Car Haul Trailer, Steel vs Aluminum, Which Would You Choose?

-
Pull enclosed 20 ft. with the Cuda or Demon inside with 2009 1500 Suburban. Do long hauls however no extra cargo. Absolutely no problems. Suburban now has 160,000 miles.

I was thinking that I would want to be able to load cars that didn't run and do so as easily as possible. Perhaps a tilt bed with winch?

once I was between having a 1 ton. the wife ( X wife) would not let me use, without a HUGE fight, the 95 3500 to pull my car trailer. I found a great 88 1/2 ton slant. yes I could pull my trailer with a B body on it , down the rolling hills of MO, no problem, ONCE I got it rolling with 4 sp od. !!!???? ha ... was that truck adequate? NOoooo. am I just stupid or brave!???? ha wasn't long before I found a 91 2500 360 truck, SOooooo much better!
I never have had a tilt trailer but I guess it would be trick. I would simply get an 18 ft open trailer, inc DOVE TAIL, and a good electric wench, I have loaded ???? many mopars over the last 30 years and all I ever had was a small hand boat type winch. only bad thing bout the lectric wench is having a charged battery.
all us guys love to argue trucks! I have seen fellow horse people buy a single rear wheel 1 ton truck, saving the cost of tires. even with that size truck pulling BIG gooseneck, they would say it was a mistake, NOT near as stable.
now a bumper bull car trailer is. of course, not the same as a 6 horse ,! but the fact if a 1/2 ton truck will pull a car trailer, , be somewhat fairly stable, BUT not near as well as a 3/4 or even 1 ton, suspension, truck brakes......( the electric trailer brakes don't always work).. the 1 ton is obvious over kill on an open trailer, but for a large bumper pull enclosed trailer....I would not consider anything less than a 3/4 t... and for me, very much prefer the diesel.

Hmmmmm, no, no it's not Gerald....:D

??

I will stick to my guns on this one!

I have a 1/2 ton W100 with 3.91 gears it pulls fine, but if you want to cruise in style long distance with the cruise control set at 75 then you want my 2015 DRW Cummins Dodge!

Seriously the 1/2 trucks do not get it! You are most likely the Guy I am pissed at driving like an old Lady and in my way! Get and drive the right truck for the occasion! Yes sometimes we have to due with what we have. The OP asked for advice and the best was given.

Love your trailer "Dmoore"....

3400# trailer, 3300# Duster = no sweat for my 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins

20150208_170955_zpsl8xthxi1.jpg

I have to go along with the steel guys for ease of repairs and mods if you're not making a lot of long tows. I have a steel tilt bed (that I seldom tilt), with expanded metal floor, a winch and ramps. I can drive right onto the trailer or use the winch to drag one on. The tilt is nice for vehicles that are real low in the front and also can be handy when working on uneven ground.

That being said, my brother has about a 40' enclosed aluminum trailer (5th wheel) that he tows with a Super Duty that I really like as well. I wouldn't want one that big but the big advantages for me here in Utah would be being able to store a car (or whatever) inside out of the weather. Also it's nice to be able to lock things up away from prying eyes. The downside is the larger hole you've got to punch in the wind with an enclosed trailer in addition to the extra weight and the effect on fuel mileage.

But here's where you have to weigh the amount of miles you'll be towing and where against what you're towing. My brother and his riding buddies makes frequent tows out of state with multiple motorcycles on board and having them on an open trailer is just an invitation to getting them stolen. With them locked up inside with an alarm on the trailer they rest easy at night. Plus when he's not traveling he stores most of his bikes (I think he has 14 now) in the trailer which frees up room to work on one or two in his two car garage.

Lots to consider. An open steel is the easiest and least expensive for sure. But an enclosed definitely has some big advantages. kind of like the difference between renting an apartment and buying a house I guess.

I have to go along with the steel guys for ease of repairs and mods if you're not making a lot of long tows. I have a steel tilt bed (that I seldom tilt), with expanded metal floor, a winch and ramps. I can drive right onto the trailer or use the winch to drag one on. The tilt is nice for vehicles that are real low in the front and also can be handy when working on uneven ground.

That being said, my brother has about a 40' enclosed aluminum trailer (5th wheel) that he tows with a Super Duty that I really like as well. I wouldn't want one that big but the big advantages for me here in Utah would be being able to store a car (or whatever) inside out of the weather. Also it's nice to be able to lock things up away from prying eyes. The downside is the larger hole you've got to punch in the wind with an enclosed trailer in addition to the extra weight and the effect on fuel mileage.

But here's where you have to weigh the amount of miles you'll be towing and where against what you're towing. My brother and his riding buddies makes frequent tows out of state with multiple motorcycles on board and having them on an open trailer is just an invitation to getting them stolen. With them locked up inside with an alarm on the trailer they rest easy at night. Plus when he's not traveling he stores most of his bikes (I think he has 14 now) in the trailer which frees up room to work on one or two in his two car garage.

Lots to consider. An open steel is the easiest and least expensive for sure. But an enclosed definitely has some big advantages. kind of like the difference between renting an apartment and buying a house I guess.

Good second post, welcome

-
Back