cant get it started!

-

sl6dart

Reaction score
alright so i cannot get my slant six to start its 1973 225 outa a 73 dart sport..i have replaced the ignition module,ballist resistor,igniton coil,voltage regulator,battery, stilll seem to get no spark,im stumped..all grounds seem good,and the motor is turning over just not getting spark,have been testng right off the coil wire to the distrubutor.need help/tips asap its too nice to have my car inside

First, welcome aboard. Might wanna go to the newbie section and introduce yourself.

Now, have you actually done any diagnosis, or is throwin parts at it all you've done?

get a test light and poke around. Put the clip on the battery ground and look for positive + voltage. I would first check to make sure that the coil + is getting power. Then check for power at the ballast resistor. Make sure to have the ignition key in the "on or run" position when poking for power.

Do the gauges get power when you turn the key to the on position inside?

Let us know what you find and we can work from there.

Power at both coil and resistor..gauges working.. Still no spark while turnin the key. But while turning the key off it sparks ?

bet the pickup in the distributor (dizzy) took a dump or the gear striped on it...

There is a common fault in the ignition that will cause a single spark every time the key returns from start to run. My memory fails me. sorry
I might remember what it was in the morning.

There is a common fault in the ignition that will cause a single spark every time the key returns from start to run. My memory fails me. sorry
I might remember what it was in the morning.

yea when the ballast either breaks or the wire to it... you crank it and the ballast by-pass kicks in and will run/start with the keep on crank but not run

X2 on the stripped gear. Pop the dissy cap off and turn the motor over by hand by grabbing the belt and look to see if the rotor spins.

Have you changed the pickup in the distributor yet? Just a stupid question (maybe) but could you have access to a spare module. Just because its new does it mean it good. Crappy manufacturing has caused many a headache on my repairs over the years. Check all your grounds around the underhood area as well. A broken circuit in wiring as in a bad ground will shut you down. So will corroded contacts in plugs too. This ones a shot in the dark as this happened to a 69 Coronet I had back in the seventies but a starter relay went out on it, (the one right at the back side of the battery tray) and the car would not start. Small test for twenty bucks and I bet this part is an old one anyhow, so...... Good luck bud!!
Chas

Power at both coil and resistor..gauges working.. Still no spark while turnin the key. But while turning the key off it sparks ?

DId you check for power at BOTH side of the ballast? Spark when the key is turned off is a symptom of a bad ballast.

With my test light it lights up on all 4 contacts of the ballist resistor and it's reading 5 Volts at the coil..with key in run, so I'm gonna guess it's a bad ballist? Any way I can bypass it to see if its the problem?

With my test light it lights up on all 4 contacts of the ballist resistor and it's reading 5 Volts at the coil..with key in run

5 volts seems a little low. I kinda wonder if the ballast is bad but still makin contact just a little bit.

The ballast resistor has a brown wire that is hot only in start. That wire can go directly to coil + for testing. If you have a new ignition module it should have only 4 pins and require only a single ballast resistor.
Please note; the connectors on the ballast resistor are keyed to attach only 1 way.
I've seen these connectors broken and hooked up wrong before.
I wish I could be more help.

the brown reads 5 volts only in start,my new module has 5 pins, and my ballist has for contact points,blue with yellow stripe,dark blue,black with red stripe,brown

There is your problem. Somewhere the 12 volt for start is failing. The 5 volts you are seeing may be feeding back from the blue hot in run wire. Pull the brown wire off the resistor and check it seperate from all others.
New modules with 5 pins are built with a dead or dummy pin to prevent questions from the buyers.

When I bought my car, I switch it over to a pertronix unit and a complete tune up. Then it wouln't start. It turned out to be the last guy had two wires swapped and when I put it right, did not want to start due to dist. was 180 degrees off. Did that, fired right up.

pulled brown wire off and barely read any volts,really starting to become clueless as to whats going on,, any write ups on how to checks volts etc so i can go threw everything and make sure im getting proper volts etc to everything, cant seem to find anything like that,want to get it running today...even if im just getting spark out the lead coil wire while trying to turn over ill be happy, then i can figure out if its the dissy or not

If you don't have a Factory Service Manual this would be a good time to get one as you can trace wires from point a to point b alot easier than guessing which way it went and what color it is when it got there

Swanny

Your ignition switch should send 12 volts on the brown wire at the ballast resistor and the yellow wire on the start relay when in the start position.
If you are using your key to turn it over we know that yellow wire is good.
Both wires are routed through the bulkhead connector along with a crowd of other wires. One of the 3 connectors there is forward lamp harness another is wipers along with the forementioned yellow wire to start relay, reverse lamps, and neutral safety.
This leaves only 1 connector full of wires to focus on.
I'm not as familiar with the slant 6 wiring so if you had a loose wire at the starter or something like that, I wouldn't know it.
It couldn't hurt to double check stuff like that.

