cant make up my mind.

-
Early As are awesome cars for the money.. I sold a clean slant six 63 two door post valiant a bit ago for 500 bucks and I had it listed a while for 600, so value depends on how bad you want it. Now the car is back on craigslist without the interior for 1200 bucks.. Lol

I sold my 64 barracuda minus motor and tranny for $1500 and that was with the $525 Shorty headers from laysons complete new exhaust and slotted mags. That car was straight and clean. Huge sellers remorse but I'm happy with my 68 valiant.

you guys are making me feel like i should walk away from this one. he is a great guy that wants to see the car go to someone that will get it back on the road. i dont know what to do here. maybe i should just step back and save my money for a driver. i will keep you guys posted.

you guys are making me feel like i should walk away from this one. he is a great guy that wants to see the car go to someone that will get it back on the road. i dont know what to do here. maybe i should just step back and save my money for a driver. i will keep you guys posted.

then he should price it realistically...

heres what you do.. step back for a while and see if you feel the same way about it in a week or so..

non of us have a clue of the shape its really in.. only you know this.. heres the thing. a 64 valiant isn't all that desirable in the first place. i love the things personally but that feeling isn't shared by the money people.. whats the thing worth finished and perfect? 15k? not sure i would even give 15k for a perfect valiant unless the top went down .. so its all relative. worth less done so its worth less as a project...

i know what your saying Joe. I am by no means trying to build a car that i expect to get my money back out of. These cars are not money makers. I dont even plan to sell it. I just dont want to pay too much for it. I think the money is just burning a hole in my pocket. I can honestly say the car is an easy 8 out of 10. no rust. no dents. no damage. just needs a drive train and a bit of interior work. it all adds up though. It is the most solid early A i have seen in a long time. that and its the right year. i dont like the flat front nose on the 66 and up valiants. these cars are light and easy/cheap to build. I am going to buy this car, i know it but i just have to widdle him down on the price or have him start throwing parts into the deal.

just offer him the 1700 or whatever tell him you and your gf are young and just startin out dont have gobs of extra cash but you really want the car for her

Wait a week or two weeks or more... Maybe a month. I doubt it'll sell for half of what he's asking. You could ask him GP list it on eBay and let the market decide or tell him you'll take it for $3000 but drivable.

Ya know if it was a really great car you couldn't pay too much for it but its not. Its a project and it'll take twice as long and cost three times what you originally thought.

we are in negotiations right now guys. he is seeing that his price is not realistic. he is a good guy just is attached to the car and i think he doesnt want to really sell. i think he tried to scare me off with the price. i am going to end up with the car and a few of the parts i need. he has every thing i need to get the car going. if i can get the car for a fair price then we will work on a deal for the parts. dont worry guys i will get pics up soon. she really is a gem.

If he wants it completed he needs to match the market. I own a '65. It's fairly solid, clean, running/driving, almost perfect interior, etc. I paid $4K. Like Joe said - there's no market for these cars unless they are done, jump in and drive, and nice. From what you describe it's at best a $500 shell to me. If he wants it done and he likes you too then he'll sell it. If not, walk away.

well guys, wish me luck. i have $1500 in my pocket and headed over to talk to the owner in a couple hours. we will see what he says. I found another 64 valiant that is a runner with a slant 6 and was in pretty solid shape for $1800. sold about 20min after it was posted but im gonna bring the print out of the add with me to show him what his price could get me.

I GOT THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we settled at $1500 and i get a set of early a body 273 manifolds with the car along with the big bolt pattern disc swap for the front.

it was dark when i went over last night and settled the deal. I will be bringing the car home this weekend some time. he has to pull the engine and trans out of it. i will post pics as soon as i can.

I dont plan to paint this car. i am looking to do a budget street cruiser that my girlfriend can drive around town and to work and back. i will be putting a 5.9 in it with a 904 with a shift kit and 2500 stall converter. i have an 8 3/4 with 3:55 gears and sure grip. I want to make it fun and easy to drive and something she can get used to then take it down the track and see how she likes it. In the end i would be tickled pink if the car ran mid 13s on pump gas and was a dependable daily driver. that is the goal. I think I will be buying the car no matter the price. I guess I was just venting.

I just read that you scored! A thousand off the asking price is pretty good. I'm jealous.

Just as a point of reference, a guy around here has a 65 Valiant and a 65 Dart, both white. I see him him at Ohio Mopar shows that have drag racing once or twice a year because he loves running both of them down the track all day long and his wife is usually in the passenger seat. Both cars are automatics (probably 904) and run the Mopar 4 barrel intake. The Dart is very mild, stock engine with exhaust manifolds and runs consistent low 14's.

The valiant has Headers (Doug's), a very mild after-market cam, and I think small street radial drag tires. That car runs 12's all day long. I think I've even seen daylight under the left front tire of the Val. He's a real friendly guy and one time when I was looking at his cars (he always brings both to the shows) he gave me the low-down on his combos. One thing he did stress is that the Magnum 5.9's are low RPM engines. He had 3.55 gears in the Valiant one year but he said it was out of breath at the top end of the track and 3.23's seemed to be the right gear for him. These cars run basically stock, junkyard, truck 5.9's. he starts them up and...nothing, they are practically silent. True sleepers. I have pictures at home but I'm at work now.

I just read that you scored! A thousand off the asking price is pretty good. I'm jealous.

Just as a point of reference, a guy around here has a 65 Valiant and a 65 Dart, both white. I see him him at Ohio Mopar shows that have drag racing once or twice a year because he loves running both of them down the track all day long and his wife is usually in the passenger seat. Both cars are automatics (probably 904) and run the Mopar 4 barrel intake. The Dart is very mild, stock engine with exhaust manifolds and runs consistent low 14's.

The valiant has Headers (Doug's), a very mild after-market cam, and I think small street radial drag tires. That car runs 12's all day long. I think I've even seen daylight under the left front tire of the Val. He's a real friendly guy and one time when I was looking at his cars (he always brings both to the shows) he gave me the low-down on his combos. One thing he did stress is that the Magnum 5.9's are low RPM engines. He had 3.55 gears in the Valiant one year but he said it was out of breath at the top end of the track and 3.23's seemed to be the right gear for him. These cars run basically stock, junkyard, truck 5.9's. he starts them up and...nothing, they are practically silent. True sleepers. I have pictures at home but I'm at work now.

that is great to hear. like i said i am building the car so my lady can cruise in it and have some fun with it but i dont want to put her in a FAST car. just something that is fun to drive and stone cold reliable.

-
Back