Cannot remember how it goes back together .... 273 question

-

Dervco

Reaction score
Where does this thing go on? on which side of the gear? which direction does it go? what is the the purpose of this thing?
Sorry for al the dumb questions, I thought when I took this motor apart I would remember how it goes back together or the manual would show everything but it is wonderfully general.

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 413
It goes on the snout of the crank-facing just like you're holding it in the picture. What it is is an oil slinger, to keep oil on the timing chain/crank gear. Good luck with your build!

yeah its a oil slinger. This thread reminds me of a question I once asked.. why doesn't it have notches or bends ? Answer I was given was "It would airate/foam the oil".

And the big felt washer goes against the timing seal, and contacts the slinger.

I believe the felt washer goes on the outside of the timing chain case, not inside, between the case and the balancer.

I believe the felt washer goes on the outside of the timing chain case, not inside, between the case and the balancer.

Thats where mine is located...... there or it was going in the trash.... I didn't know what it was for actually. lol

The back of my 273 balancer had a rear facing cup that the washer fit in. I think it was there to protect the seal from the elements.

The big felt washer goes in the back of the damper and is against the seal on the outside of the timing cover

Toss the felt......it's not needed anywhere. You especially don't want it inside where it can come apart and clog the sump screen.

The oil slinger? no, it goes on just like he's holding it. The slinger is to keep oil from squirting from the chain and crank sprocket and hitting the seal.

It should go so the OD is away from the chain. That appears to be the way he is holding it, but the photo can be interpreted as one of the those optical illusions where the face is either sticking out or recessed, which is probably what green1 sees.

My understanding is like cudamark's that its purpose is to sling oil away from the seal to minimize oil leaks. It might also help in keeping the timing cover covered with oil to help with cooling. I understand that Magnum engines don't have the slinger, so it is probably not essential. You should clean yours in gasoline first. Don't put anything with dried oil crust inside your engine.

Re oiling your timing chain. 273's had one bolt on the camshaft plate with a thru hole, that allowed oil from the valley to drip onto the chain. It is often clogged w/ crud (see remark above). Make sure it is in the top, passenger side hole. In my 65 all 4 bolts were solid. A better approach is to get the later drip plate. You leave out the above bolt and secure the cam plate w/ 3 bolts. It has a tab that directs oil from the open hole to drip on the chain. I got one at the dealer ~$12.

The big felt washer goes in the back of the damper and is against the seal on the outside of the timing cover

Thank you for that,
I was looking thru my gasket kit (assembling my 273) and saw that big felt washer....... It is on the outside of the motor so it will not end up in my oil, I get that part.

:prayer:

-
Back