Car Lifts

-

KP

Reaction score
With it looking like I may be doing some sort on transmission work I am now looking at buying a car/truck lift (Been wanting one for years and this just moved it up my priority list).

I decided on a 4-post over a 2-post for the following two reasons:
1) Have read too many horrors where one side of a 2-post failed or the vehicle sliding off the lifting point and damaging it and in some cases the vehicle actual fell on its side to the floor causing major damage to the vehicle and possible causing injury or depth to someone.
2) As I get older I really do not want to be getting down on my hands and knees to pull on and line up the extension lifting arms. This being one major reason for wanting a lift not to be laying on the floor under a vehicle.

With this being said here are the two models I have narrowed it down too and looking for some thoughts, recommendations, comments, suggestions.

Atlas 412:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-412-12-000-LB-4-Post-Lift-Two-Atlas-RJ-6000-Rolling-Jacks

Atlas 409-HP:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-409-HP-Two-Atlas-RJ-6000s-Caster-Kit

I have 4 Atlas Garage Pro 8000 4 post models from Greg Smith. Assembled them myself and they work great.

With it looking like I may be doing some sort on transmission work I am now looking at buying a car/truck lift (Been wanting one for years and this just moved it up my priority list).

I decided on a 4-post over a 2-post for the following two reasons:
1) Have read too many horrors where one side of a 2-post failed or the vehicle sliding off the lifting point and damaging it and in some cases the vehicle actual fell on its side to the floor causing major damage to the vehicle and possible causing injury or depth to someone.
2) As I get older I really do not want to be getting down on my hands and knees to pull on and line up the extension lifting arms. This being one major reason for wanting a lift not to be laying on the floor under a vehicle.

With this being said here are the two models I have narrowed it down too and looking for some thoughts, recommendations, comments, suggestions.

Atlas 412:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-412-12-000-LB-4-Post-Lift-Two-Atlas-RJ-6000-Rolling-Jacks

Atlas 409-HP:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-409-HP-Two-Atlas-RJ-6000s-Caster-Kit

as a mechanic I've worked with both, the 4 poster is nice, but you have less acess to some areas of the vehicle, I personally prefer the 2 post

if the hoist is going to fail both will fail badly, the 4 post still has the ability to land a car on its side if the locks fail on one side

that being said hoists have to be approved, and re inspected every few years in shops, its good practice to do the same at home

Craig,
If you were buying again would you buy another model or add or change anything?

The 2 post lifts are more versatile for most repairs. If you have a 4 post lift, you will need the trolley jacks so you can do wheel and tire service and that's where you will spend most of your time with most cars. tmm

I have a brand new Bendpak HD9 4-post lift for sale. I'm in Lewistown, about an hour and a half drive away. $2000 and its yours. I paid $2800 and used it a couple times. Nothing wrong with it, I bought two when I had lots of cars but since sold most of them and only need one lift now.

Attachments

• SANY0013.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 791
I've had a 4 post for 11 years and I love it.
I would highly recommend getting the jack unit too.
I didn't buy it right away when bought the hoist and it was a pain in the butt jacking the car up to get the wheels off using bottle jacks.
The jack unit makes it so easy to get the wheels off. Worth evey penny.

After working as an auto tech for 40 years I would go with a 2 post lift..The 4 post lift is a pain to work on anything first off you have to get the optional rolling air jacks to lift the wheels off the ramps...When the car is on the jacks anything you are working on like suspension, brakes, ect.. the ramps are in your way...Both lifts 2 post or 4 use leveling cables and they keep the arms/ramps even they need to be inpected and adjusted yearly to keep you safe.. The inpection can be done by you and every so often have a lift company come in and double check it...4 post lifts were designed for alignment racks/service lift were you can pull on real quick and off real quick...I think you will regret buying one when all said and done...All the lifts now have many safety features built in and I havent see any failures unless someone has removed or over ridden the safety...I have 10,000 lb Rotary in symetrical and Asymetrical and never had a problem...Just my opinion...Bill

The 2 post lifts are more versatile for most repairs. If you have a 4 post lift, you will need the trolley jacks so you can do wheel and tire service and that's where you will spend most of your time with most cars. tmm

X2 I have replaced many transmissions over the years and worked on 4 poster wheel lifts and they are not much fun. Trying to pull crossmembers and other components to gain access to the trans can be a real headache. Unless you are working on larger vehicles like dually trucks a two poster is the way to go. I have never heard a story of one side of a two poster collapsing in 30 years of wrenching. I have a direct lift 9000 pound lift in my garage I bought barely used for $900. Love it

