Can this be fixed ?

-

JohnnyC

Reaction score
Pulled my torque convertor off when I pulled the engine and found the trans shaft worn. I've never had a Mopar trans apart and never rebuilt any automatics, so What I need to know is,What do you think could have caused this? can this be fixed? is it worth it?and what do I need to fix it ?

image.jpeg

I "ain't no expert" might be bell to engine misalignment? What engine / trans combo? IE is this an early "small snout" converter up against a 68/ later engine (crank)?

I "ain't no expert" might be bell to engine misalignment? What engine / trans combo? IE is this an early "small snout" converter up against a 68/ later engine (crank)?
It is originally a 318 /904 car But when I purchased it,It had a 360 magnum with a 318 flexplate and this torque convertor 360 was never run yet with this trans only bolted in.

image.jpeg

That torn up section is a non moving part of the pump housing and it got tore up from a trashed and froze up converter.
Can't remember the exact name of the tube itself but it is part of the pump (stator support maybe?)
Anyway a pump and converter would fix that, but the catch would be where the metal that came off went.
We pretty much know for sure it went other places including the cooler lines, so a complete teardown and inspection would be in order.

Last edited:
That torn up section is a non moving part of the pump housing and it got tore up from a trashed and froze up converter.
Can't remember the exact name of the tube itself but it is part of the pump (stator support maybe?)
Anyway a pump and converter would fix that, but the catch would be where the metal that came off went.
We pretty much know for sure it went other places including the cooler lines, so a complete teardown and inspection would be in order.

That said, excluding the blackened shafts I have seen that shaft look a lot like that normally just from quick machining.
I was afraid that would be the case. I hear they are easy to rebuild so maybe it's time to learn how. But in any event I will need another pump so maybe I'll just look for another trans and rebuild it and keep this one for parts.

I was afraid that would be the case. I hear they are easy to rebuild so maybe it's time to learn how. But in any event I will need another pump so maybe I'll just look for another trans and rebuild it and keep this one for parts.

Might be a good plan. :D

That's the way most of them look. Not sure why. Nothing contacts them there. I guess Ma Mopar was just lazy and didn't machine them good there since nothing contacts it

That's the way most of them look. Not sure why. Nothing contacts them there. I guess Ma Mopar was just lazy and didn't machine them good there since nothing contacts it

You know, I typed that exact phrase out and then deleted it because of that ridge in the shaft.
But you are correct that they kind of seemed to just quit machining, or even just let the machine make big nasty marks in it down there on Fridays. LOL

Now that I look at it again closer, what I thought was just a ridge looks like where the non machined part of the tube starts.

OH, AND if that is the case and the pan shows no glitter to speak of it probably just fried the converter and the trans might be ok.
Sure did burn those shafts though didn't it?

There was metal shavings on the inside of the bell housing. I don't think I'm gonna trust that transmission without tearing into it and inspecting it at the least. I'm temped to put a manual trans in it. I saw another dart with a Dakota V6 trans in it. That sounds like it might be a cool update.

Like stated earlier ur converter is coming apart. U need a new converter and pump stator at the least. But then u know those filings went thru everything so new parts and a rebuild with a thorough cleaning r in order and a very close inspection of all reuseable parts

Looks like normal rough machining. shaving's in side the bell (if it were from internal parts) it would also have alot of fluid with it to make it outside in the bell housing.

-
Back