Can't burnout:(

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I made a thread about this a couple years ago but have added a couple things and still have same issue. Sorry for the lenght.

I have a re-built 318 in my Duster. It's on the mild side. 340 cam, eddie intake, 4-barrel, a little bit of head work. 904 was also rebuilt but with stock converter. Right now 318 manifolds (will be replaced in the future) and new exhaust. The problem is the car cannot burnout, not even a chirp. But here is what really confuses me:

When I purchased this car back in 2006 it was basically stock. The engine was tired. Still had stock 2-barrel but someone added headers down the road with glasspacks. The 8 1/4 had a 2.45 open at the time. But the car could still burnout when demanded. It only left one mark on the pavement but it still put a smile on my face.

Fast forward a year later we dropped the re-built motor in. Everything was good to go. Timing was set, kickdown in it's proper place. After the 500mile break-in I tried doing a burnout. Car wouldn't budge.

Fast forward another year I had a new gear put in. As of today the 8 1/4 has a 3.21 sure-grip, all new parts. But the car still can't chirp the tires. How can this be? :angry7:

I put the shifter in "1" step on the brake and give it gas. I can feel the rear rise up but the tires do not move. Give it more gas, nothing. Thats when I lift off and the car takes off. But tires don't chirp at all. I don't want to give it more gas when sitting still becuase thats just excessive wear and tear on the transmission. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. I am puzzeled as to how the car can burnout when basically stock but after a healthy rebuild can't do nothing. Feels pretty good on it's way to 5,000rpm. But I feel the car should be able to perform some type of burnout.

Anything helpful is appreciated. Sorry again for the long post, just wanted to try and included everything.

Thanks

It could be that your tranny,s slipping a bit or you have better tires(more grip)Most guys don,t want tire spin(loss of traction).It even could be that your brakes are adjusted so no breaking free.You could back off your rear shoes(you,ll loose some pedal)but your tires should break free!If they don,t,drop in a 340,360,383,400,440,426 and melt away!!LOL! 318=170hp

what about if you just come to a complete stop and slam the gas to the floor? I remember my stock 318 2-barrel had a rough time trying to spin the tires when i put in the 3.21 sure grip 8 1/4 I used to have. My 360 4-speed with the 8 3/4 3.23 sure-grip can melt 'em from a roll.

well look at it this way.1 its keeping you out of trouble 2 the tire shops will not get to know you to well.but if it was mine and i whanted to do that the first thing i would check is the carb.then puting the springs in distrbator. mabe soom more timeing.just to get started. 1rst.what size is carb.does it smoke (black)when you stand on it.

well look at it this way.1 its keeping you out of trouble 2 the tire shops will not get to know you to well.but if it was mine and i whanted to do that the first thing i would check is the carb.then puting the springs in distrbator. mabe soom more timeing.just to get started. 1rst.what size is carb.does it smoke (black)when you stand on it.

If I floor it from a standstill it just takes off. The distributor already has the two equal springs. The carb is an edelbrock 500cfm with larger jets and smaller metering rods then what it came with. can't remember the exact numbers. Im sure a 600cfm wouldn't hurt. No black smoke that I know of.

Thanks

My 273 will give me a chirp and one time it actually kept going until i let off. But then another time I got the cops called on me and they told me they could arrest me for Reckless driving. (Why is it called reckless, Maybe it's because us mopar drivers do wreck LESS while speeding and doing burnouts :p )

I doubt its the 340 cam its pretty mild, I have it in my 73 dart with a old streetmaster intake and a 600 holley basic 2 1/4 duals off off manifolds with a 2.76 gear. It's not a tire burner but does turn em over easily from a dead stop. Wont burn all the way through first gear like my old roadrunner but modern tires are a hell or alot better. Not knowing what your initial timing is set at I would try advancing it to around 10 degrees or so. Also make sure you are setting timing with vacume advance disconnected. Also dont overlook the ovious. Have somebody sit in the car and hold the gas all the way to the floor and make sure the carb is going wide open and that the secondaries can and are opening. You want to make sure nothing is hanging them up such as a carb gasket either. Also when you change from a 2bbl to 4bbl the kickdown length is all different as is the throtle bracketry, make sure the kickdown is not preventing full throtle on the carb, especially if you are using the one peice kickdown linkage its almost an inch longer.

weird, i had a stock roller 318 with perfromer intake and AFB carb and with the stock 14in and even 15in ralleys with 275s I could spin them. Somethings off.

eh... it isnt just you.... I cant smoke em from a stop. I got about 400 hp and a 360 and 3.91's and I can chirp them through the 727 auto with a 3000 stall each time I bang a gear but that it. The thing hauls butt though. However.. couple things... Sure grips are made for tractions, pinion snubbers are made for traction and tires are made for traction. And out at the track.... you want traction !!! its not a bad problem really... and you wont have to buy tires all the time. IF ya really want to do a smoke show a simple line lock on the brakes and you can sit and spin all ya want.

-RPM

Lots of great feedback. When I get around to it a good friend of mine has a dial back timing light. So we'll play around with it a little. I beleive the total now is around 34-36. Can't remember for sure. We'll also check to make sure the secondaries are working properly. When crusing down the road if I punch it then the car takes off, I am assuming thats when the secondaries are kicking in, but I would think it would be a real seat of the pants feeling. Or is that what holleys are for lol Just dosn't snap my neck back when they kick in. But are probably fine. If im on the highway at 70mph am I running on all 4-barrels or still 2?

Back to the topic I know that burnouts are bad for the drag strip causing a lack of traction. But I still think a little chirp should be expected.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

My stock '67 2 barrel 273 with 3.23 sure grip and bfg 245 60 14 will just barley spin and go. I drove it home from storage with the original bias plies on Smoke machine

When I first bought my cuda it was the slowest car I had ever driven. After Carb and tuning work it is quite peppy for a low comp motor. Funny the old solid cam motor makes peak torque @ something like 1600 rpm

It should spin the tire for all of first gear is it's not a sure grip. At least that much. My guess is it's a combination of tuning and general build quality. There are HUGE differences in machining quality and the resulting power output. If a shop rebuilds generally and "also does performance work" they simply may not be good enough or interested enough to get the modern equip and the guys to use it. but, first things first. Work on the tune up. Post some cylinde pressure numbers for it....

i had a scamp with a 340 back in the '80s. i dropped in the 340 with the stock converter for a 318. it was a dog off the line and wouldn't turn a tire until about 3000 rpm. then she would howl the tires through the rest of 1st gear. i put in a 3000 stall converter and she came alive. just a thought, might try a little more converter if you are running a stock one that was behind a stock 318.

total might be 34, but, the more important question is what's your initial timing.

Setting using total is not the best way to go about this exercise. I'd make sure you have at least 14* initial, maybe more. If it's not at least at that point at idle, IMHO, you're giving up a bunch of low end performance. You'll probably have to limit the mechanical advance in the distributor.

But don't give it 14 initial if you haven't restricted the total - or it'll advance to 40 total under WOT (13 in the plate x2 + 14 inital = 40 total)

.........and you'll detonate holes in your slugs!!

i am betting timing. like crackedback said what is the initial timing? are you running the mopar performance distributor or stock? my wifes 318 dart w/ 2 bbl, mopar performance dist., 904, and 3.23 posi gears will burn it from a dead stop (no power brakeing) for about 8 ft. running p205 70 r14 bfg t/a radials.

-
Back