Car paint prices WTF!

-
Wait until they start requiring water based paint. All the reducers, hardeners, etc ... will all be out the window. Can't wait to see what it will cost for that stuff.

Water base is great and if you mess up on the base (color) coat, you can quickly grab the hose and wash it off.

My wife's fingernail polish runs about $4 for a .5 oz bottle. 128 ounces in a gallon * 8.00 an ounce equals $1,024.00 per gallon. Does your paint seem expensive now?

~Michael

Funny!
And,
its just acrylic enamel. Someone is getting screwed!:p

Over twice the cost! The reducer is just demineralized water.The Dealer I worked for just switched and my buddy hates the stuff. He had to buy new guns which gets costly as well. Takes forever to flash even in a heated booth and very hard to see coverage with just the base on. Totally different color after the clear is applied too. I hated it when we were schooled on it at PPG classes! I have no desire to use the stuff myself! I will stick with the Solvent based products.

Why did he need new guns? I use my same gun for both without issue (Sata 3000).

The flash time is very fast if you use a hand held air blower. I shoot both solvent and water all the time.

The only real difference I see is that your first coat with water needs to be very, very light.

If you do a wet first coat with water your paint will end up on the floor.

PPG Shopline base and PPG Concept 2021 clear

Attachments

• DSCN1906.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 341
Why did he need new guns? I use my same gun for both without issue (Sata 3000).

The flash time is very fast if you use a hand held air blower. I shoot both solvent and water all the time.

The only real difference I see is that your first coat with water needs to be very, very light.

If you do a wet first coat with water your paint will end up on the floor.

He was using the same Sata2000 guns I use. I thought he could have bought new caps and needles but the PPG vendor swore he couldn't use them. Vendor probably just wanted to hang him for 3 new $700 guns??

He was using the same Sata2000 guns I use. I thought he could have bought new caps and needles but the PPG vendor swore he couldn't use them. Vendor probably just wanted to hang him for 3 new $700 guns??

Ouch.

Had a chance to use the Sata 4000. I don't see it as an upgrade to my gun but it is a good way to milk a fist full of cash out of a painter.

I have also use this several time. I actually quit using this gun because I loved it so much and was getting very close to buying something I didn't need.
http://www.anestiwata.com/products/supernova.cfm

Ouch.

Had a chance to use the Sata 4000. I don't see it as an upgrade to my gun but it is a good way to milk a fist full of cash out of a painter.

I have also use this several time. I actually quit using this gun because I loved it so much and was getting very close to buying something I didn't need.
http://www.anestiwata.com/products/supernova.cfm

Iwata guns are nice but I like my old Satas'.. Its hard for me to change from something I have grown to love lol. I mean, how can you perfect perfection! Satas' are expensive but they will last a lifetime.

Over twice the cost! The reducer is just demineralized water.The Dealer I worked for just switched and my buddy hates the stuff. He had to buy new guns which gets costly as well. Takes forever to flash even in a heated booth and very hard to see coverage with just the base on. Totally different color after the clear is applied too. I hated it when we were schooled on it at PPG classes! I have no desire to use the stuff myself! I will stick with the Solvent based products.

You can't stick with what you have. Water based paint is what is being regulated for use. Very soon they will not be allowed to make any other paints. Stock up. That's my advise.

Water base/solvent base it dont much matter. The deal is the solvent base isnt VOC compliant. Sherwin Williams has a VOC solvent base over seas that is compliant and they are bringing it to the states if that is the case I will not be switching to water base coat. Im not buying $1000.00 fans to dry the ****.

You can't stick with what you have. Water based paint is what is being regulated for use. Very soon they will not be allowed to make any other paints. Stock up. That's my advise.

Oh yes I can!
No issues with VOC's in Texas. Damn tree huggers are far and few between here. Lol!

The red I used on my dart was $800 for 3 liters. That was 3 years ago.

Water base just needs air movement in the booth to dry doesnt it ? The guns should also just need stainless needles and caps

The red I used on my dart was $800 for 3 liters. That was 3 years ago.

Water base just needs air movement in the booth to dry doesnt it ? The guns should also just need stainless needles and caps
Yepper!

I just priced a gallon of 1991 Banzai blue and was quoted $625.00. What is going on? Its been a few years since I bought paint but this is crazy!

