Can You Help A Girl Out?

-
Like everybody is saying: Get rid of the glass filter!
I have used the Hastings GF2/ Napa 3002/ Wix 33002/ Purolator F20011/ Fram G2 clear plastic filters forever with zero issues.

Later,
Bruce B.

I don't want to pee in your Cheerios but DO NOT RUN THAT FILTER!!!!! You are better off with the plastic one or better yet just get one of the all metal ones (4 bucks). The glass ones are not allowed at drag strips because if the glass cracks or shatters you will be pumping fuel everywhere.

ok...there's no pee in my cheerio's...it's all good! I do not have this one...just was looking. Is there a specific one you recommend?

(not plastic, not glass(completely understand that) or maybe the $4.00 metal ones. I didn't realize there were so many options. :-D

Bea,you should have asked the radiator shop for an estimate to recore/replace the heater core. When I had my 62 valiant I couldn't find a new replacement/ the shop ordered the tank portion and soldered my ends to the new (core) .worked great--the car is still motoring along today!!

Hopefully your secret mechanic can fix you up--- one guy in particular is pretty much an expert on these engines. Lawrence

Bea,you should have asked the radiator shop for an estimate to recore/replace the heater core. When I had my 62 valiant I couldn't find a new replacement/ the shop ordered the tank portion and soldered my ends to the new (core) .worked great--the car is still motoring along today!!

Hopefully your secret mechanic can fix you up--- one guy in particular is pretty much an expert on these engines. Lawrence

The radiator shop did offered to recore/replace the heater core...just doing the bypass...until I can get back in there. I saved all of the original hoses, but used a different hose on for the bypass. All worked out great!

I was intouch with my "secret" mechanic...LOL...but I could not go today because I have been running a fever & cold since last night...YUCK! Don't want to get anyone else sick. :sad5:

Like everybody is saying: Get rid of the glass filter!
I have used the Hastings GF2/ Napa 3002/ Wix 33002/ Purolator F20011/ Fram G2 clear plastic filters forever with zero issues.

Later,
Bruce B.

I don't have a glass filter...I have the plastic one only. Thanks :-D

Hey Bea!! Noticed the rubber fuel line used for the carb throttle linkage bushing--- get a new correct on ebay---
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60-6...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It will hold the throttle rod securely at the carb, this is from 1st hand experience-- good $10 investment. Keep the pics coming & work on the car-- now if you & SSDan can ever get your cars together for a picnic-- that would make an avatar picture. Lawrence

Thanks again for all the great responses! Here's the deal...About 2 weeks ago I replaced the exhaust manifold (old one was cracked in 1/2) cleaned everything really, really good, installed exhaust manifold, replaced thermostat & gasket, cleaned carburetor...it seems to be running hot about 2 to 3 miles down the road. Have some good info on flushing the radiator, etc. Just can't figure why it runs at 3/4 of the way "H" on the gauge...still!

Here's the pics of the work I've done so far myself & a funny one just for sh*ts & giggles...just giving a whole new meaning of "Putting A Little A** Behind It!" * yes...I was working in my P.J.'s (comfy)! :coffee2:

you had the best profile pic around, why did you change it?

Hey Bea!! Noticed the rubber fuel line used for the carb throttle linkage bushing--- get a new correct on ebay---
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60-6...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It will hold the throttle rod securely at the carb, this is from 1st hand experience-- good $10 investment. Keep the pics coming & work on the car-- now if you & SSDan can ever get your cars together for a picnic-- that would make an avatar picture. Lawrence

Thanks for the advice...bought one & it will be here this week! Yes, Dan & I have twin cars...crazy, huh? Maybe we can photoshop them together...that would be cool.

Attachments

• hard rubber insulator.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 328
Just wondering if you have had a chance for the mystery mechanic to make a diagnosis?

Not yet...I have been soooooooo sick with the cold & fever...6 days later & just now feeling better. That stuff kicked my butt! I will be getting with him very soon, didn't want to make him sick, too. Will keep you updated & thanks for asking! :flower:

WOW! As I finished typing this message...he called and I'm going to have her looked at in a few hours...YEAH!

Well, I just got back from the "Secret Mechanics" place & WOW...what a place! It was a great experience and learned a few things in the process!
He took a look at Bea and did some adjusting on the idle, replaced the stove, car running just fine, no overheating, just need to have it scoped for a possible cylinder leaking, burnt valve, valve compression, etc... need to replace the valve cover gasket and replace the rubber spark plug seals. Overall, all is good and said...just drive it!

THANK YOU ROSCOE!

p.s. the Secret Mechanic is none other than....Roscoe!

Attachments

• RoscoeSign%20Blank.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 234
Just want to say thank you ALL for the advice and help...it is much appreciated & I think you ALL are great!

looking at you pictures, i see a fairly new water pump .was this replace due to leaking ,or replaced before over heating happen?i have seen a few after market water pumps where inpeller came off or put on backwards cause no or reversed flow,witch can cause over heating very quickly.

Sorry for the late reply...Yes, the water pump was replaced on 04/18/10 due to leaking. I will double check on how it was installed and the inpeller issue.

Well, I just got back from the "Secret Mechanics" place & WOW...what a place! It was a great experience and learned a few things in the process!
He took a look at Bea and did some adjusting on the idle, replaced the stove, car running just fine, no overheating, just need to have it scoped for a possible cylinder leaking, burnt valve, valve compression, etc... need to replace the valve cover gasket and replace the rubber spark plug seals. Overall, all is good and said...just drive it!

THANK YOU ROSCOE!

p.s. the Secret Mechanic is none other than....Roscoe!

This is great news Bea! How strange it's not overheating now??? Maybe Roscoe did a bit of a tune-up and some timing adjustments.

Glad the Lancer is running and that it supports you daily driving needs without fail!

Also a rouns of applause for the "mystey mechanic" Roscoe! People like him are what makes this sight GREAT!!!!!!!!

This is great news Bea! How strange it's not overheating now??? Maybe Roscoe did a bit of a tune-up and some timing adjustments.

Glad the Lancer is running and that it supports you daily driving needs without fail!

Also a rouns of applause for the "mystey mechanic" Roscoe! People like him are what makes this sight GREAT!!!!!!!!

Yes...I'm very thankful Damsel! (got the Damsel part from CudaChick & me likes it!) Now, I'm moving on to the Valve Cover & Blow Back! I'll be working on that today. Let's see what will I need?
Just need a little :coffee2: + :rock: = :thumbup: Get'r Dun!

Love the avatar pic...much better than a chick posing next to a car who can't tell the difference between a cam and a crank. ;-)

Love the avatar pic...much better than a chick posing next to a car who can't tell the difference between a cam and a crank. ;-)

Nope...not that kinda gal! But, here's where I got my inspiration from and I will be taking care of Bea, just like she takes care of her car!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc5NxtoGAQ"]YouTube - 557,000 Miles and Counting (She's 90; Her Car's 45; Both Are Still On The Road)[/ame]

p.s. just ignore the news people at the end...they are a bunch of 'tards!

-
Back