Can this mirror be refurbished?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't like driving a car that does not have a passenger side mirror. I was looking for one for my 72 Coronet wagon, but it appears these found in the unicorn department. So, let's give a huge shout-out to @Professor Fate ! He saw my wanted ad and dug one out of his stash of mystery parts, and it was free after I paid for the shipping! Thanks Prof!

Finding a mirror is the good news. The bad news is, it's moderately rough. It had no glass but instead a round spot mirror was stuck in it. That was easy to get off. The head is loose to the mounting base but I'm working on getting the screw freed up so I can tighten it down. So far so good. However, the body could really use some help to match the excellent condition of the rest of the car. I've never tried anything like this but figured I'd give it a shot. Here's the starting point.

The back has lots of hazing and little dots on it. Also, just above where it mounts there are several flaked areas in the chrome.

DSCN1819[1].JPG

The base and the top of the mirror head have lots of flaking and pitting.

DSCN1820[1].JPG

DSCN1821[1].JPG

The base has a chip in it.

DSCN1826[1].JPG

How does one repair this? It sure looks to me like a lot more work is needed than just taking it in for a re-chrome.

All the pitting can be repaired EXCEPT what's on the top of the circumference of the mirror body. I think that's too deep. Only way to find out for sure is send it to a rechroming place. The chip I am confident can be repaired......those bad pits, I just don't know. I know a LITTLE about this, because when I was a kid, we used to send bumpers and small parts to Atlanta on the Greyhound bus to get rechromed. There were a few they could not warranty, because the pits were too deep.

It might be more of a cost issue.

I have seen amazing results but the more time it takes the better the outcome the higher the cost.

All the pitting can be repaired EXCEPT what's on the top of the circumference of the mirror body. I think that's too deep. Only way to find out for sure is send it to a rechroming place. The chip I am confident can be repaired......those bad pits, I just don't know. I know a LITTLE about this, because when I was a kid, we used to send bumpers and small parts to Atlanta on the Greyhound bus to get rechromed. There were a few they could not warranty, because the pits were too deep.
I watched a car show several years ago where they took a bunch of stuff to be chromed to the place in Tennessee that several car shows use (Advanced Plating I think). One of the items was a badly pitted pot metal piece. They stripped the chrome off, sanded the part smooth, treated the pits with something to keep them from coming back, copper plated it, fixed the really bad pits with solder, and then copper plate / sand / copper plate / sand... Eventually the part was smooth, but it was a lot of work and probably very expensive.

I watched a car show several years ago where they took a bunch of stuff to be chromed to the place in Tennessee that several car shows use (Advanced Plating I think). One of the items was a badly pitted pot metal piece. They stripped the chrome off, sanded the part smooth, treated the pits with something to keep them from coming back, copper plated it, fixed the really bad pits with solder, and then copper plate / sand / copper plate / sand... Eventually the part was smooth, but it was a lot of work and probably very expensive.
I kinda figured with all the advancements in technology there was a way, but like you say...... $$$$

The E P A does not like chrome plating companys. Prices are only going to go up, as more of these places throw in the towel, cause they can't afford the cost to stay in business under the E P A rules.

ole man Dave

The mirror can be repaired/rechromed, but it must be disassembled first including the mirror too. It is expensive, perhaps $350. Reproduction mirrors are very good and cost about $200.

If rechroming proves to be impractical, you may want to contact @CudaChick1968 and get her recommendations for surface prep- I have seen some powdercoat finishes that are amazingly close to chrome. Fill the chip with JB Weld and file to shape, address the crazing and pits to her recommendations, and send it off to her...?

I don't like driving a car that does not have a passenger side mirror. I was looking for one for my 72 Coronet wagon, but it appears these found in the unicorn department. So, let's give a huge shout-out to @Professor Fate ! He saw my wanted ad and dug one out of his stash of mystery parts, and it was free after I paid for the shipping! Thanks Prof!

Finding a mirror is the good news. The bad news is, it's moderately rough. It had no glass but instead a round spot mirror was stuck in it. That was easy to get off. The head is loose to the mounting base but I'm working on getting the screw freed up so I can tighten it down. So far so good. However, the body could really use some help to match the excellent condition of the rest of the car. I've never tried anything like this but figured I'd give it a shot. Here's the starting point.

The back has lots of hazing and little dots on it. Also, just above where it mounts there are several flaked areas in the chrome.

View attachment 1716118807

View attachment 1716118808

View attachment 1716118809

View attachment 1716118811

How does one repair this? It sure looks to me like a lot more work is needed than just taking it in for a re-chrome.
Uhh, Zack if that mirror was FREE, you got your money's worth on it. Holy crap, man....good thing the man didn't try to charge you for it.
Next time, give me a call or a PM. I have a stash of stuff and know some people that also do. I may have something MUCH better and you know I'd treat you fair.

