Can't get gas into the tank, acts like it is full, but it is empty

-

Khaki

Reaction score
I'm working on my dad's old 71 Duster. I'm running into a weird issue, I can't seem to get fuel into the tank. When I try to put fuel in the tank I get a little in the tank, then the filler tube fills up and fuel runs out. I know I get a little in the tank because the car runs for a few miles before running out of gas. We've tried multiple times, both using gas cans and at a gas station. It does have that evaporation system tube in the trunk could that have anything to do with it? I've also tried threading a small hose down the filler neck to see if I could vent it, that didn't work. Tried pumping fuel in through that line into the tank, that didn't work either.

Remove the tank and filler tube and clean out the nest or what ever is blocking the filler tube. Could be a dead animal too. Ask me how I know.
Re-install.

Like RRR said, its not venting. Dont know if it has a rollover valve, but something is preventing it from venting.
My 1980 power wagon has a similar issue, but i can get fuel in,its just a slow drinker.

Vent issues cause those issues, as does crap in the tank that gets sucked into the fuel pickup strainer, or a plugged strainer.

I bet if you attempted to pull the fuel level sending unit, you'd be greeted by a full tank.

Drive it until it starves for fuel, open gas cap, see if it will then restart. Driving with cap loose will tell you for sure, If it's still stalling out, it's a plugged strainer or plugged pickup tube/fuel line.
If leaving the cap loose makes it better, it's a vent issue.

Any venting issue should not make it impossible to add fuel. There is plenty of clearance around the pump nozzle and the filler tube to vent any air displaced by the fuel going into the tank. Now, stalling out after several miles could be caused by the wrong gas cap or a non-functional tank vent. But I'm betting you do have gas in the tank and the fuel filter is plugged, the pickup sock is plugged, or there is some bigger problem as noted above.

Any venting issue should not make it impossible to add fuel. .

Absolutely true!! There is NO WAY a 1/4" vent line is going to allow the tank to fill. This issue is IN THE FILLER somehow. Gasket below is deteriorated hanging down, some obstruction, rusted partially caved in, whatever

In some cases it's the station/ nozzle. There's two stations here that run ridiculously high line pressures. Hell you can feel it when the nozzle shuts off. I don't go to them unless "I forget" Both of them slop fuel all over the place and shut off prematurely

Are you sure your tank isn't full of gas already and the fuel sending unit float has just sunk?

As a side note the 71 venting system sucks and often has problems. If you do find a venting issue I'd replace your tank with a 72+. That's what I did on my 71 and it's a big improvement.

if these old cars have sat for some number of years, first thing to do is PULL the tank, clean it, replace or clean and check the fuel pickup/sender, and check tank for any pinholes while out. yes pinholes! clean/replace the ground strap at the pickup, if an original 71 tank, it would have a vent nipple at inside top side of tank and rubber hose to the vent tube located in trunk. 3 other rubber hoses there at that tube. dirt daubbers?????/
and you cold have a dead Iwegian corn mole dead in the filler hole!

if these old cars have sat for some number of years, first thing to do is PULL the tank, clean it, replace or clean and check the fuel pickup/sender, and check tank for any pinholes while out. yes pinholes! clean/replace the ground strap at the pickup, if an original 71 tank, it would have a vent nipple at inside top side of tank and rubber hose to the vent tube located in trunk. 3 other rubber hoses there at that tube. dirt daubbers?????/
and you cold have a dead Iwegian corn mole dead in the filler hole!
This is not related to the fuel issue. I have a Miller plasma cutter that was less than a year old. I hadn't used it for a few months. Went to use it and it didn't work. Took it to the place I purchased it from for repair. It turned out there was an insect nest in the air inlet. Strange things do happen. I now put tape over the air inlet nipple when not in use.

I was reading a thread yesterday on another forum, can`t find it, Guy said he went medieval on his fuel tank, same symptoms, showed a pic of the filler neck cut in half. A tank liner was used and it looked like cardboard was stuffed in there. crazy. Did your tank have a liner treatment?

Ummm how'd a animal get in there?

I'm assuming these cars aren't sitting for years with no cap installed.

Well, I was thinking in terms of my Ford truck. It has a 3/4" vent hose that runs all the way from the top of the filler neck right into its own separate nipple next to the filler neck nipple in the tank. If something clogs THAT, it would certainly slow down filling the tank.

Absolutely true!! There is NO WAY a 1/4" vent line is going to allow the tank to fill. This issue is IN THE FILLER somehow. Gasket below is deteriorated hanging down, some obstruction, rusted partially caved in, whatever

In some cases it's the station/ nozzle. There's two stations here that run ridiculously high line pressures. Hell you can feel it when the nozzle shuts off. I don't go to them unless "I forget" Both of them slop fuel all over the place and shut off prematurely

Have you crawled underneath to look at the tank? I have had the tank implode due to a clogged vent tube. This happens when you have low fuel level on a hot day, and it gets cold overnight. The tank is full of gas fumes in the daytime, which condense as they get cold, causing a vacuum. This can pull the tank flat. In the morning, I was surprised to see the gauge read 3/4 full instead of almost empty. I figured it was the gauge, and went to fill up. I could only fit about 1-1/2 gallons. So I looked underneath and saw a crumpled tank. BTW, this happened in the fall at high altitude in the Sierra (95 in the daytime, dropping to 40s at night). It's unlikely to happen in your driveway, but...

Thanks for all the advice. I would have sworn the tank was empty...... but after further inspection today perhaps the tank is full. The car has been sitting for awhile. I had taken off the fuel pump and used a electric fuel pump to pump out the old gas until the tank seemed empty. Then I put in a new mechanical fuel pump, 2 new fuel filters, and dumped 5 gallons of gas in. Then I'd pour a little more in from time to time. When it would seem like it would run out of gas I'd try to put some more in. Could only ever get a little in.

I will look into the venting or pickup issues (once I get new wheels ordered, since the tire shop cracked my rims balancing a tire). :mad: On a related note, anyone know where I can get some wide 14" rims?

Thanks for all the advice. I would have sworn the tank was empty...... but after further inspection today perhaps the tank is full. The car has been sitting for awhile. I had taken off the fuel pump and used a electric fuel pump to pump out the old gas until the tank seemed empty. Then I put in a new mechanical fuel pump, 2 new fuel filters, and dumped 5 gallons of gas in. Then I'd pour a little more in from time to time. When it would seem like it would run out of gas I'd try to put some more in. Could only ever get a little in.

I will look into the venting or pickup issues (once I get new wheels ordered, since the tire shop cracked my rims balancing a tire). :mad: On a related note, anyone know where I can get some wide 15" rims?
If the sending unit float is full of gas you can easily replace it with a plastic one:
Amazon.com: Omix-Ada 17729.01 Fuel Tank Plastic Float: Automotive

Also, don't use 2 fuel filters, there's no point. Just use 1. Using a fuel filter before the pump is a bad idea and can cause fuel starving issues.

-
Back