Canning anyone ??

-

kazooom

Reaction score
Have the hot peppers from the garden done and now the dill pickles. Tomorrow will be pickled eggs day. what else can I can. My wife's aunt did corn on the cob... what are you storing for the winter months

And it will be mighty tasty when you pop open a jar in February. I need to do more. I froze some asparagus and green beans. I still have some dried jalapenos from last year.

Dills anyone !!

How do your dills turn out? We just can't seem to find a recipe that we like. Care to share yours?

We pickled Hungarian peppers, beets, chow, bread and butters that all turned out great. The dills left something to be desired though.

I also bottle moose, beef, trout salmon and peaches.

I also make a few different kinds of sausage.

Jack

We canned green beans, yellow beans, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, chard. Made blueberry and raspberry jam. Had a bumper crop of apples. Put up apple sauce, apple butter and apple pie filling. Maple syrup last season. WE have a large family and we are on a fixed income so we do this in lieu of holiday gifts. Works out great.

We have put up corn before. On the cob is too easy but takes up too much space in the freezer too. All we do now is a green relish we call chow chow. 36 quarts every 2 years.

Dills anyone !!

I had a recipe for dill pickles by the quart. Every quart was a little different and was a great recipe for small gardens. I can't find the recipe though. I should Google it.

How do your dills turn out? We just can't seem to find a recipe that we like. Care to share yours?

Jack

Don't know if you are into fermented foods or not, but this year we did honest to goodness sour fermented pickles. Far and away the BEST dills I've ever had.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

I use a Nick Schmidt fermenting crock, bout you can use food grade buckets. Also to keep them crunchy use grape leaves. We did some with and some without. The ones with the grape leaves we the best. Good crunch, tangy and good for your gut as all fermented veggies are.

Don't know if you are into fermented foods or not, but this year we did honest to goodness sour fermented pickles. Far and away the BEST dills I've ever had.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

I use a Nick Schmidt fermenting crock, bout you can use food grade buckets. Also to keep them crunchy use grape leaves. We did some with and some without. The ones with the grape leaves we the best. Good crunch, tangy and good for your gut as all fermented veggies are.

Don't know if the wife will go for that one, but it looks interesting.

Jack

I haven't canned in a long time.I miss it.Grocery stores have crap full of gma's and bug killer

Just finished 36 qt of tomato juice, also do beef, pork chicken, corned beef, and ham. Buy the way have you ever tried Tattler reusable canning lids? I've been using them for the last 5 or 6 years. Some I've used 8 times and they are still going strong.

Nothing fancy with these dill's... 50/50 water and white vinegar and pickling (coarse) salt and some chili powder. Used quarter jars with dill weed and a clove or two of garlic on the bottom and the top. Jamb in the cucumber spears filling as much space as possible and pour the brine in. Insert a plastic knife and run it around the sides to get air bubbles out. Put on the lids and process in the canner for 10 minutes. The grape leaf on the top of the pickles before you can them is a good idea, but I waited to long and could not find any around here.... now I sit back and wait two weeks.

cheers... Derrick :thumbrig:

We can dill pickles every year. Well I should say for the past 2 years, since we have finally gotten a house and land to have a garden on. Our problem is we always have way more than we can eat.

Have the hot peppers from the garden done and now the dill pickles. Tomorrow will be pickled eggs day. what else can I can. My wife's aunt did corn on the cob... what are you storing for the winter months

No canners in last 2 generations of my family, but a long time ago my great aunt made Icicle Pickles, I would love to have that taste again. They take daily tending but everyone loved them.

Nothing fancy with these dill's... 50/50 water and white vinegar and pickling (coarse) salt and some chili powder. Used quarter jars with dill weed and a clove or two of garlic on the bottom and the top. Jamb in the cucumber spears filling as much space as possible and pour the brine in. Insert a plastic knife and run it around the sides to get air bubbles out. Put on the lids and process in the canner for 10 minutes. The grape leaf on the top of the pickles before you can them is a good idea, but I waited to long and could not find any around here.... now I sit back and wait two weeks.

cheers... Derrick :thumbrig:

Those are whats in the recipe, but what are the measurements?

Jack

care to share how you do your sauerkraut .

It is serendipity. I am making a batch today so I posted pics too :)

The recipe I use is:

-3 TBS of Kosher Salt, Per every 5 lbs. of Chopped Cabbage
-Mix Salt and Cabbage, Pound down and pack in Crock.
-If the cabbage doesn't make enough of it's own juice make 1 qt. brine (1 qt. water, 1.5 TBS Salt)
-Add brine
-Put a few large leaves over the top and weighted down with stones.
-Let ferment for about 1-2 months. Keep at 65-70 ish degrees.
-Test it occasionally and when you like the flavor, pack in clean quart jars and keep in the fridge.

Don't use Iodized salt. You will ruin your Kraut.

Keep all the cabbage under brine at all times. If scum forms on the top of the brine, that is okay. Just scrape it off. It won't hurt the cabbage/kraut underneath.

Again, I use a Nik Schmitd 5 Liter fermenting crock. If you don't have a crock don't let this stop you! Go get a food grade bucket. I get mine from the grocery store bakery. They get frosting in them and give them to me for free when they are empty.

Follow the recipe above and weigh the cabbage down under the brine with a dinner plate with a weight on top. for a weight I used to use a mason jar filled with water. just lay the lid on the bucket but don't snap it down so the fermenting gas can escape. It'll start to smell like kraut pretty quick.

Here are pics from today's batch.

Best,

CE

Attachments

• DSCN8248.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN8249.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN8250.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN8251.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 127
My wife does some canning mainly Beets..........I hate beets but hell i eat em cause i love er. Some dills, saurkraut (favorite), sweet pickles and of course some good old eye watering Horseradish.......Mmmmmmmmmmmm

It is serendipity. I am making a batch today so I posted pics too :)

The recipe I use is:

-3 TBS of Kosher Salt, Per every 5 lbs. of Chopped Cabbage
-Mix Salt and Cabbage, Pound down and pack in Crock.
-If the cabbage doesn't make enough of it's own juice make 1 qt. brine (1 qt. water, 1.5 TBS Salt)
-Add brine
-Put a few large leaves over the top and weighted down with stones.
-Let ferment for about 1-2 months. Keep at 65-70 ish degrees.
-Test it occasionally and when you like the flavor, pack in clean quart jars and keep in the fridge.

Don't use Iodized salt. You will ruin your Kraut.

Keep all the cabbage under brine at all times. If scum forms on the top of the brine, that is okay. Just scrape it off. It won't hurt the cabbage/kraut underneath.

Again, I use a Nik Schmitd 5 Liter fermenting crock. If you don't have a crock don't let this stop you! Go get a food grade bucket. I get mine from the grocery store bakery. They get frosting in them and give them to me for free when they are empty.

Follow the recipe above and weigh the cabbage down under the brine with a dinner plate with a weight on top. for a weight I used to use a mason jar filled with water. just lay the lid on the bucket but don't snap it down so the fermenting gas can escape. It'll start to smell like kraut pretty quick.

Here are pics from today's batch.

Best,

CE

thanks for taking the time to write this out I will try this .

Those are whats in the recipe, but what are the measurements?

Jack

Sorry Jack... I used 4 cups of water and 4 cups of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of pickling salt and 2 tbs. of chili powder. I put 1 head (4") of dill weed and a clove a garlic on the bottom of each jar and a little of dill weed and another clove of garlic on the top... grape leaf on the top of this for extra crunchie would be best too... this made 6 quarts

-
Back