Car Haul Trailer, Steel vs Aluminum, Which Would You Choose?

-

Kevindc

Reaction score
I've started thinking about picking up a trailer to haul my Dart Sport around on was wondering what peoples opinions are on steel and aluminum trailers. Aluminum trailers look to be 2 - 3 times the price of the steel trailers. Right now I'm driving a 1/2 ton PU if that matters.

If you are only towing with 1/2 ton, you might want to go aluminum. I'm thinking of selling my 24ft Trailer Queen enclosed, for a more practical open model. No more Queen cars for me .If I can afford it, I am definitely going open aluminum

You won't save all that much weight, perhaps 10 percent or a bit more. There's a lot of money difference. WAY easier to fab up modifications on a steel trailer

A good steel trailer is the best IMO. Like said EZ to mod and repair if the need comes. Look at the axles get model number off them, make sure of CAP of each. Should have brakes on all four wheels. Electric is best IMO. Make sure tires on trailer match CAP of axles. IMO trailer should carry MIN 10K Twin 10K axles are best. IMO And steel.

And one more thing, If you can use, a goose neck trailer is lots better then a Ball mount trailer.

alum took over the horse trailer market years back, BUT they are heavy even if alum! ha open car trailer doesn't weight squat! rust is issue with steel horse/stock trailers so alum is the choosen material IF a person wants to pay the price.
open car trailer, steel for sure IMO, I have had both wood and steel floors. some people claim the car will slid around on the steel treadplate floor but I never had the problem. I like treated wood floor and pour used motor oil over it o nce a year... works for me. I pull with a ton truck, but I feel brakes in one axle is fine.
I like 18 ft. 102 in wide, dove trail, if having it custom made I would go with standard FRAME AND HEAVIER AXLES, 6 lug rims. GOOD trailer spec tires. just me.
yep gooseneck pull soooo much better like he said, but cost more for sure.

For the price of aluminum open car haulers, you quickly approach entry level enclosed trailers... my cheapo steelie wood bed trailer has been good to me, and when I upgrade, it will be to an enclosed. If you are 100 percent going open....I would say steel for the above mentioned reasons, and the price difference.

I have a Brimar 16' open steel trailer,one of my best investments cost just over $3k and weights 1500 lbs..my buddy has an full wood deck weights a LOT more then my steel..

I have had both, just sold a Aluma trailer full deck 18' all aluminum trailer. It comes down to two things how much you want spend and how much you are going to use it. If you are going to use it a lot and tow all over the place , then go with aluminum. if you are going to use once in while go steel.
Steel trailer-these are best bang for you money-http://www.econotrailer.com/
This is the Aluminum trailer I had -http://www.tptrailersinc.com/store/OPEN-CAR-TRAILER--UTILITY-TRAILER--ALUMA-w-FULL-DECK-6-6-X-18--GVW-7000-OSCARItem_4=78033.aspx

Aluminum would be nice if you had something you needed to be hardcore on weight savings. I have an 18' trailer that has 2' dove tail and with a standard sized tool box for a truck bed, my Valiant fit absolutely PERFECT. I towed it with my 2014 f150 Fx4 and pulled great. If you're pulling for a profession, then a 1/2 ton probably wouldn't be advisable, but if you haul the way I do, a few times a year, then anything more is way overkill.

I have had both, just sold a Aluma trailer full deck 18' all aluminum trailer. It comes down to two things how much you want spend and how much you are going to use it. If you are going to use it a lot and tow all over the place , then go with aluminum. if you are going to use once in while go steel.
Steel trailer-these are best bang for you money-http://www.econotrailer.com/
This is the Aluminum trailer I had -http://www.tptrailersinc.com/store/OPEN-CAR-TRAILER--UTILITY-TRAILER--ALUMA-w-FULL-DECK-6-6-X-18--GVW-7000-OSCARItem_4=78033.aspx

X10 I can buy a steel trailer here, that you will have to put rims and tires on for $2k, but it comes with junkyard tires and wheels to pull it home.
A sweet aluminum one is 5K, tricked out with aluminum wheels etc.

The aluminum car trailer weighs 1k lbs, the same as my 6 x 12 steel utility trailer.
Steel ones are about 40% more heavy.

My next trailer will be aluminum, because I only have a 1/2 ton truck to pull with.

