Can you "fix" a bad top install?

-

Al T

Reaction score
I recently bought a '68 Barracuda convertible that the previous owner did a home top install that did not end well. Is it possible to undo the mistakes that were made around the rear well? All the research I've done regarding installing a top, where the issue is is typically where the layout and installation begins. Looking at the attached photos, would I be able to remove the strip and staples and realign and restaple this area, hopefully tightening it up, or does the entire top need to come off. If it did, is it salvageable?
You can kind of see in the first photo there is approximately a 3/8" gap between the seam on the side curtain and the edge of the window section that the side curtain should cover. It looks like the window section needs to be "stretched" across the back and then the side curtain sections need to be pulled further around the back. Can this be done without unattaching it from the rear bow?
From the rear bow forward the top looks fine.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Allan

Last edited:
I recently bought a '68 Barracuda convertible that the previous owner did a home top install that did not end well. Is it possible to undo the mistakes that were made around the rear well? All the research I've done regarding installing a top, where the issue is is typically where the layout and installation begins. Looking at the attached photos, would I be able to remove the strip and staples and realign and restaple this area, hopefully tightening it up, or does the entire top need to come off. If it did, is it salvageable?
You can kind of see in the first photo there is approximately a 3/8" gap between the seam on the side curtain and the edge of the window section that the side curtain should cover. It looks like the window section needs to be "stretched" across the back and then the side curtain sections need to be pulled further around the back. Can this be done without unattaching it from the rear bow?

Allan

Installing convertible tops is an art. I paid a seasoned professional to install a German Canvas top with a glass rear window on my car. The factory vinyl and plastic rear windows only look good when the top is down and under a parade boot. He too had to loosen the rear locking stip to get out the last of a few wrinkles. The end result is a thing of beauty. I would never have been able to do as nice of a job. It is at least worth a try if you have that skill set. It is beyond me.

I have done three tops in my past, not a professional. Each one better than the last. Yes, take it apart. Looks like he started at the front then worked back. All the manuals I have read state start at the rear window and work forward. Get a manual. Also looks like there might need some top adjustments. Make sure the frame is in good working order. Pulling the vinyl and stretching it is the only way to get the wrinkles out. They wont shrink in the sun. I have seen some people use a spring stapler on the rear bow/window. This will not hold up in the long term. You will need an air stapler with stainless staples. If not rust stains will run from the seam. Good luck and take your time. Your biggest drawback is you don't have extra material to have to work with, its been cut off.

Funny. I'm in STL right now. Actually spend a lot of time here. With your experience, I wish the car was here as well. lol

Allan

It is a shame the car is t here in STL. I have a guy that works with e that spent 20 years installing tops and am sure I could have convinced him to straighten it out for you. I will ask him to chime in on Friday on your best way to tackle it.

Do you have the 2 little wire thingies back there ? These were added for fold control and/or prevent top damage. I ask because we don't know the full history. The top may have been damaged and sectioned / repaired. Purposely left loose ? Good luck with it.

Do you have the 2 little wire thingies back there ? These were added for fold control and/or prevent top damage. I ask because we don't know the full history. The top may have been damaged and sectioned / repaired. Purposely left loose ? Good luck with it.

I don't know the full history either. lol
I'll have to check when I get back home early next week.
You're talking about the side tension cables? Thinking about it I got a container of bolts and misc. with the car that when I sorted through there was one cable in it that I thought was for that. It was around 8" long.
Where do I check for them on the top.

Allan

The pieces I mentioned are more like a finger shaped loop of coat hanger wire attached at 2 screws.

Installing convertible tops is an art. I paid a seasoned professional to install a German Canvas top with a glass rear window on my car. The factory vinyl and plastic rear windows only look good when the top is down and under a parade boot. He too had to loosen the rear locking stip to get out the last of a few wrinkles. The end result is a thing of beauty. I would never have been able to do as nice of a job. It is at least worth a try if you have that skill set. It is beyond me.