Uhh, Zack if that mirror was FREE, you got your money's worth on it. Holy crap, man....good thing the man didn't try to charge you for it.
Next time, give me a call or a PM. I have a stash of stuff and know some people that also do. I may have something MUCH better and you know I'd treat you fair.
Hey, I was happy just to find one at all! I'll give you a shout later on. I do have a plan to spruce this one up but a better starting point would be handy.

The only way to find out restoration cost is to contact chrome platers. Most quality chrome platers will only plate parts that have been repaired in house or by some one they trust to maintain their reputation as a plater. Even then after repair, pot metal is never permanently repaired, impurities eventually bubble up. It’s the nature of the material as in pot metal. Everything gets thrown into the “melting pot “.

If rechroming proves to be impractical, you may want to contact @CudaChick1968 and get her recommendations for surface prep- I have seen some powdercoat finishes that are amazingly close to chrome. Fill the chip with JB Weld and file to shape, address the crazing and pits to her recommendations, and send it off to her...?

I appreciate the shout out but prefer to do any repairs myself because few are intimately familiar with the requirements of powder coating.

JB has its uses but usually comes with thousands of air bubble aftereffects if it's not mixed properly.

Pot metal is its own beast when it comes to heating it up. Impurities are expected; it may even have pewter in it with a 140 degree melting point that will destroy the part if it gets too hot. Generally, the thicker the piece the more likely it also had air trapped in it when the piece was formed.

I never encourage anyone to get pot metal coated because the results are too unpredictable, and most especially not experimenting on rare pieces. All I can do is present the facts and allow the customer to make their own decision.

Trim restoration is tedious and time consuming (i.e., $$$$$) no matter what substrate you're working on. Pot metal takes a pro, and an old experienced chrome shop is where I'd start if that was my mirror.

The only way to find out restoration cost is to contact chrome platers. Most quality chrome platers will only plate parts that have been repaired in house or by some one they trust to maintain their reputation as a plater. Even then after repair, pot metal is never permanently repaired, impurities eventually bubble up. It’s the nature of the material as in pot metal. Everything gets thrown into the “melting pot “.
Agreed. I've restored a couple 50's era jukeboxes, and my chrome guy/plater (JR Custom Plating in North Branch, MN) won't touch it if he didn't do the repairs himself.

Also, not sure if this has come up before, but when I've had things chromed/plated, I've always been given options on how nice I want (or expect) it to be. I made the mistake of saying I wanted "show quality chrome" once, and....OUCH!

Kinda like asking a pretty girl to dance, it can't hurt to ask (your plating people).

Hold on to your checkbook. I bet it would cost $500+ to have that one restored. Blistered pot metal is very expensive to restore.

Last edited:
Pot metal = zinc, aluminum, lead, pewter, cadmium, mercury, dirt and other impurities/alloy metals.

If nothing else, smooth it out and spray it body color. Painted mirrors don't look bad if they are done right. I'm considering a switch to painted 70-76 A body Sport mirrors for this car:

00 B 2.JPG

If nothing else, smooth it out and spray it body color. Painted mirrors don't look bad if they are done right.
That's what I plan on doing. Too costly to restore for a nothing special daily driver and repops aren't cheap either.

think I`d sandblast it , fill the bad spots with body putty , sand smooth and paint them body color ...

... except body putty won't stop future delamination or corrosion.
While I’m not sure body putty is the answer or not, before you fill any blisters, you have to dig out all contamination and oxidation before it is filled in. They make special metal alloy filler rod that is melted in like solder. One brand is called muggyweld. The manufacture has how to video on YouTube. That being said most chrome platers will not chrome it if you repaired it yourself.

Do you have a remote mirror on the drivers side? That isn't a match to it if you do.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I had a suspicion re-chroming a pot metal mirror might be prohibitively expensive, and apparently that's the case. The wagon isn't some show queen, it's a driver so I'm not spending a fortune to fix this.

I had a back-up plan, to clean up the mirror, smooth out the surface with either bondo or JB, and try painting it with chrome spray paint. I have another junk chrome mirror I can experiment on. The worst it can do is not work, and I'm not out much but some time and effort.

While I’m not sure body putty is the answer or not, before you fill any blisters, you have to dig out all contamination and oxidation before it is filled in. They make special metal alloy filler rod that is melted in like solder. One brand is called muggyweld.

Good info, I'll check it out - thanks!

Do you have a remote mirror on the drivers side? That isn't a match to it if you do.

Yes, the driver side is remote. The one I got for the passenger side is manual, but it is the correct mirror.

I'll post more info as I go down this trail to see how this pans out.

-
Back