Thanks for clearing that up!
So I assume the trans cooler lines will hook up into my new radiator like a normal one?
-ccsbivens

Looked at the build sheet, no a.c.. probably why it's not hooked up, owner probably planned on it but never finished it. So it's getting removed
Thanks again!
-ccsbivens

Looked at the build sheet, no a.c.. probably why it's not hooked up, owner probably planned on it but never finished it. So it's getting removed
Thanks again!
-ccsbivens

It could have been an aftermarket add on A/C system. They used to have dealer installed systems in the cars that weren't equipped with it from the factory.

You can download a factory manual off this site, just use the search.

Hmm.. I'ma look into hooking it back up then. Still waiting on my Haynes manual to come in the mail, it'll tell me how I'm sure
Thanks for clearing that up!
So I assume the trans cooler lines will hook up into my new radiator like a normal one?
-ccsbivens

I hate when I hit the enter button instead of the space button on my phone!

Being 1974 vintage, it would require you to use the old Freon based R-13 or whatever vintage sauce they used back then! If you really want A/C, you be better off using something from this century such as Vintage Air that you can actually get stuff for!!

Nice car for your first project though!! Geof

Dealer installed A/C components- They are not Factory a/c parts

Exactly. Look under the dash and see if there aren't holes drilled in it that held the aftermarket AC unit. There will be another big hole in the firewall where the pressure lines were run through, and another hole in the floor where the drain hose ran down. Oh, did I mention that I jerked one of these crappy AC systems out of a slant six Demon two years ago?!?

Photo_041709_008.jpg

My old yellow 318 Barracuda had a dealer installed A/C system in it....

If you have the fender tag look for H51 that is factory air

That's not factory air.

That's an aftermarket receiver/drier coming off of the condenser. The factory receiver drier is in the pass side of the engine compartment...

There was a dealer installed a/c that was a look alike inside the car. The under dash unit looked very much like factory vent assembly. Electrical switches were in the spaces between the grilles. These have resale value too.

-
Back