If you have a 67-69 A-body it left the factory with a glass rear window. They all did. If you have an earlier A-body, the rear window was plastic.

I was under the understanding a '67 had a glass back window, '68 and '69 were plastic?

Allan

To your original question. If you know any decent upholster you might just ask what they think, I did not do the 69 but I have installed a top on a 65, although slightly different in process what I can tell you is sometimes trying to fix something like that without experience can make it worse. But I also understand the want to do it yourself as I know a complete top and install is in the 1000 range for a decent job. I have a 68 service manual at home I will see if I can find any information for you this evening and post pictures of the pages.

I was under the understanding a '67 had a glass back window, '68 and '69 were plastic?

Allan

Nope, EVERY Chrysler product convertible from 1967 on had a glass back window EXCEPT the early K-car convertibles as they were farmed out. The pattern on the top vinyl was different in 1967, though.

Allan

it look like he/they put the rear curtain OVER the tack strip instead of under it. that will help cause wrinkles. (first step would be to remove the screws of the rear section of the top and then fix the rear curtain(rear plastic window)) once that is straightened out and put under the metal tack strip then you have a shot and fixing those wrinkles. the hard part is mostly done and yes it's going to be a bit harder since they cut the material. Go to this link for a quicky top install guide with pictures. It shows the tack strip and how the window mounts. the sides are just pulled the wrong way and need to be pulled correctly into position. it will be a pain(and take a bit of time) since you don't have extra material, BUT you CAN get most of the wrinkles out if not all.
good picture tutorial for the beginner .
Barracuda Convertible Top Installment - Mopar Muscle

image.jpg
The tension cables run from the front to back along the side rails. Think it att he's to the lower rear section. They are 4-5' long

The small wires are to push the sail panel out when lowering the top.
This picture is from the TSB for convertible top on my dart. Not sure if they used it on the barracuda.

Not sure if you could get that top smooth. One reason to use a pro, to get good results. Had a guy put one on my 67 Coronet convertible and he damaged my new top and caused a lift cylinder to start leaking due to the poor install, or it might have started leaking cause it was old, but I like to blame the guy that did the poor job. My Dart had someone that knew what he was doing and it looked perfect, but he didn't use the bow wires and it wore a hole in the top in 6 months.

Back home from STL and spent some time on the top today. The top cylinder was in the mail so I got the old cylinder out, the new cylinder in and the system bled. Top works great now.
I took some photos of the top install. The driver's side curtain (if that's what you call it) definitely isn't installed properly :0

I took some more photos of the inside of the install. I guess I need to remove the convertible well mounting strip and then the tack strip under that?

I really appreciate all the comments and advice.

Allan

Last edited:
Back home from STL and spent some time on the top today. The top cylinder was in the mail so I got the old cylinder out, the new cylinder in and the system bled. Top works great now.
I took some photos of the top install. The driver's side curtain (if that's what you call it) definitely isn't installed properly :0

I took some more photos of the inside of the install. I guess I need to remove the convertible well mounting strip and then the tack strip under that?

I really appreciate all the comments and advice.

Allan
Thanks for sharing I have the same problem wrinkle areas. Good tips. Thank you and my 69 Vert. thanks you.

With all the feedback I've received on fixing this, the common theme was to have a powered stapler and stainless staples. I ordered a pneumatic stapler and staples today. Once they arrive I'll try to fix the issues with the top. I actually don't think It's going to be that bad to repair. I was fooling around with the driver's side this evening.

..... and with a little pull in the right direction.

Once I've got the staples removed, I'm optimistic this may turn out OK.

Allan

I had to remove a zillion staples from the tacking strips when I put in a new rear curtain, most of them did not come out without breaking, and each end had to be worked out with a dull pair of nippers.
It would have been impossible to find any open spaces put in new staples otherwise.
No one before me had ever bothered to take the time and effort.
I was too poor to buy new tacking strips at the time,

-
Back