The 73 service manual will be the ultimate tool if you plan to do your own diagnose / repairs

OK, try this

First, pull the connectors off the ballast resistor, the distributor, and the ECU, and "work" them in/ out a few times to scrub the terminals clean. Also feel for "tightness" in the connector

Next, hook everything up "as per normal"

Get your multimeter, and obtain some clip leads, like Radio Shack

===================================================================

AN ASIDE:

It is important to understand how Mopar starting/ ignition circuits work. The ignition "switch" is in reality SEVERAL SEPARATE switches in the one container.

For start, ignition, you have:

In "run" the traditional "dark blue" run (Ma calles it "IGN1") wire is hot ONLY in run NOT in start. This supplies UNfused power to the cluster for gauges and warning lights, and goes out through the BULKHEAD CONNECTOR and supplies the regulator "I" terminal, the alternator field on 70/later cars, electric choke, if used, a couple of other things on later models and..................

THE ignition system, IE "key side" of the ballast resistor.

During start there are TWO SEPARATE circuits 'hot'.

The yellow "start" wire comes from the IGN switch, through the bulkhead, and to one of the push on terminals of the start relay. Hot ONLY in "crank", and is unfused.

The brown "bypass" (Ma calls it "IGN2") is ALSO hot ONLY in "crank", is unfused, and goes from the IGN switch, through the bulkhead, and to the COIL + side of the ballast resistor. THIS WIRE is what fires the car in "crank" because the "run" wire is COLD in "crank."

When you release the key to "run" the dark blue "run" wire is HOT and the brown goes COLD

=====================================================================

SO

First clip your meter up to the dark blue "run" wire and ground. You can access this at the "key side" of the ballast, or hook it to the blue field wire on your alternator. Turn the key to "run" and observe the voltage.

A BETTER WAY is to hook one probe of your meter to the alternator blue field wire, and hook the other probe to the battery POSITIVE post, and read the voltage in "run."

WHAT you are measuring in this last hookup is the VOLTAGE DROP in the ignition harness. The circuit path goes from:

battery -- fuse link -- through the bulkhead -- ammeter circuit -- ignition switch connector -- through the switch -- back out the switch connector (dark blue) -- back out the bulkhead connector -- to the "key" side of the ballast

You are HOPING for a VERY low reading. Anything OVER .2--.3V (3 tenths of a volt) means there is unacceptable drop in the above circuit path

Your top suspects are the bulkhead connector, the ignition switch connector, and the switch itself, and last, the ammeter circuit.

NEXT test the brown bypass circuit. Again, with everything hooked up "normal" move your meter lead from the alternator field to the coil + terminal. Leave the other lead hooked to the battery POS post.

Crank the engine USING THE KEY, NOT by jumpering the start relay

Once again, you should only read a few tenths of a volt.

If both these above checks are OK, you should be getting "OK" ignition voltage from the battery

Next, pull apart the distributor connector and hook your meter to the distributor on low AC volts. Crank over the engine. The distributor pickup should generate about 1V AC. Pull the cap and inspect the reluctor and pickup for rust, debri, chips, damage.

Buy yourself the proper .008" (that's inches not mm) brass feeler and check the reluctor gap. Last time I was in O'Reallys they had them.

Next, "rig" a clip lead to ground and hold it near the top of the coil tower with the coil wire removed. Have someone operate the key and see if you get a nice fat spark. If so, you are OK to this point.

If not, I'd take a good hard look at the wiring. Here are the simplified diagrams for the older "5 pin" ECU and the newer "4 pin" ECU

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/Ignition_System_4pin.jpg

Following the layout of the connectors, you should be able to "ohm" out the wires to make sure you have continuity.

pulled brown wire off and barely read any volts,really starting to become clueless as to whats going on,, any write ups on how to checks volts etc so i can go threw everything and make sure im getting proper volts etc to everything, cant seem to find anything like that,want to get it running today...even if im just getting spark out the lead coil wire while trying to turn over ill be happy, then i can figure out if its the dissy or not

Try this one thing:

With everything hooked up "normal" run a clip lead from a hot point (like the start relay "big stud" directly to the coil + terminal. This will essentially replace the brown wire function for testing

Try and start the car, or test for spark at the coil.

thanx everyone for the help i figured my spark problem out thank to 67Dart273
now to figure my fuel issue out and it should be running!!

-
Back