I've started thinking about picking up a trailer to haul my Dart Sport around on was wondering what peoples opinions are on steel and aluminum trailers. Aluminum trailers look to be 2 - 3 times the price of the steel trailers. Right now I'm driving a 1/2 ton PU if that matters.

It matters!

If you want to haul your mower around a 1/2 ton is fine. Or an occasional 50 mile pull.

You are just going to send the 1/2 ton to an early grave hauling a car. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton to haul it with! I would suggest a diesel. The lighter unit will be better in the long run but with the right truck it does not matter.

I drive a 2015 1 ton 6.7 Dually pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with the Barracuda and cannot imagine trying to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. It just does not make sense.

I only mentioned the 1/2 ton as I would be using it for very limited movement of the car. I would of course get a 3/4 or one ton down the road for longer towing.

I have a brimar 18ft closed deck car hauler. Love it.

Goes just fine behind my 14 ram 1500...but is pretty flat around here. More use, Longer distance or steeper grade and I'd have a 2500 for sure.

I only mentioned the 1/2 ton as I would be using it for very limited movement of the car. I would of course get a 3/4 or one ton down the road for longer towing.

Smart! For you and your wallet!

The 1/2 ton will get you through for short jaunts! An Aluminum trailer will make it better.

Personally I don't think you'll have a problem with a 1/2 ton truck. I've raced with several guys that tow with one. A good load leveling hitch will help.

I have an 18' goose neck all steel trailer that I tow my Dart on and pulled it with a F-250 Powerstroke. That being said I sold my diesel last year and need to make my mind up how I'm going to tow my car. Install a hitch in the bed of my 14 Ram 1500, sell my goose neck and buy a bumper hitch or cut the neck off and build a tongue for my trailer. Most likely I'll install a hitch for my goose neck trailer, it's the least work and costs.

As mentioned 5200# axles at least and I prefer brakes on both axles. Tilt trailers are nice and can be had around here for $4200-$4500. A similar aluminum trailer will cost you $7800, at least that's what the one I looked at was.

having raised, trained, shown quarter horses since I was a kid, had my first truck and trailer at 16, I admit I love talking trucks and trailers. kind of like us arguing bloodlines!
just info, regarding the gooseneck and 1/2ton trucks, realize the total weight of the trailer AND the placement of trailer axles has a big bearing on the weight applied to the pickup, yes mostly on the rear of course. I understand the guy going down the road 30 mi to the local track is different from making a rip 4 states away.

It matters!

If you want to haul your mower around a 1/2 ton is fine. Or an occasional 50 mile pull.

You are just going to send the 1/2 ton to an early grave hauling a car. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton to haul it with! I would suggest a diesel. The lighter unit will be better in the long run but with the right truck it does not matter.

I drive a 2015 1 ton 6.7 Dually pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with the Barracuda and cannot imagine trying to pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. It just does not make sense.

Right on Gerald!

DSCN2769_zpsr5vby1wj.jpg

I have a heavy duty, diamond plated, 16' flatbed trailer that I haul with my 03 Hemi Ram 1/2 ton pickup! This trailer was used to haul a guy's sizzor lift, which are very heavy, and the trailer itself is very heavy! With that said, truck and trailer have logged 1000's of miles together! The truck now has 240,000 miles, and I just hauled another car home last weekend! Can't tell me that a 1/2 ton truck is too light duty, mine hauls this trailer fully loaded anywhere I want to go!!!

Your only talking about a 3300# car. If you have two 5000# axels your total capacity is 10000# . If trailer weighs no more than the car your at 6600#. Assuming 20% ( 1320#) of that weight is transferred to the pickup you have 5280# on the trailer axels ( a little over half of the trailers capacity). I wouldn't be worried about a half ton pickup especially if your upgrading in the near future. A weight distribution hitch with anti sway feature is real nice but not mandatory. Some would not believe what we did with a pickup on the farm. Keep 60% of your weight ahead of a point between the two trailer axels. DO NOT GO TAIL HEAVY.
By the way I prefer steel, you or a friend with a welder can fix or modify it. I have seen some who were supposed to be able to weld aluminum and it failed quickly.

I run a GMC 1500 crew cab has an 11,000 pound tow capacity, I pull my 20' v nose enclosed car hauler with my Cuda in it all over the place with no problems. I did add a brake controller for the trailer other than that its a stock truck with the 218,000a miles. No issues what so ever.

-
Back