can't open door

-

crazycarmen

Reaction score
The outside button pops back after trying to open the driver's side door. I can't open the door from the inside or the outside. How in the world do I get the door open, is there a trim piece on the inside of the door that I can remove to see what's going on in there? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Go through pass door remove driver door panel (and seat if you need more room) reach in and have fun.

I've seen a few of these latch mechanisms get in a bind that was related to locking while the latch movement wasn't complete.
If the whole issue stems from worn door hinges ( most do ) try lifting on the door why pushing toward closed. If you get the latch to its fully closed position and the lock mechanism begins to work again, it'll open.

wind the window down...take a look down in there. Use some wedges (screw driver) but don't damage the paint. move the door with the wedges up...down...back or forward and use the window down to pull on the door not the handle. It will open

Sounds like it's in the lock mechanism to me.

Have you moved the lock knob up and down while pushing in the button?

With a good flashlight the lock mechanism and latch both can be manipulated with the door closed by using a section of metal coat hangar.

Get in the car, pull the lever and kick the door real hard and it will open. Then adjust the striker. That's all it took when I had the same problem.

My husband is stronger than I am! He was able to jiggle the door, and with a couple of tries it opened from the outside. A piece of plastic fell out, that has a curved part in the middle of it, fell out. It sort of looks like it could have been around the lock button, but I don't know! Thank you all for your suggestions! I might need them down the road!

My husband is stronger than I am! He was able to jiggle the door, and with a couple of tries it opened from the outside. A piece of plastic fell out, that has a curved part in the middle of it, fell out. It sort of looks like it could have been around the lock button, but I don't know! Thank you all for your suggestions! I might need them down the road!

More likely a peice of one of the window track rollers.

If it was a full circle it would be about an inch round with a hole in the center and white.

A piece of plastic fell out, that has a curved part in the middle of it, fell out. It sort of looks like it could have been around the lock button, but I don't know!

Here's a link to a pic of the door lock button ferrules that are on the top of the door panel and help center the door lock button in the middle of the hole. Repopped replacements are available from several sources but this is the only one that had a pic on their website.

http://www.dantesparts.com/doorlock.html

I found out where the plastic came from. Where the door latches there's a spring, and it has plastic around it still, but now some is gone!

-
Back