Can't get heater box to snug up

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've done battle with this AC/Heater box for days now. I finally got it installed single-handedly, but I can't figure out how the passenger-side heater plenum is supposed to snug up to the cowel. The heater part of the box is attached to the AC section with only one bolt, shown here.
20230916_133201.jpg

On the other end of the heater box (next to the passenger-side kick panel) is a plenun box with a fresh air door. The only attachment on this end is a silly rod/hanger that hooks into a notch in the cowel opening. I have the adjusting screw pulled up as far as it will go, and there is still 1/2 - 3/4 inch gap between the rubber gasket and the cowel.
20230916_132219.jpg

How in the world is this supposed to snug up tight against the cowel????:realcrazy:

P.S. I can pick it up to make contact with the cowel; it's loose enough to do that. It just won't stay there; it just drops back down because there is nothing to hold it in place other than that rod.

Poor engineering, unforeseen sag. You looking for a solution?
What I did was relocate and extend that rod to the front left corner, all the way through the box, with a washer and nylock nut. Paint to match if you think it`s unsightly. Solved.

The rod is what holds it up snugly, tighten the screw to snug it up BUT not too toght that fiberglass is 50years old at least.
If you have a fresh gasket on top of the round gasket it can be tough because the gasket isnt compressed yet, take your time and tighten with little increments as to not crack the fiberglass, i hope this helps...Rich

You have the top end of the rod hung in the wrong place. I did that when I rebuilt the heater box in Vixen. Took me a minute to figure it out.

-
Back