Can you tell me what tranny this would have?

-

73_Dart

Reaction score
I may have found a 318 for my car. It is from a 1976 plymouth scamp, and I need to know what transmission it has. Would it have the 904 or the 727. I dont have any numbers, and I havent even looked at it yet.
Is there any way to tell, without numbers?

trans%20pans%20difference.jpg

Im waiting on a message from the guy. I have not looked at it yet. If it is a 904, will I have to change my drive shaft length? I have a 225/904 now in my car.

The guy messaged me back, but didnt say what transmission it has.
Do you guys think $200 is fair for this motor and tranny. It needs the wires and stuff put back on, but is all there. Says it ran good when pulled. He was going to put it in a 72 scamp, but decide he is going a different way. It has 95,000 miles on it.

a 318 and a auto trans is deff worth 200 any day, just make sure the motor is not shot even if the trans is toast a good rebuildable 318 V8 is worth the 200 deff

Okay. He emailed me back, but he doesnt know what tranny it has. So I sent him the picture you guys gave me and asked him if he can tell. It also needs exhaust manifolds.
Do any of you have a cheap set of exhaust manifolds/headers for cheap? I may need them if I can get this motor.

Just remember an important question. When they say it ran good when pulled, that might mean it was pulled in 1987 :)

Grant

It was just pulled last year. Out of a 76 scamp. He was gonna put it into his 72 scamp, but hes moving and has different plans for the car now. So he wants to get rid of it.
If you guys have anything you think I should ask him let me know.
Still need to know if the driveshaft needs to be switched with the 318/904 combo, I think it does if it is a 318/727 combo. He said he will look at the tranny pan and let me know what it is. He said he may go lower on the price. :) That is a good thing since I still got some stuff to buy to put the motor in.

It was just pulled last year. Out of a 76 scamp. He was gonna put it into his 72 scamp, but hes moving and has different plans for the car now. So he wants to get rid of it.
If you guys have anything you think I should ask him let me know.
Still need to know if the driveshaft needs to be switched with the 318/904 combo, I think it does if it is a 318/727 combo. He said he will look at the tranny pan and let me know what it is. He said he may go lower on the price. :) That is a good thing since I still got some stuff to buy to put the motor in.
just have him throw the drive shaft in too, but doesn't mean the u-joint will fit your rear end though

I dont know if he has the drive shaft. I will ask him if I get to go look at it. Hopefully it is a good motor and tranny that I can get for cheap to put in my car.

036-9x
That is the number that he gave me that he said is on the tranny. I dont know if it will help you guys or not. He told me I could have the motor and tranny for $150. I am really wanting to get this motor but would like to know what tranny it has first.

The I.D. number is on the drivers' side pan rail. 7 digits long. If you're pulling out a slant 6/904 and replacing it with a 318/904, the driveshaft doesn't need to be changed.

Easy to tell a 904/ 727. Look at the PASSENGER side of the pan rail. The bulge gives you a 727, if it's pretty much "straight sided" it's a 904

727 "bulge":

129_0608_10_z+automatic_transmission+torqueflite_727.jpg

Bottom view of a 904, no bulge:

Tf904b.jpg

I dont have a picture of the bottom of the tranny. But from the side picture it looks like it is a 904. It doesnt look like it has the bulge. I will just have to wait and see if i get to go look at it.

If for some reason you have any issues with the tranny, I have a good 904 here still in my car, I can let you have reasonable.
Also I have plenty of driveshafts if you run into any length trouble.
I might have a set of exhaust manifolds.
I also have a unsused set of headers.
PM me.

-
Back