can you block off the power steering box?

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I finally got the 5.9 into the Demon with the steering box and headers, and now I'm onto the steering box. I really don't want to run a steering pump. Can you just stick some pipe plugs into the inlet and outlet, or does something else have to be done?

get in the car and just shake steering wheel back and forth....you will notice 3 inches or so of play in steering wheel....it will handle like crap....ask me how I know LOL.....not sure if the pressure from pump takes up the slack or what it is.....if you want it to steer right go manual or you will have to hook up the pump.....jst my 2 cents....I had 2 a-bodies it was the same.....

I finally got the 5.9 into the Demon with the steering box and headers, and now I'm onto the steering box. I really don't want to run a steering pump. Can you just stick some pipe plugs into the inlet and outlet, or does something else have to be done?

Get a manual steering box. Power steering gearboxes are designed to work along with a pump. Running a manual box will allow you to remove the accessory drive belt/pump and will create a little more room. You will need a power-to-manual steering adapter for the column, unless you have a manual steering column you can use. There are a few different sources for manual boxes and adapters.

Ever drive a power steering car that has no fluid? It's tougher than driving a car with a manual steering gear. I actually did it the other day at work, a Lumina had a PS leak in a pressure line, pulling it into the bay was a ***** it was like wrestling with a very strong opponent.

I hear what you're saying, but to be honest, I don't have ANY money for a manual box, nor do I have the will to remove the steering box now that the headers completely block the mounting bolts. I have driven my Demon when it had a pump but without fluid, it wasn't that bad.

I was thinking that since the entire thing squirts fluid when you go back and forth, that I'd fab up a line that goes from outlet to inlet so the fluid would just be shot back into the steering box.

Yes you should loop the lines and keep fluid in it and yes it will be very hard to steer, especially when still and slow manuvering.

If you don't have the money to do this correctly, do not drive the car until you can. This is a safety issue.

Please don't endanger the lives of innocent motorists.

There has to be some one here that will sell you a box for cheap. That don't sound safe at all. LOL

Do what Redfish says until you decide what you want to do re power or manual. At least it will build strong muscles.....LOL:naka:

A rack & pinion style car is virtually impossible to steer without fluid, but not the case with a steering box.

It's not a safety issue, just a PITA to steer.

Not only is it unsafe, you will be ruining a perfectly good power steering box. Sounds like something a Chevy guy would do. You will not have full control of your vehicle, especially during quick evasive maneuvers. That's when the steering refuses to move. Hit a coal truck head on because of that once. Not fun.

well.....if any of you guys do have a couple manual steering boxes on the cheap, I could use one too!

If you don't have the money to do this correctly, do not drive the car until you can. This is a safety issue.

Please don't endanger the lives of innocent motorists.

Like I said, I've driven it before with no fluid. For a long time. It really isn't that bad. There is no plans to remove the motor again to put in a manual box. Were that my only option, I'll just buy the damn steering pump.

my 68 dart came to me with a power steering box and no pump anywhere to be found. i drove it with no pumpm no -plugs, or no special line connecting the two ends for several years before doing anything different.

it handled just fine for me.

the fluid also lubricates your box, do it long enough without it and you will cause irreperable harm to your box..

i finally hooked a pump up and the box leaked like ... like... really really bad.

I know have manual.

so, recap, you can do it, but save money for a swap later.

I hear what you're saying, but to be honest, I don't have ANY money for a manual box, nor do I have the will to remove the steering box now that the headers completely block the mounting bolts. I have driven my Demon when it had a pump but without fluid, it wasn't that bad.

I was thinking that since the entire thing squirts fluid when you go back and forth, that I'd fab up a line that goes from outlet to inlet so the fluid would just be shot back into the steering box.

So let me see......You don't have any money for a manual box,but you can buy a pump and lines? You fought with headers etc,before you knew what you wanted to do with the steering ? You already know what it'll drive like,but you ask if it'll be OK??? If it were me I'd put a manual box on it or do the power the right way.....Then step back and get a plan together for the rest of the car to save time,money and frustration!!!!!

The gear ratio in these boxes is ridiculously high. Would it really be that hard to steer? Isn't it like 23:1 or something?

Having just swapped from power to manual (but not driving yet), I think its a pretty positive swap. My car lost almost 40 lbs, and there's a lot more room in the engine compartment on that side. Also no pump to leak all over everything.

Steve

Like I said, I've driven it before with no fluid. For a long time. It really isn't that bad. There is no plans to remove the motor again to put in a manual box. Were that my only option, I'll just buy the damn steering pump.

IT SEEMS TO ME, THAT YOUR LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO AGREE WITH YOU. OK, I AGREE WITH YOU. BUT I WOULDN'T DO IT IF IT WAS MY CAR. BUT I AGREE WITH YOU.

wont pass inspection in tx. and it IS a safety issue.Whatever you do now thats jake rigged will be something that irritates you till you do it right. If that 5.9 has any umph youre gonna wish you had adequate steering when it gets out of shape. I drove my just paid off truck on tires i knew needed to be replaced and had to replace a truck.If its worth doing its worth doing right. Your Demon deserves better.

I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I was kind of looking for someone to agree with me at first, but then quickly remembered the old adage 'do it right or not at all.' I will just purchase a small-block pump, bracket, and lines. It shouldn't be over $100. Anyone have a bracket for sale?

I wish someone agreed with you, now I gotta do it the right way too.:disgust:

Do what Redfish says until you decide what you want to do re power or manual. At least it will build strong muscles.....LOL:naka:

A rack & pinion style car is virtually impossible to steer without fluid, but not the case with a steering box.

That's terrible advice. It is a safety issue. No car should be driven this way. Someone said it's harder than driving a manual - yeah, about 4 times as hard. If you ever had to make an avoidance maneuver ... oy, I don't want to think about it.

I had a hole in the pressure line on my 85 Shelby Charger, spraying fluid on the exhaust so I cut the belt off, and raced (3/8 mile dirt circle track)and didn't really notice much difference.

to the OP, do you still need the power stuff? i might be able to work a deal with you if it can wait untill monday.

-
Back