Cant seperate!!HELP!!!!!

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm tearing down the k-member to send to the blaster and i cant separate the lower arm and ball joints from the "ARM"? thats what the parts book calls it the arm where the strut goes in anyone no of any tricks. i tried the ball joint fork already thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you trying to remove the strut rod from the lca & is it still attached to the xmember?

If you're trying to split the lower ball joint from the spindle all I can suggest is a bigger hammer. They are akways difficult to split while hanging from the car. So much of the lick is lost in part movement. On the other hand...
if the lower arm is placed in a vise with the spindles weight in your favor, watch your toes :)

if the lower arm is placed in a vise with the spindles weight in your favor, watch your toes :)

Just leave the nut on part way when hitting with a BFH....saves your toenail paint......LOL

Impact pickle fork. Buy one with the whole kit. Harbor freight is cheap, ain't like you need to use it constantly, for a living.

If you're trying to separate the strut rod from the lca, it's a tapered fit. You could try mounting the lca in a vise with the strut rod facing down to the ground and leave the nut on the strut rod loose partway to protect the threads. Then use a center punch or air chisel in the center of the strut rod to drive it out of the arm.

Good luck...you can do it. :cheers: I hope this makes sense....hard to type this info...LOL

thanks guys im gonna try thr BFH first.I have bad luck when i leave a nut on the treads and hammer it always wreck the treads!

That was the biggest PITA when I was rebuilding the front end on my '70 Duster. I ended up taking it (the LCA with the 'arm' still in it) to my dad's civil engineering lab. I tried many things (power hydraulic press, various leveraging tools) and finally got it out by putting it in a vise, climbing on top of the table with a really big sledge hammer, and whacking the arm stud a couple times. The stud started to mushroom and crack at the end, but it came out!

-
Back