Can you identify these?

-

abqphilbert

Reaction score
OK, I know, I should have taken better notes, or more pics . . . or both.

I took the car (1967 Dart 270 two door hardtop) apart four years ago, and I've slept since then. Fortunately, I remembered where enough of the parts went to successfully get most of the car appropriately rebuilt, modified, reassembled, etc. to get it on the road. I still have a lot of work to do on the interior though. I found these four (large - about 1" wide, and a little longer) clips in one of my bags o' parts, and can't recall removing them - so I have no idea what they are or where they go. They look expensive, though, so I'm guessing I'll be glad I don't have to replace them. Ha Ha.

Does anybody out there know what they are? Since they were in a box with some other rear quarter window parts, my best guess is that they have something to do with the upper filler trim panels for the quarter window, but I can't see where they fit.

A little help here?
Thanks.

Attachments

• mystery clip.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 518
If I'm not mistaken they are for under the dash to hold part of the harness wires up from hanging that make there way across the dash, just under the ash tray.

these may be trim clips but let me offer another thought. my 68 barracuda uses similar clips like these to hold the heater and vent cables to the heater control unit. your clips are not designed like the ones used on a 68 barracuda, however, they do look like the heater/vent cables would fit on one side of these clips. try to squeze these clips together like they were "snapping" into a panel and that might give you a clue as to where they go. also, spring clips like these either "snap" into a hole or they "snap" over top of a piece of metal.

i will say that i would have never been able to identify the heater control clips on my barracuda if they were laying in a box. fortunately, i have a complete parts car that i often use as a reference and that was how i identified the odd black spring clips that were holding the vent/heater cables onto the heater controls.

good luck

Thanks for the input. So far though, it's still a mystery. I have all of the clips for the heater cables. These clips are much bigger than those. They're about the largest "trim" clips I've ever seen in many years of working on cars.

I noticed there are two different styles, two each. One end of each clip looks like it clips onto something (metal?), while the other end is a spring onto which something would snap into place. The "clip" end is wider on one clip and narrower (tighter) on the other clip. Both of the "retainer" ends are the same.

I took thousands of pics of this project from the beginning, partly because it's just fun, and I like having the before & after shots. Unfortunately, somehow, I missed capturing any details on this one part.

I did restoration work on early Porsches for many years, and when I went to the vintage Porsche shows, somebody always had a contest with a bunch of odd parts. Anyone could try to identify as many of the parts as they were able to, and the winner got some cool prizes.

Maybe this mystery could be the start of something. Since I've put all of my "disposable income" into my car for the last four years, all I have to offer the winner right now would be some used Dart Parts. Ha Ha!

Thanks again for the input.

Attachments

• two different styles.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 353
Total guess here, but the "thin" hooked part/end sure looks like it "clips/hooks" over sheet metal?? Maybe they come from in behind the interior panels by the rear quarter windows??

I think the one on the far right goes in the glovebox somewhere.And the bottom one too. The top left may go on the heaterbox somewhere to retain the wire for the heater motor, I think. Does the last one clip onto the back of the ashtray? I dunno, its been a while.

Thanks again to all for your input. On your suggestion, here are a couple more pics, different angles, with the tape measure for reference.

I've checked all of the different areas that have been suggested, but so far, no luck. All retainers around glove box, heater cables, controls - are in place and secure. I have the armrests - although they aren't installed yet, and it looks like all of the correct hardware is already in place. I have both the 1967 Mopar parts catalog and the 1967 Dart service manual & can't locate these parts anywhere.

I do remember handling them when I took the car apart, bagging them, and putting them in a box, otherwise, I'd think some odd parts that don't belong anywhere on the car got mixed in with my car parts.

I just got the new door panels and quarter interior trim panels I had ordered and will be installing them this weekend. Maybe during that process, I'll have a "eureka moment" and see where they go. I'll be sure and post it if I do figure out where they go.

I guess if I have (only) four clips left over after rebuilding a car, they probably weren't very important anyway. Ha Ha.

Attachments

• 1 more clip pic.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 2 more clip pics.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 3 more clip pics.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 324
And, I did have the headliner out but helped with the replacement. The retainers for the bows are similar, but different - and they're all accounted-for and installed . . .

I'm still thinking these go in the rear quarter window area, but I've looked it over and don't see any obvious place for this type of retainer. Maybe this weekend, when I'm installing the new panels I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

They clip on a metal edge and then a piece of trim or panel pops in the other end, like the top of a door panel?

To pete9857. Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking . . . maybe on the upper filler panel covering the interior quarter area - the metal panel that the "fuzzy strip" attaches to. Looking at the filler panels and the quarter window area, nothing looks obvious, but I'll be fitting and installing these parts this weekend. I just got all my new interior panels, so I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this mystery. I've been driving the car now for several months. It's really fun and easy to drive, and have put almost 4,000 miles on it, with nothing but two old worn-out bucket seats on the interior - no new seat covers, no interior trim panels, etc. By next week, it'll have all the interior in, new panels, seat covers and so forth.

what a bout clips to hold the rod that activates the door lock & striker area. I've never seen a clip like that-- but I've not dismantled any 67 darts either.
Lawrence

Are your 1/4 windows installed? I don't recall these on my 69 in the 1/4 window area, but 67 could and I wouldn't doubt, be different.

Quarter windows are installed, yes. Hmmm . . . package tray, no. I have a new one still in the box, scheduled for installation with other interior trim panels this weekend.

interior trim clips for over the window to hold the trim that finishes the edge of the head liner.
Andrew

Well, I installed the rear interior quarter trim panels this weekend. I didn't see any place or any way these clips could be a part of that assembly, or the package tray
assembly either. I'm thinking blue missile is correct and these are part of the roof rail assembly. I did not have any "extra" time to disassemble that this weekend. They're all assembled for now, right or wrong.

I did research this, but could not find any additional information or images on the roof rails. I did find another thread posted a couple of years ago from member 69Dart4me asking for help or advice on how to install the clips for his roof rails.

Evidently, he had some clips he knew were part of that assembly, but couldn't figure out how to install them. I'm hoping to find a little more information on this before I go to the trouble of disassembling my roof rails. Even if these clips belong in there somewhere, they fit ok for now. There were no replies posted to 69Dart4me's thread, so I emailed him some questions, but haven't received any replies yet.

If anyone out there (blue missile?) knows how these clips fit as part of the roof rails, please send more info.

Thanks again folks.

-
Back