Just an added note: when buying a 4 post lift the capacity of the lift is before the 2000 Ib ramps are added...Plus what ever the jacks weigh...Bill

After working as an auto tech for 40 years I would go with a 2 post lift..The 4 post lift is a pain to work on anything first off you have to get the optional rolling air jacks to lift the wheels off the ramps...When the car is on the jacks anything you are working on like suspension, brakes, ect.. the ramps are in your way...Both lifts 2 post or 4 use leveling cables and they keep the arms/ramps even they need to be inpected and adjusted yearly to keep you safe.. The inpection can be done by you and every so often have a lift company come in and double check it...4 post lifts were designed for alignment racks/service lift were you can pull on real quick and off real quick...I think you will regret buying one when all said and done...All the lifts now have many safety features built in and I havent see any failures unless someone has removed or over ridden the safety...I have 10,000 lb Rotary in symetrical and Asymetrical and never had a problem...Just my opinion...Bill

Agreed that the 2 post offers more versatility but, if he is using the hoist at home he will require reinforced concrete pads to anchor the 2 post hoist to.

With a four post hoist regular residential concrete is sufficient and he had the ability to move the hoist around with the caster kit if he wants too.

I use mine for storage as well, so I like the fact that the suspension is not hanging down all winter.

It's a compromise between the 2 style of hoists.

I have done a ton of car repair on all of my cars with my 4 post (own 5 cars) and yes sometimes there is a bit of a hassle doing a job but I have been able to work around the issue most times.

Just my opinion...

I have a brand new Bendpak HD9 4-post lift for sale. I'm in Lewistown, about an hour and a half drive away. $2000 and its yours. I paid $2800 and used it a couple times. Nothing wrong with it, I bought two when I had lots of cars but since sold most of them and only need one lift now.

What comes with it (Drip trays, jack trays, etc.)?

What ever you buy just go high quality your life depends on it. I have a 10000 lb Forward 2 post that I am very happy with it. DONT cheap out on a offshore lift, most lifts that fail are imported or misuse by user. Four post is easier to put car on but limit access to work on so take your pick.

I bought this last year. 8000# extended height and love it. The drip trays are cheap plastic but it came with 2 bridge jacks which are great. All told with freight around $3,200.00

Attachments

• image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 751
That is my 65 dart 270 vert 273 car. I've had it just over a year now. It's a driving work in progress. Cool story my father in law owned it and sold it in 73 and the car stayed in the same place and same owner until I bought it in September of 2012.

It looks very nice. I'm putting a 66 dart gt vert together now. Just went to the body ship for paint. Is that QQ1 red metallic?? Looks good!

Tt-1 ruby red. I like it, never been a fan of red cars but for some reason both of the old mopars I've owned have been this dark red color. I'm thinking of going to a b7 blue when I finally get to painting it, but first I have a long list if drive train and suspension things I'd like to do. Is that a scamp or dart on the lift? It's a great looking car, if it were up to my father in law all cars would be green. His barracuda is f5 green and he sold his f3 valiant.

Lol, I think that's F4 emerald green metallic. Thanks, it's a 71 Dart Swinger. Seeing your vert really motivates me!! Paint guy does a good job, just takes him a while. I guess he'll have it for 8 weeks or so. With the black interior and top and the smoked wheels, I'm thinking she'll look pretty

It's a 66 convert it will be pretty. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, I can come up to assist on a Saturday no problem. Are you going to the swap meet in Indy in March?

just installed a Atlas 4 post 8000 ext last friday, in fact I went over to the garage this morning to fix a couple of brackets that were on backwards...and adjust one of the safety locks...

and I have an Atlas 2 post to install next week...I think the 2 post gives ya better access to the underneath of the car...

I bought the 4 post for mostly storage...and the 2 post for working on the cars....

Drove to Phoenix and picked them up....and no sales tax for out of state sales...

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 647
It's a 66 convert it will be pretty. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, I can come up to assist on a Saturday no problem. Are you going to the swap meet in Indy in March?

I am going in March, wouldn't miss it. I may take you up on the help.
Thanks

4 post i love mine 8000# when doing brakes like having a work table in front of you. i have jack stand trays. and one jack.

-
Back