Gallon of Banzai Blue $586.80/gl DBC base reducer $55.35/gl
$112.15/gl Shopline Base reducer $29.20/gl all day long....
I sell autopaint for a living.. You get what you pay for. For an overall use the shopline base with a good clear(dcu 2021-dc4000) saves you money with very good results.
I usually tell people figure $1500-2000 start to finish to paint your own car...
With waterborne basecoat we recommend a separate spray gun, most new guns are stainless inside. The main reason for this is in the cleaning of the gun. Lacquer thinner doesn't clean out the gun, actually make the paint chunky and gummy.. Waterborne has not been fully mandated YET.. In a collision shop enviroment it is the way to go especially for colormatch. Most of the new cars if not all in the last 5-6yrs have waterborne color.

I've heard of resto's done in water and the color doesn't look right... Too clean especially with the mid 60's fine metallic colors!!!!! As far as getting your color online etc.. make sure you get enough to finish the job... you can't drive down to your local online paint store to get the stuff you need to finish the job!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Gallon of Banzai Blue $586.80/gl DBC base reducer $55.35/gl
$112.15/gl Shopline Base reducer $29.20/gl all day long....
I sell autopaint for a living.. You get what you pay for. For an overall use the shopline base with a good clear(dcu 2021-dc4000) saves you money with very good results.
I usually tell people figure $1500-2000 start to finish to paint your own car...
With waterborne basecoat we recommend a separate spray gun, most new guns are stainless inside. The main reason for this is in the cleaning of the gun. Lacquer thinner doesn't clean out the gun, actually make the paint chunky and gummy.. Waterborne has not been fully mandated YET.. In a collision shop enviroment it is the way to go especially for colormatch. Most of the new cars if not all in the last 5-6yrs have waterborne color.

I've heard of resto's done in water and the color doesn't look right... Too clean especially with the mid 60's fine metallic colors!!!!! As far as getting your color online etc.. make sure you get enough to finish the job... you can't drive down to your local online paint store to get the stuff you need to finish the job!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
6Qts of B5 bright blue in DBC cost me $780.00 I didnt know how well it would cover when I ordered it so I ordered 6 qts. I didnt need that much after I had it painted but I have extra if I ever have to do any repair work. I always use Omni reducer instead of DT Reducers.

5 quarts interlux brightside single stage boat paint sprayed with a cheapo tcp global hvlp gun. the paint is hard as granite and has alot of uv protection.
will it win at car shows? no
does it look good as i'm flogging the crap out of my car? yep
done in a condo parking lot, I've got less than $450 into the paint and body work and it looks pretty damn good for my purposes.

Attachments

• 015_1_1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 025_1.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 278
The paint for the Ducati I am doing is $166 a quart.
+1
I low-sided my 996s last fall, busted up the lower and mid fairing, and everything else between the the clutch cover and the drum/hub. Finding out the paint it as pricey as all the other parts.
duc2.jpg

5 quarts interlux brightside single stage boat paint sprayed with a cheapo tcp global hvlp gun. the paint is hard as granite and has alot of uv protection.
will it win at car shows? no
does it look good as i'm flogging the crap out of my car? yep
done in a condo parking lot, I've got less than $450 into the paint and body work and it looks pretty damn good for my purposes.

How did you get by with shooting the car in your condo parking lot?

I shot it when people were at work and there were no cars nearby, and I always did it when the tradewinds were blowin hard and moving the overspray out through the open window area you see in the second pic.

Just a thought here. When I spray water base model paint,I use Isopropanol alcohol,the really pure sort. It carries the paint and flashes off quite quickly. Has anyone thought to experiment with some automotive water base to see if it would work?

Wait until they start requiring water based paint. All the reducers, hardeners, etc ... will all be out the window. Can't wait to see what it will cost for that stuff.
Most of the major players(Dodge,Ford,GM) use water base color. The clearcoat is still solvent based. The fumes from the clear fall down, while the fumes from basecoat(color) rise up. Here in California they tried to implement water base from county to county. Riverside was required to comply and covert. The shops were allowed to sell their solvent base until stock was depleted. The shops somehow got around the law because solvent base can still be purchased today.

-
Back